Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Newcomer :) (Read 5881 times)
ulrika
Ex Member

Newcomer :)
Jan 7th, 2013 at 5:21am
Print Post  
Great beginning of 2013 finding this forum!

Me and my husband are thinking of buying a house somewhere in the Tortosa district. We have been to Tortosa twice and on thursday it is time again.. Smiley

We are swedish, children are growing up, winter is getting on our nerves, the cold bites harder every year... We work in Sweden but work that does not demand us being here all the time so hopefully, if we find the right property for us, we´ll move part time to Spain.

Anyway, finding this forum was heaven sent. We don´t speak catalan nor spanish - yet  Tongue - and already we´ve found answers to many of our questions here. We hope to learn more about living in Spain through this forum and perhaps even contribute one day Smiley It´s like a local guide to Tortosa. ...in a language we stand a chance understanding Smiley I realise language barrier is our shortcoming, and we will try to learn, but still, it is nice to understand both question and answer..

Great initiative starting this most helpful source of information!

Now to a question, what is the weather like in january?  Roll Eyes

//Ulrika

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Re: Newcomer :)
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 7:56am
Print Post  
Quote:
Now to a question, what is the weather like in january?  Roll Eyes

Probably like Sweden in summer. We almost had a frost a few weeks ago.

It's currently 7 degrees outside (8am), clear skies, the sun is about to rise and I'm looking forward to another beautiful warm sunny day.

It can get cold though. I've known -5 degrees in January/February but it isn't a regular occurance.

You can check out historical weather data from the last year at http://www.obsebre.es/php/meteosol/dadesmeteo.php

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Hello Ulrika,
Now coming up to 14.00 hours, and showing the temperature outside at 23.5.
No complaints here!

IP Logged

John
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Off subject, I know. But apart from estate agents, there are other sources of property. You might find this useful....

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/SpainMoneySaving/3316/bank-repossessions-in-spai...

john

IP Logged

ulrika
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
7 celsius at 8 in the morning, 23 at 14.00, we can live with that!   Cheesy  "Almost frost" is ok too. Very much ok! We were in Barcelona midaugust, hot and nice. We were in Tortosa in september, warm and nice. Now it seemsTortosa in january is ok, and nice!  Smiley

Thanks for the link John, we´ll have a look. We´re hoping to find one or two objects to brood over and possibly buy. We´ve been thinking about a house in Spain for forever and  now is the right time for us.

..and the weather! Yes Nigel, probably like a normal swedish summer.  In the winter!

IP Logged

Ivan
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Hi Ulrika
Try Maxine at Perello Properties - link on this Forum. She was really helpful when we bought our place this year. Lots of property around.
Tak!
Ivan

IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
welcome to the forum ulrika  Cool

IP Logged

skibob
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Welcome UlriKa.
My son lives in Stockholm and we were toying with the idea of Spain or Sweden. The sun won.
Weather pattens are much the same here long periods of stable weather. But don't be fooled by the temp, these are not the norm.
As for Estate Agents, try " My Spanish Home " they are in the middle of Tortosa. Smiley

IP Logged

munkonminor

Reply #8 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Always worth checking different Estate Agents, when we bought our property was listed with at least three agents, all at different prices.

Rieres in Tortosa was the cheapest, Perello Properties the dearest

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #9 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Please don't forget to use an independent solicitor when purchasing a property aswell.
Not necessarily one that is local, recommended, or related to the estate agent!

IP Logged

ulrika
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
@Skibob I think you made the right choice to move to Spain, although I can appreciate Stockholm (we live 60 km outside Sthlm) I still can not prefer winter here. And these days flying Sthlm - Barcelona is easy and cheap. That is partly why we are looking at Spain for a house, it seems to be the best alternative. However, I realise - after reading here - not everybody is happy with their choice? Buying a property in Spain has turned into a right nightmare for some? Problems with "Cedulas", fines, spanish bureaucracy  and so on? Is that just bad luck or is it norm?

We´ve got our NIE number - easy peasy through the spanish embassy in Stockholm - we have opened a bankaccount and "test-transferred" money so we can check all is working out well with that, and we´ll be meeting 4 or 5 estate agents during the week, also have contact with a swedish speaking soliciter in Valencia - but apparantely different areas have different rules? Does that mean we should try to find a "local soliciter" rather then one working in Valencia?

IP Logged

hhmunro
YaBB Newbies

Forum newbie

Reply #11 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Hi Ulrika
what kind of property are you looking for? there are,I am sure, forum members with property for sale,who would contact you directly,saving estate agents fees.Still of course use a solicitor, madness not to,though may still do...

IP Logged

skibob
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Hi Ulrica, Home your enjoying your time in Spain. I would suggest a local solicitor, Stephanie at My Spanish Home, tele 977446655 will give you good advice and the name of a solicitor. hhmunro is right , there are members of the forum with property for sale. We have one near us in the hills at the back of Tortosa, they live in the UK but need to sell their 2 bed bungalow in Mig-Cami. Give me a ring if you like, 977092265. We can arrange for a visit. It's for sale through the agent.
The weather is getting colder, expect -1 deg next week, just like home.  Wink

IP Logged

ulrika
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Yes, we are enjoying Tortosa. And no, weather nothing like hom. Even if the temperature goes negative, it will still be warmer then home. -8 today I belive, and -8 is a positive number if it is winter in Sweden we are talking about. Tongue

We might just get in contact with you. We have already met with and been in contact with other estate agents but one can always have a look I suppose Smiley Cause we are still looking. One never knows where the right house with the right price will pop up, or how or through who or what.

All you other people who have "PM´d" me, we might get in contact with you too.

Now we will go out to try and find ourselves a good meal. ...and perhaps some wine Smiley 

If somebody can suggest a nice restaurants in Tortosa, please do so, so far it´s been a matter of "so-so". Some ok, some "not-ok", and one or two really nice.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top