Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
UK in the EU ?? (Read 1568 times)
ddspain
Ex Member

UK in the EU ??
Nov 12th, 2012 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Has anyone seen any good articles about the possibilities of the UK leaving the EU?
Is it at all a possibility, or extremely unlikely?
I would have thought that if the UK were to leave the EU, then we would all be stuffed for reciprocal healthcare etc.
This would then also affect property prices, as few Brits would want to move abroad. It does seem a little worrying.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Re: UK in the EU ??
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2012 at 7:38am
Print Post  
More worrying surely is Artur Mas' idea of Catalunya becoming independent. They would then have to apply to the EU for membership and it's not guaranteed.

He says they will hold a referendum - but who will get to vote?? In the upcoming Catalan parliamentary elections us 'foreigners' do not have the right to vote - it appears we can only vote in the local elections and the European parliamentary elections.

So, where is the democracy? What say do the 1000's of foreigners living and registered here have over their future?

IP Logged

JamJarChris

Power to the peaceful

Re: UK in the EU ??
Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2012 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Catalonia becomes independent -> will then have to apply to be part of of the EU. Cat pesetas coming to a town near you...
(unless they can arrange a fudge - call me cynical but that would be probably likely)

Catalonia out of Spain -> Spain being unable to service it's debts -> Spain out of Europe (or bringing the whole shooting match down)

Catalonia may well do better out of Spain, but how well it would do out of Europe is another thing.

All in all interesting times, but then I suspect that a lot of Catalans do not want independence just yet. They would have to kiss goodbye to the rather large sum of money that Spain currently owes them...

My 2c worth anyway.

quod ambit, redit
GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top