Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16 Send TopicPrint
 25 Loss of UK TV channels (Read 158382 times)
Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Re: Loss of UK TV channels
Reply #75 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Good news for us (probably) but bad news for SES-Astra..

The latest launch failed after 10 seconds with the launch rocket exploding.
This means a delay so we have a bit more time until the channels move.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #76 - Aug 15th, 2013 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Latest news from ILS (international Launch Services) is that Astra 2E is scheduled for launch on 15th September. There will then be a testing period at a different orbit position before its relocation to its final position, 28.8 degrees. It will then be handed over for service.

As a rough guess the handover will be some time at the beginning of October.

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #77 - Sep 14th, 2013 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Launch tomorrow 15th. Sept.
May get through to November, now, Nigel?
Keep us all posted, please.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #78 - Sep 14th, 2013 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Yet again it has been delayed - about a week so they say so on that basis it should be next weekend. At least it gives us a few more days.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #79 - Sep 29th, 2013 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
Astra 2E has just been launched (23:39) and all looks ok so far. It takes about 9 hours for the mission to complete so by the morning it should be in its testing orbit.

Next phase will be tests (if I recall it's at 43 or 45 degrees) before it is moved to 28.3 degrees and put into operation.. the clock is ticking...

IP Logged

santsalvador
Ex Member

Reply #80 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
THE END IS NIGH!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #81 - Oct 5th, 2013 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
One of the biggest changes in satellite TV delivery to the UK and Ireland for many years is under way.
Dishes pointing towards 28.2º east receive UK satellite channels from two operators: SES Astra and Eutelsat.
Up to now, bands of frequencies have been distributed between the two rivals.
SES claimed that Eutelsat's licence to use some of the these expires on 4th. October 2013.
SES went to the International Chamber of Commerce in Paris to try to prove it had a right to use the bands in place of Eutelsat. After a year's legal battle, and following a court ruling in Germany, SES announced it would take over the disputed frequencies of 11459 - 11700 Mhz and 12500 - 12750 Mhz after 4th. October. This claim has been hotly disputed by Eutelsat, which has operated the bands since 1999, though it appears to have now conceded defeat.
Channels broadcast in the contested 500Mhz of spectrum will change frequency over the next ten days, with some 300 channels moving to Astra's satellites.
The switch will be in two phases. Some channels are moving temporarily to Astra 1N's Europe beam by 3rd. October, then moved in phases to Astra 2F's European beam over the following seven days.
Principal channels affected by the change include:
BT Sport 1 & 2, BT Sport 1HD & 2HD, TCM, The History Channel, National Geographic, Fox News, Sky Living It, Comedy Central, Nick Jr, Al Jazeera English, Kiss 100 Radio, Magic 105.4FM Radio, Jazz FM, Absolute Radio, XFM, Capital FM.
Viewers with Sky and Freesat receivers need take no action, these boxes will update automatically.
Free to air receivers have no way to auto update and will need retuning.
Some in fringe areas will see better reception, some in eastern Europe will lose channels completely.
It's probable SES Astra anticipated that they would win the battle some time ago: this may be the reason Astra 2F has been kept largely empty of channels until now.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #82 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 8:26am
Print Post  
Astra 2E is now in a testing orbit at 43.5 degrees. There have been some activity (test signals but not channels) and I have been able to detect a signal using a 1.9m dish - the signals are weak (as with Astra 2F) and I've yet to compare them but at least there is a signal.

Update:
The signal strength from 2E seems to be about the same as Astra 2F so the mínimum dish size will be 1.9m
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2013 at 9:52am by Nigel »  
IP Logged

phoebedog

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #83 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Hi Nigel,  I have a one metre dish that I installed my self.  It works fine for all the channels (except five and related channels).  On the sky signal test it shows signal strength about three quarters and quality about half.  When its windy or heavy rain this varies although rarely affects reception.  The thing is some times, and I don't check that often I get a picture on channel five. Its usually blocky with broken sound and after a while it reverts to the sky no signal screen. Does this mean the after the change over it might be possible to fiddle about with my dish to get a better signal and possibly get the channels I want.
I don't know much about the technology involved in all this, and I have researched on the internet but there seem to be many different views, from we are all doomed to there will be no change.  Does your 1.9 dish point the same way that our dishes point now.
Thanks Bill

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #84 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
It means you'll have a nice new 1 metre paella dish. All the BBC and ITV channels will go the same way as C5, 5*, 5 USA etc. that disappeared last december.

