Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 Robbery (Read 50701 times)
fatphil
Ex Member

Re: Robbery
Reply #15 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
PlanesPete,
It is nice to have a super dupper alarm,but have you thought about what you will be able to do when it goes off and you are near by ?(unless you live very near to the cop shop and they are not havine a siesta)
We had an incident last summer when 3 or 4 itinerant workers decided to walk across our place looking for the neighbouring farmer, who owed them money.They were not in very sociable moods and I dont think the iron bars they were carrying were for swatting flies !
Police never attended that day and probably never did.

IP Logged

gyronut44
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
hi all,
i have a place near ginestar and somebody nicked my septic tank earlier this year,and it was in the ground,how do you put an alarm on that,nothing is safe,somebody in the area must know where it ended up,a nice new tank that was never used, Angry

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Dec 3rd, 2012 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Unfortunately most of these alarms work off motion sensors, so they are no use to those of us who have cats and dogs in the house. Otherwise it gets more complicated and expensive.
They can be useful to those people who are away a lot though. Does anyone know the statistics on people being broken into and whether they are holiday homes, or permanent?

We have some friends who have a holiday home in the campo near Mas de Barberans.  Just had a text to say they have been broken into for the fifth time in three years.  This time it is the  generator batteries stolen that were locked up like Frot Knox.  They have also been broken into via the roof and have had windows pulled out by the frames.  It has cost them thousands and thousands of Euros in damage and the feeling of violation is just awful, they are desperate to sell but who is buying these days?

In my experience if you live in the campo and leave your property unattended for any length of time you will be robbed with 100% certainty.  We have had dog bowls and wind chimes oh and a plastic rain gauge stolen from outside our almacen.  Absolutely nothing is safe and knowing what I know now I wouldn't live in the campo if you paid me.

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #18 - Dec 3rd, 2012 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
When I was over the other week, there was alarm going off "the night of the storm" in the campo nearly all night long who would have come out that night ? It is really sad to here this sort of thing happening again ,in nearly  ten years I have owned my little bit of Spain, I have never had any trouble in the campo and I am very close to you Pondgirl Smiley but having a old farmer and his dogs just below must be  a great deterrent, as his dogs are out the minute anybody is about day and night, he,s 84 now and I can only hope he doesn't retire to his other house in the town, but stays on as the best burglar alarm money can buy.
If there getting in through the roof !!!there is nothing safe just make,s you wonder ? i am of the main track so unless you know, you would not know guess  there was other buildings about, are they very remote ?

IP Logged

gyronut44
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Dec 3rd, 2012 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
hi all,
it must be easy for these muppets to carry out their work,nobody about,plenty of time to size up the place,then just help themselves when they feel like it ,nobody to stop them,
ive had plenty of damage done to mine,broken windows,cellar door jemmied open,septic tank gone,im surprised they havent stripped it down yet to get the roof and blocks,
i feel like giving up also,and leaving it to nature,i wouldnt feel safe leaving it for weeks on end and arriving for a relaxing holiday and finding nothing there,
its time the scumbags were stopped !
catch them and bury them where theyll never be found. Angry
or better still feed them to the catfish, they dont mind eating s**t .

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Dec 3rd, 2012 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Not remote in that they are on a minor road but there are no other houses around within hearing distance so the robbers can just take their time.  The damage caused by the burglars is horrendous beause they smash into the property, last time most of the bathroom was damaged when they came in through the roof and they have had every piece of copper pipe ripped out.  A local friend of ours had his almacen robbed when he was working on his finca.  He never heard anything because he was on his tractor.  We always keep ours locked if we cannot see it from where we are working and I photograph any car paked near us. 

We genuinely feel that Cat Aigua did us a favour when they eventually refused us planning permission for rebuilding the moli.  I cannot imagine how we would ever have got anything built without sleeping onsite permanently to stop thieving.  We've now built a house in the village and I have none of the worries I would have done if we were living in the campo.

