Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
These bloody flies AGGGGGGH (Read 3520 times)
Ewan Kerr
Ex Member

These bloody flies AGGGGGGH
Oct 18th, 2012 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
I have never seen so many flies it is rare we get any in the house but at the moment they are everywhere. I notice our little yellow plane that sprays everyday after they have cut the rice is quiet by his absence. I suppose this is caused by those BANKERS causing this belt tightening by the various Town halls. Cancel all holidays for swallows and put those birds on double shifts.   Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Re: These bloody flies AGGGGGGH
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2012 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Wierd 'innit.  Hardly any during the summer whereas last year they were terrible.  This year they've only appeared since it cools and the humidity has dropped.  I can't figure out why we get so many inside the house.  Only thing I can think of is the compost in indoor plant pots.  I've sprayed ours but haven't seen any effect.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

Ewan Kerr
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 12:01am
Print Post  
FLY FACTS

There are 120,000 species of flies, ranging in size from 1/20th of an inch to 3 inches (Old money)

Flies are the only insect to have 2 wings - all others have 4

After studying 300,000 flies, researchers Dr Yao and Dr Yuan of China concluded that your average house fly carries 6 million bacteria on its body

House flies' feet are 10 million times more sensitive to the taste of sugar than the human tongue

A new born fly can start mating when it is 3 days old

Flies can lay 200 - 3000 eggs in a life time

A female fly can lay 75 - 150 eggs several times over a few days

Fly eggs hatch into maggots within 24 hours

Flies vomit on food before eating it, so as to soften the meal up - you don't need us to tell you that fly vomit swarms with bacteria

Flies defecate every 4-5 minutes

Flies don't bite or sting … they stab

A Fly's vision is only sharp for 24-36 inches

If a house fly spots a group of flies, he will join them. That's why granny's sticky fly paper worked so well - a few flies got stuck and soon all the others were rushing over to check out the crowd

If a pair of flies mated and all it's descendants lived and bred without any losses to predators, then within one summer season there would be a million, million, million flies. That would be enough flies to cover the whole of Australia 11 metres deep …

MOSSIE
FACTS

The average life span of the female mosquito is 3 to 100 days; the male's is 10 to 20 days.

Depending on species, female mosquitoes may lay 100 to 300 eggs at a time and may average 1,000 to 3,000 during their lifespan. 

Adults can live for several weeks, feeding on carbohydrate sources such as nectar and fruit juices. 

Worldwide, mosquito-borne diseases kill more people than any other single factor.

The larvae and pupae stages can be found in a variety of aquatic habitats including: discarded containers, tyres, temporary woodland pools, tree holes, salt marshes, and irrigation ditches. 

Depending on temperature, mosquitoes can develop from egg to adult in as little as 4-7 days. 

The creature responsible for the most human deaths world-wide is the mosquito.

Mosquitoes dislike citronella because it irritates their feet.

Mosquitoes prefer children to adults, and blondes to brunettes.                                          

A mosquito can detect a moving target at 18 ft away. 

There are about 2700 species of mosquitoes.

A mosquito weighs about 2 to 2.5 milligrams

A mosquito drinks about 5-millionths of a liter of blood per bite

The dragonfly is the most feared predator when it comes to mosquitoes. It catches and consumes large numbers in mid air and eats them as it flies
Mosquitoes flee at the sound of a dragonflies wing beats

The welt that appears after a mosquito bite is an allergic reaction to the saliva that is injected into your skin to prevent your blood from clotting

Lots more facts about insects various at

http://www.insectsaway.com/default.aspx?id=5983

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 11:47am
Print Post  
I have found that the allergic reaction that I get from the mosquito is only peanuts compared to the reaction I get from our local fiend the blackfly.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top