For a list of the channels that will go (at some point later this year most likely) check http://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-1N.html - Astra 1N is due to move and will have its channels moved to Astra 2E

On a 1.9m dish (yes it points the same way as yours) I get C5 etc. no problem.

Occasionally I have managed to get C5 on a 1.2m dish (2/3am) but during the day little more than an occasionally broken signal as you have experienced.
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2013 at 6:02pm by Nigel »  
IP Logged

santsalvador
Ex Member

Reply #85 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
Hi. Isnt this all just speculation at the moment, no one seems to know whats going where, especially as regards the Pan European Beam, that we will get in Spain, what channels are going on there, ive asked all over the internet and no one knows, wait and see, I'm told.
Terry.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #86 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 8:49am
Print Post  
Yes and no.
There are 2 beams on Astra 2E. A UK spot beam and a pan-european beam. The UK spot beam is much tighter over the UK than any other existing beam from any of the Astra satellites.  C5, 5USA etc. moved onto the UK spot beam on Astra 2F last december, we then lost them on 1.2M dishes.

Astra 2E is theoretically identical to Astra 2F and will have the same footprints.

The BBC announced in december that they would be moving to Astra 2E:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/blogaboutthebbc/posts/Changes-to-BBC-Satellite-transp...

Astra 1N is due to be moved and so it's channels will be moved onto another satellite, almost definitely 2E, this is where all the BBC and ITV channels are.

2E is in orbit, is being tested and, from the signal levels I've seen, is comparable with 2F so hopefully we will get sufficient signal from it but with a larger dish.

So, those are the facts. The rest is speculation but makes sense.

The BBC and ITV have no reason to broadcast to Europe - they get no financial benefit as noone pays a TV licence and advertising is targeted at UK residents so they will move their services to the UK spot beam to attempt to restrict access to their programming from outside the UK.

SKY shouldn't broadcast to Europe but do. SKY receive financial benefit from subscribers so are well aware they would lose millions in revenue if they moved to the UK spot beam so any channels they move will almost certainly move to the pan-european beam.

One other point to clarify - SKY do NOT broadcast the BBC or ITV programmes - they come from a different provider - Freesat.  Just because the BBC etc. channels are on a SKY digibox does not mean you will continue to receive them after the moves. BBC and ITV channels are NOT part of the SKY subscription package.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #87 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
I finally got round to doing some testing around the area with a 1.9Mdish (it's not that easy as you can't just pop it in the back of the van!).

It's obviously still speculation on what will happen but if, as they say, the footprint is idéntical then the results are valid. If there is no signal from 2E then they are even more important. If it has a strong signal here then they are invalid. But at least this gives a picture of the current situation.

So results:
Mora (near Mora Caravans) - very weak signal
Tivissa (lost in the hills somewhere Smiley - very weak signal
So for Mora and Tivissa area you will need a 2.4 or 3M dish.

Burgar Valley (between Rasquera and El Perello) K13 - signal on 2 out of 5 transponders and 1 had an occasional lock.
El Perello outskirts, just off KM1108 (L'Ametlla side) - signal on 3 out of 5 transponders.
L'Ampolla - signal on 4 out of 5 transponders.
Tortosa - signal on all 5 transponders.

So for the Burgar, El Perello and L'Ampolla a 1.9 may be sufficient if you are prepared to lose a few channels (and I have no idea which they might be), if not then a 2.4M

For Tortosa a 1.9M should be fine.

From the results I would guess that L'Ametlla will also need a 2.4 or 3M dish.

So, as I suspected, the further north the less signal however I'm suprised at how quickly it has dropped off.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #88 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Your efforts to keep us up to date are much appreciated Nigel.  Dishes of those sizes will be pretty expensive I guess and will need to be ground mounted. ?

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #89 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Yes and yes.

A 1.9M dish Works out at 850 euros fitted (with a single LNB) and needs a (supplied) Steel cage with mounting bolts casting into a min 1M/1M concrete base - the construction of the base isn't included.

A 2.4M dish Works out at 1500 euros.

A 3M is approx 1900 euros (to be confirmed).

It is not posible to mount any of these on a Wall.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top