Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
'La Tomatina' ITS TODAY FOLKS. (Read 6271 times)
avalidopinion
Ex Member

'La Tomatina' ITS TODAY FOLKS.
Aug 29th, 2012 at 12:40am
Print Post  
With barely hours to go before the start of the world-famous fiesta, preparations are under way for the 2012 'Tomatina', which is held in the streets of the Town of Buñol in the north of the region of Valencia.

Up to 50'000 participants from around the world often descend on the Town, which is usually only home to 9'000 residents, to take part in what is basically a giant food fight, and throw tonnes of tomatoes at each other.

The fiesta, which is held every year on the last Wednesday in August, usually lasts up to 1 hour and leaves the Town bathed in a bright red pulp of ripe tomatoes.

Buñol's town council usually bring in around 100 tonnes of ripe tomatoes on trucks for the revellers who descend on the town to take part in the event that has been taking place since the 1940's.

Seasoned regulars come kitted out with goggles and old clothes, some even shirtless, knowing that after the tomatoes have been thrown the council go through a lengthy clean-up process, hosing down buildings and revellers with gallons of water.

During 2010 the Town spent €28'000 of their €70'000 budget for the fiesta on tomatoes alone, with the balance being spent on security, mobile toilets, cleaning services and civil protection.The local major said "I sell em the Toms at trade price init" Despite pressure from the regional government for austerity, the expenditure is expected to be similar this year.Thanks goodness the Major was heard to sigh.  Shocked Shocked

Tomato Source Tumbit.

La_Tomatina_Festival_Bunol_Spain_.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Re: 'La Tomatina' ITS TODAY FOLKS.
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2012 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Seems like another waste of money and FOOD.
Tradition or no tradition!

IP Logged

jollyolive

Forum newbie

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2012 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
you must have seen the jars of tomatoe sludge on the supermarket shelves.................................  Smiley

IP Logged

avalidopinion
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2012 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
No Bulls were harmed in da making of de tomato......Local Mayor Winston Delroy Sanchez and animal lover was heard to say.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

avalidopinion
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2012 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Please see one of my earlier scribes " What to do with a glut of tomatoes" I have Wilfred my faithful Rumanian worker on scene now shovelling tons into my trailer to be made into Aunt Grossmans authentic Spanish pasta sauce. It will be available to all at the next car boot......Buy a few jars whilst you seek a couple of gas bottles. Yummy  Grin Grin
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2012 at 1:07am by »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top