Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
What To Do with a Glut of Tomatoes (Read 11553 times)
avalidopinion
Ex Member

What To Do with a Glut of Tomatoes
Jul 5th, 2012 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Tomatoes and Veg are really cheap at the moment.For bottling purposes we bought quiet a few kilos of cheap toms last Saturday from Amposta Market and the Veg shop just over the old bridge 1st left 1st right. In that shop all fruit and veg are local they even state on the price board where is was produced and all is within 20 miles of Amposta/Tortosa. Anyway below are a few ideas for making pasta sauces and chutneys which will keep for months and months.There are also hundreds of other cooking/Baking ideas.We did some last year and have the last couple of jars left. Its worth the effort because you know what has gone into the jars.  Cool There are also hints and tips from visitors to the site who have tried and adjusted the recipes and their slant on the finished product.Their views are in the comments section at the bottom of the page.

http://www.britishlarder.co.uk/what-to-do-with-a-glut-of-tomatoes/

Yummy_Tomato_Chutney.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Re: What To Do with a Glut of Tomatoes
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Alternatively you could just take them all to the Tomatina.

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
We  dried a load last year and kept them in Kilner jars with olive oil. Garlic,herbs and all manner of flavourings can be used.They take a few days to do outdoors or buy a fruit drier off ebay,will only take a few hours.Plenty of ways to do it,search google.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
There are designs on the web for simple home made driers.  They take advantage of our sunny climate.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

hemyinspain
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 11:11am
Print Post  
I just tried my first batch of sun drying tomatoes. Complete failure. Not sure what I did wrong but really want to try again. Especially using the sun and not electric. I was well chuffed with our home made dryer but clearly it's no good lol I'll have to get researching I guess.
Do others remove the pips and insides?
Any tips would be great
Thanks  Smiley

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Last year I cut mine in half lengthwise ie through the stalk bit and laid them out ,one layer only on trays then put them on the dashboard of my car in full sun facing south for two days with the windows up. Then I froze half and put the rest in jars of olive oil with various herbs and garlic. Works best with plum tomatoes.
Everyone who has tasted them has been impressed. Personally I can't stand sun dried tomatoes.
By drying them in the car there are no insects bugs etc

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
I tried a few years ago - disaster, they went mouldy as it took too long to dry them.

I now have a dehydrator that does the job quickly and efficiently and as it runs off of solar electric the cost is zero.

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2014 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
The trick with drying tomatoes is to get it done quickly, if it takes time moulds and yeasts will develop. Take out the seeds as they have liquid around them, you can add salt, drying in the car or van is a good idea it works, you can wash them in camden tablet solution this slows down mould. They need to be done in two days maximum.
Also plum tomatoes are the best as they have little liquid to start with.
Stored in jars with herbs is well worth it, great later in the winter.

IP Logged

Michael

Village Idiot

Reply #8 - Aug 28th, 2014 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Will this quick dry technique also be suitable for grapes?  I have some seedless black grapes that naturally turn into currants/raisins (not sure what the difference is) in the sun but quite a few end up hollow as something takes its toll - be it time or insects.

IP Logged

Bunter
God Member

Forum Cerebral Bore

Reply #9 - Apr 7th, 2015 at 3:47am
Print Post  
Last evening we used our last jar from last year soon be time to get the pan on. I must say on sale at the moment are those tommies in Lidl still on the stem. They have a lovely flavour however their skin is a little thick one needs to drop them in boiling water for 30 seconds and remove it if you are going to bottle them but they are yummy at the moment. I have just had one sliced on toast drizzled with local olive oil with a twist of pink salt from the Himalayas. Ahhh heaven.  Cool In the coming months when they are really cheap we buy ours from Amposta. Just over the old bridge from the N340.Park just before you cross the main one way traffic road towards the covered market and turn left against the flow and then first right at the zebra crossing there is a very popular veg shop and we buy them there. All the veg are local and even have labels where they were grown. It's not the price it's that they happen to have a great flavour and the bonus is..... They are cheap.  Huh

Meanwhile heres a Spanish verb chart  Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

http://www.synergyspanishsystems.com/blog/why-spanish-verb-charts-cause-failure/...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top