Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 No ITV oh dear !!!! (Read 7135 times)
avalidopinion
Ex Member

No ITV oh dear !!!!
Aug 25th, 2012 at 1:56am
Print Post  
The Directorate General of Traffic (DGT) has announced that it will start a new program of ITV inspections from January of next year.

The project will allow the Traffico to check online instantly whether a vehicle has the correct certification. Prior to this inspections could only be carried out manually by checking the windscreen of the vehicle in question - assuming that the correct and appropriate licence was displayed - however this new measure will now mean that the information will be streamed online directly to each Guardia patrol car.

The system, which has already been trialled in Valencia and Catalonia for the last 18 months, uses existing resources to allow the Guardia to check the ITV status of all vehicles instantly by scanning their licence plate.

Just to remind you The running of English plated cars with no tax or UK MOT means any insurance is invalid. The vehicle can only be given a certificate of road worthiness ie MOT in the country of registration. In the South lots of cars are being seized and scrapped and the owners fined it WILL come to this area sooner than you think and rightly so. This is before any accident these cars may be involved in. Still you will be OK they will not catch you using the back roads and track will they ????? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Re: No ITV oh dear !!!!
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2012 at 8:47am
Print Post  
They already have a vehicle recognition system here.
In the last  two years we have been asked questions, twice while out fishing, (with fishing licences).
The first time they asked if we lived in the village where we were fishing. We said No, but if we had of done they would have known we were telling lies because they had already checked the Spanish car.
Yesterday I read an article stating that not only are U.K. plated vans illegal here, but totally illegal to have any sign writing on them also. So beware!

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2012 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Ritaratbag wrote on Aug 25th, 2012 at 8:47am:
In the last  two years we have been asked questions, twice while out fishing, (with fishing licences).
The first time they asked if we lived in the village where we were fishing. We said No, but if we had of done they would have known we were telling lies because they had already checked the Spanish car.
Yesterday I read an article stating that not only are U.K. plated vans illegal here, but totally illegal to have any sign writing on them also. So beware!

So what is the difference between illegal and totally illegal ??

IP Logged

Michael

Village Idiot

Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2012 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
I guess its a like being a bit pregnant or very unique.   Wink

IP Logged

Eddie_Torres
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2012 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Ritaratbag wrote on Aug 25th, 2012 at 8:47am:

So what is the difference between illegal and totally illegal ??

If paying cash to the Mossos for a Multa, E50 or E100 iirc.

IP Logged

Ebrovoice
Ex Member

Re:checking number plates
Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2012 at 10:54am
Print Post  

Vehicles have been stopped on the motorway  AP7 with GB plates. They enquire whether the driver is on holiday and when did they arrive in Spain and are they on their way back to the uk etc etc. They keyed in the details and it came up on the cops computer their ferry crossing entry into Spain or France, but no return ferry was booked.

They said  though the law states you can drive on GB plates for 6 months, you must start the process within 3 months as it takes 3 months to normally complete.

The driver was not fined but handed a document to say they had 3 weeks  to start the process or their would be consequences. Before the 3 weeks were up the owner received written notification to warn him that he had not started this ball rolling and to do so immediately!

Another factor to be aware of:

If you have imported a vehicle from GB into another EU country eg Germany and paid Importation tax to them and then relocate to Spain on different number plates, not GB. You do not have the 3 months window! In fact you have to change your matriculation over in less than 2 months in total completion or you are stung for importation tax on the vehicle in the EU for a 2nd time and at the % the government lays down that vehicle is valued at- in addition to all other charges.
This is  fact!!! Sad

IP Logged

Ebrovoice
Ex Member

Re: Re:checking number plates
Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2012 at 11:00am
Print Post  

Another point to note:
When you drive across the border into Spain from another EU country of residence you cannot prove date of entry unless border contrl, stamps your passport. Diesel or petrol receipts are not acceptable. You ahve to make an appointment at the British consulate in Barcelona and you have to appear in person now and make a solemn oath andit costs in the region of 157 euros! But you do not get this document that Trafiko needs  on the same day. It takes the British authorities over a week (if they are not busy!) to fwd this document to Trafiko.  They will not accept emails from the consulate to say you have done -they need the document or you pay the tax!!

Nightmare! Shocked

IP Logged

PlanesPete

In the Pink....

Reply #7 - Aug 26th, 2012 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
I'd be very grateful if anyone with direct experience of these measures would come forward. The only case I know of personally is a friend who was stopped and although he had insurance issued by a Spanish co which does not require the vehicle to have an ITV or MOT, simply that it must be 'roadworthy'. He was told by the police, who were on a specific project to check foreign plated cars, to start the process of registration or scrap the car or remove it from Spain. In any case within 6 weeks. That was 4 months ago and he has just abandoned the car on his finca and has heard no more.

IP Logged

Ebrovoice
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 26th, 2012 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
Sent you a pm. Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 27th, 2012 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Hi Ritarabag.
Am I to understand that if I bring my goods from Uk to Spain in my van I am doing something illegal once I cross the Spanish border.??

IP Logged

avalidopinion
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 2:46am
Print Post  
Quote " He had insurance issued by a Spanish co which does not require the vehicle to have an ITV or MOT, simply that it must be 'roadworthy'. "

I wonder why the UK and Spanish governments employ thousands of "Skilled" persons to put vehicles through a test to ensure the vehicle is safe and fit for purpose. All vehicle owners in Spain are legally obliged to ensure that the car is roadworthy. It is a requirement to have a valid ITV inspection certificate at all times. The ITV test is the equivalent of the UK MOT test and this can only be carried out at authorised testing centres. The aim of the test is to ensure that all cars on the road are roadworthy and to reduce the number of accidents which are caused by drivers using vehicles in a poor condition. If you are caught driving a car that does not have an ITV test certificate you can be prosecuted and fined. But when they flog you the "Insurance" even on a UK plated car they turn a blind eye. Angry

IP Logged

avalidopinion
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 2:54am
Print Post  
Quote:
Hi Ritarabag.
Am I to understand that if I bring my goods from Uk to Spain in my van I am doing something illegal once I cross the Spanish border.??

If your van is registered in the UK and has an MOT and insurance then you are OK the problem arises when you are a resident of Spain and using a UK motor vehicle. When you first arrive you have 6 months to get the van on Spanish plates I think if you are already living here its 30 days. You also have informed the DVLA that your UK vehicle is a permanent export you will need that UK paperwork when the Spanish engineer inspects your vehicle  re head lights reverse lights etc, Prior to the ITV test and change of plates.. The form numbers are on the DVLA web site.

If you are taking your car or van to the ITV station the is a good blog below that gives you a bit of an incite and some lingo tips the ITV tester may ask of you. Its worth a read and the comments afterwards are worth noting..

http://www.marbellafamilyfun.com/itv-in-marbella.html

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
thanks! very informative.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top