Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Wood-burning oven for cooking, heat and hot water (Read 7013 times)
David_S
Ex Member

Wood-burning oven for cooking, heat and hot water
Jul 4th, 2012 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
Hello, we are investigating buying a wood-burning stove/oven with back boiler to supply heat to radiators and hot water. Does any know where you can buy them in Spain? Or do I have to import from the UK. I can't seem to find any around here.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Re: Wood-burning oven for cooking, heat and hot water
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
I don't know of any here - all the ones I have heard about and have installed have been imported.

You could try Chimeneas Cardona in Alcanar - they have a big range of stoves but I have no idea if this includes ones with back boilers.

One of the many thing to bear in mind, you can't use a wood burner with back boiler on a pressurised system (which is the norm in Spain) as the boilers are generally rated at below 2 bar operating pressure.

Nigel

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
Also cooking on a wood-burner in the summer??  mucho caliente

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

David_S
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 10:01am
Print Post  
Thanks, Nigel.
About the pressurised system you are referring to the water system?  Undecided The stove we are looking at operates at 3 bar.

Cactus Jack, we would use electric in summer, not the wood burner.

IP Logged

David_S
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 10:32am
Print Post  
Hi Nigel, just checked out Chimeneas Cardona on line and they do have they type of stove we are looking at. So we will go on Saturday. Thanks!

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
A few pointers.....

1. You need a water tank with an indirect heating coil in it if you want to use the woodburner for hot water.  The tank (the hot water part) you need will need to be able to operate at the pressure of your water supply.  The coil will be designed to operate under pressure. English copper cylinders are designed to operate at 1 bar and will swell up like a balloon if you pressurize them.
2. You will need some sort of 3 way valve (normally operated by a thermostat on the hot water tank) to switch the flow from heating to hot water.
3. You need to know the MAXIMUM working pressure of the boiler in the woodburner so you can decide if you can operate with a closed system and an expansion vessel or if you will need to install an open vented system.
4. You will need a pump and a thermostat connected to the woodburner and always powered up so that the water circulates when the wood burner is running and reaches a certain temperature - if not then you may end up boiling the water in the heating system and damaging the connections to the woodburner or worse!

Nigel

IP Logged

David_S
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 6th, 2012 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Thank you!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top