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #21 - Dec 3rd, 2012 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
I know this is a bit risky saying but every morning there is a gang of African workers at the roundabout at top of Ravel de Christ by the turn off to Mas de Barberians,  they look very dodgy to me, and you know that are going to be hard up and desperate for cash.

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Dec 3rd, 2012 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Could be anyone couldn't it?  When we were robbed a couple of years ago the police caught the thieves (I think we may be unique in that) and they were Catalans.  25% unemployment and very little help in the way of benefits, I can't see the situation improving any time soon.

IP Logged

bruixot
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Dec 3rd, 2012 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
This is very sad for the people involved and I really feel for anyone it happens too.  Having said that after 8 years out here I know more people who haven't been burgled than who have. Empty houses anywhere attract lowlifes. I suspect location and access is also an issue for some properties.
Bruixot

IP Logged

Michael

Village Idiot

Reply #24 - Dec 4th, 2012 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
I dare say a combination of (smart) alarms, cameras, dogs etc. all make for a good deterrent but the addition of a gun toting neighbour with a 'shoot first ask questions later' attitude as we have probably does no harm.

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Dec 4th, 2012 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Michael wrote on Dec 4th, 2012 at 9:02pm:
I dare say a combination of (smart) alarms, cameras, dogs etc. all make for a good deterrent but the addition of a gun toting neighbour with a 'shoot first ask questions later' attitude as we have probably does no harm.

None of these things help if you have a holiday home here and live in another country most of the time.

IP Logged

gyronut44
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Dec 4th, 2012 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
hi all,
i have spoken to couples there who cant even go back to the uk together,one of them has to stay there to guard their place,what a terrible situation,
even going out for the day together is out of the question,
how long is it going to be before this situation changes,its rediculous,and im pretty sure the local polis couldnt care less,but i bet if you had a dodgy tyre on your car they would soon pay attention,i
f you live in the campo you have no rights,to the spanish you are just a gypsy and of no consequence to them!

IP Logged

PlanesPete

In the Pink....

Reply #27 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Pondgirl, a smart alarm does work, but only if you co-operate with neighbours who will respond when it goes off. I respond to several neighbours holiday homes. On my advice they have sensors outside the property to catch anyone sniffing about. I get a call about once a month but by the time I get there (2-5 mins) the siren, or me approaching has scared them off.

Gyronut, if you get to know your Spanish neighbours, even if they just come out to tend the land, and get to know the Policia Local then your treatment and opinion will change. The Spanish are certainly no worse than the English in the UK when a 'foreign' family moves into their street. If the newcomers try hard to integrate then they are accepted.

IP Logged

gyronut44
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
hi, where i have my house there are no spanish neighbours,my neighbours are british,and i get on great with them,but ill tell you a wee story about my other piece of land and my lovely spanish neighbours who have forced me to spend a load of euros to have a survey carried out to claim back a large chunk of my land that they said was theirs,6000 square metres worth,
one cultivated 2000 square metres worth just after i bought the land 6 yrs ago then planted half a dozen trees on it then never touched it again,
it cost me a lot of hassle to try and sort that problem out,he even threw the boundary markers that i had put out away at least 3 times,
no wonder im angry ,i have had 6 yrs of it ,dodgy estate agents ,annoying neighbours ,crooked mayors ,extortionate incompetent lawyers and theivin bams that would have the sugar out your tea,,ive had it all,my missus cant stand the sight of the place anymore,
im glad my local british neighbours have been decent otherwise i would have given up on the place myself,
its certainly not how i imagined my place in the sun was going to be , Angry
i guess i have either been really stupid or helluva unlucky
it all started to go wrong when i met a certain black estate agent ,(no names but you know who i mean)

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Dec 6th, 2012 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Gyronut,you are not alone with your story regarding neighbours claiming rights to land (in this region) that did not belong to them.I have heard this story time & again,i am sorry to say.   Sad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top