Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
 25 Robbery (Read 50699 times)
Pondgirl
Ex Member

Re: Robbery
Reply #30 - Dec 6th, 2012 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
PlanesPete wrote on Dec 5th, 2012 at 5:01pm:
Pondgirl, a smart alarm does work, but only if you co-operate with neighbours who will respond when it goes off. I respond to several neighbours holiday homes. On my advice they have sensors outside the property to catch anyone sniffing about. I get a call about once a month but by the time I get there (2-5 mins) the siren, or me approaching has scared them off.

Gyronut, if you get to know your Spanish neighbours, even if they just come out to tend the land, and get to know the Policia Local then your treatment and opinion will change. The Spanish are certainly no worse than the English in the UK when a 'foreign' family moves into their street. If the newcomers try hard to integrate then they are accepted.

The problem for our friends is that it is a holiday home in the campo with no near neighbours.  Even if were were able to respond to an alarm immediately from our home it would be at least 10 minutes before we could get there.  Do smart alarms run off of batteries because their electrical supply is from a generator.  At least it would be if it hadn't been stolen.

IP Logged

Eddie_Torres
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Dec 7th, 2012 at 9:25am
Print Post  
All "proper" alarm systems run off batteries as thieves often cut power and phone lines

You can use a UPS battery for a computer to power your own solution easily enough.

Thieves here usually try to pry open a window, set off the alarm without causing obvious damage, then lie in wait nearby to see who turns up.

The new trick is to rob you, then stash the loot somewhere nearby, so they are not caught red handed unloading stolen goods at home. The women come by a day or two later and innocently "find" your stuff in the barranque .... So, if you get robbed, have a good look around, put yourself in the  thief's shoes.

IP Logged

robo
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Dec 7th, 2012 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
the problem is all the locks and alarms and every thing else that you do to make your property safe will only deter honest people if some one is determined to rob you they will, we used to have a shop in liverpool i had all the top tec alarms linked to a police station 1 mile away we still got robbed 4 times in 10 years the police never turned up once when the alarm went off, we had the till robbed in broad daylight 8 bobbies where on the scene with in minutes even when they where told by a witness which way the culprits had run and who they where they managed to run the in the wrong direction and although the name was given to them they still failed to apprehend him, the culprit died with in 12 months sometimes things go your way

IP Logged

jools
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Dec 9th, 2012 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
Hi Penny,
Was just looking through posts over the last couple of weeks, and sorry to hear about your friends place being burgled again.
What upset me more than anything was your own comments about not living on the campo if somebody paid you.
I remember when you first joined the forum, when you were posting about your experiences of buying you own property, it was always so full of enthusiam and positive energy.
Did you finish renovating your mill in the end? I do hope so.
Jools

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Hi jools, no it never happened.  Although we bought the property with planning permission already in place and although we spent thousands on newer and better (more sympathetic) architect's plans, Cat Aigua decided that they would retrospectively refuse permission as the property could be subject to flooding.  It's an old water mill we were prepared for that, but they wouldn't budge.

We have, just last Friday, 5 years and 11 months later,moved into our new house that we have had built from scratch in Mas de Barberans and we love it, we have fabulous views out across to the Ebro Delta and the village is a really lovely place to live.

Thanks for asking

IP Logged

jools
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Dec 11th, 2012 at 12:14am
Print Post  
Sorry about your old mill, but congratulations on your new property, have a glass of wine for me.

I think sometimes things happen for a reason though, and it can be an enormous learning curve here.

I originally bought a finca in Catalunya, with plans to import a red cedar wood house from Canada, and was told by the Spanish estate agent that I could connect to water 'next door' and electricity 'just over there', how green behing the gills I was.............BUT............without that happening, I wouldn't be doing what I do now or living in a town, which I have to admit is better for us, I think I was having a mid life crisis when thinking of living in the middle of nowhere.

He is now out of business, as are most of the 'cowboys' further inland, so what goes around as I say!

So pleased that you have finally found what your happy with.
Good luck 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top