Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Olive mills (Read 13039 times)
Bulldog

Forum newbie

Olive mills
Dec 7th, 2012 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Hi all,
He finally got round to picking some olives this year. He took them to our local mill in Els Reguers and was told by the man at the mill he could not buy them. Are there any mills locally and do you need a certain amount before they buy them?
Yours Bulldog.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Re: Olive mills
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2012 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
As far as I know there is a minumum (though I don't know what it is) and you may have to be a member if you go to a cooperative.  If you only have a small amount you can take them to a mill and pay them to process them into oil for you.  The alternative is to pickle them if they're in good condition.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

ddspain
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2012 at 10:16am
Print Post  
You can take them to Amposta. They will take whatever and no need to be in Co-op. It is behind Suimplast (big plumbers merchants). Paying about 30 cents off the tree, not sure if that is any good.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2012 at 10:30am
Print Post  
30 cents sounds OK.  My neighbor only got 22 cents.

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #4 - Dec 8th, 2012 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Many thanks all. Arrived on finca after Place in the Sun ( hit man hired to track down the producer as he said olives worth thousands of euros ) First year here started to gather the olives, hand picking. Visions of new Merc. car/yacht ( don't know why can't sail or swim ) Then met my first snake fell out the tree end of olive picking for first year. This year after much persuasion/harassment then downright violence from her indoors started olive picking again to keep other half happy. Much pain and suffering and many sacks later, the hunter gatherer left the shack on the hill with head held high, talking to myself on colour of new Merc. car with a chest full of British pride now having put Italy out of olive oil production and willing to bargain on the fast sum of money I was willing to except for my top quality olives. Imagine my utter shock when mill owner said NO to olives and go. Had a hissy fit all the way back to the shack on the hill. So over a cup of tea and 3 digestives with a demented look on my face armed with axe and saw I thought to hell with olive farming and up with the lumber jacking.
Yours a some what poorer but wiser Bulldog.

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #5 - Dec 8th, 2012 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Aahh, you poor old thing.
Violence from Mrs Bulldog. Never.
So no new Merc, or yacht for you. The yacht would have been handy, a couple of weeks ago!
Olive logs make good burning, I believe. So should keep you warm for a while. You could always sell logs, and maybe get a second hand Merc, with the proceeds.

IP Logged

John
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2012 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Bulldog wrote on Dec 8th, 2012 at 3:06pm:
Many thanks all. Arrived on finca after Place in the Sun ( hit man hired to track down the producer as he said olives worth thousands of euros ) First year here started to gather the olives, hand picking. Visions of new Merc. car/yacht ( don't know why can't sail or swim ) Then met my first snake fell out the tree end of olive picking for first year. This year after much persuasion/harassment then downright violence from her indoors started olive picking again to keep other half happy. Much pain and suffering and many sacks later, the hunter gatherer left the shack on the hill with head held high, talking to myself on colour of new Merc. car with a chest full of British pride now having put Italy out of olive oil production and willing to bargain on the fast sum of money I was willing to except for my top quality olives. Imagine my utter shock when mill owner said NO to olives and go. Had a hissy fit all the way back to the shack on the hill. So over a cup of tea and 3 digestives with a demented look on my face armed with axe and saw I thought to hell with olive farming and up with the lumber jacking.
Yours a some what poorer but wiser Bulldog.   

Why would the mill owner say no? and what does it cost to join a co-op these days?

It seems to me like having a farm in Spain is a waste of time if you can't sell your crops. What's the point? How do the locals make it work?

Yours,
Confused.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2012 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
A properly managed grove should consistently produce an average of about 4 tonnes/acre so at current prices for clean olives that's about 1,200 €.  If you factor in the cost of spraying, harvesting and pruning etc. it's not going to give anyone a living.

IP Logged

PlanesPete

In the Pink....

Reply #8 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Well, that means an average 2 hectare finca with 6 acres of olives makes €7200. Knock off as couple of hundred for spraying and do the rest yourself. It's not bad beer money, about what our basic costs are for living here. On the other hand, if you invested the capital at 2% pa you would only need to put €350,000.00 in the bank for the same return. Mind you, UK inflation is at 2.7% so that won't work.
I think I will keep bringing them in.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #9 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
So are you saying Pete that you have 6 acres of olives and you're collecting 24 tonnes of quality fruit and doing the maintenance yourself ?  I'd be interested to hear what kit you have (or do you hire it in), ?

IP Logged

John
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
1 Hectare is 2.5 acres so a 2 Hectare site is only 5 acres not 6.
1 Hectare is exactly 10,000 m2 - the same as a full size football pitch.

On the matter of Olive groves:
In some parts of the Meditereanean area (parts of Greece and Italy for example), olive trees are spaced so closely that the trees almost touch and are hardly pruned. Whilst I understand the need for pruning, I don't understand why do the Spanish grow them so far apart with similar climates and rainfall to those other areas? Surely this reduces the amount of crops one can expect?  Is it just a cultural thing or is there a valid reason? I was thinking of planting more olives in between existing trees to close the paces up and increase yields.

hope someone can give a valid reason,
John.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #11 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 5:26pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #12 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Most of the orchards here are planted on a 7/8m spacing but most of the orchards are very old so there's no way of knowing if the original density was higher and they've been thinned over time as the trees got broader.  There are couple of newly planted orchards near me.  I'll see if I can do a quick measure.

IP Logged

John
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks Bigyin,
The two links are very helpful. I have a lot of very young olives which need to be transplanted into final places so this information is especially welcome.  Smiley

John.

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
PlanesPete wrote on Dec 10th, 2012 at 12:35pm:
Well, that means an average 2 hectare finca with 6 acres of olives makes €7200. Knock off as couple of hundred for spraying and do the rest yourself. It's not bad beer money, about what our basic costs are for living here. On the other hand, if you invested the capital at 2% pa you would only need to put €350,000.00 in the bank for the same return. Mind you, UK inflation is at 2.7% so that won't work.
I think I will keep bringing them in.

I think the maths can be made to look good on paper if you can include the grant,as with most business plans,the practicality of it is so much different.Factor in bad years,cost of water plus well maintainance etc etc,fertiliser,wastage,fluctuating prices at the mill,transport. It all adds up ,otherwise everyone would be doing it. Hazelnut had it right....cut em up and use em on the fire Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top