Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Computer Problem (Read 3398 times)
cazntony
Ex Member

Computer Problem
Jan 31st, 2013 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Hello
I tried to update my laptop to windows 8.  The process took a long time but it is now installed.
Problem is the dongle i have (vodafone) Will no longer work.
I need to have a net framework 3.5 installed but cannot download without an internet connection.
I have tried the local bars wifi to connect to the net but it takes too long and times out.  I am assuming slow speeds.
I am in Mora la Nova.  Is there a high speed wifi that i can use? 
Thanks for any advice in advance.

Caz

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Re: Computer Problem
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
There is an internet shop with good WiFi in Mora D'ebre. When you cross the McDonalds bridge turn sharp right down to the river front. Park beside the playground. Its one of the shops facing the river. There is also another Inet shop in MD'e. Instead of turning right after crossing the bridge continue on up the main street, take a right turn near the top of the main street the place is in a side street Smiley

IP Logged

cazntony
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Thanks Smidge.
I will give that a try.
Caz

IP Logged

cherryfarms
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Hi. I am in Mora D'ebre and work from a Vodafone dongle. We have windows 8. The problem we find with Vodafone is, No matter how much or little we use it a month, We can only get dial up speed for the last 7 days of the monthly contract. ( speed always come back to normal after midnight on new month ) Perhaps your download of windows 8 used all your allocated speed allowance, and the speed will improve when you start the next months rental period.
There is a internet Café on the top end of Mora high street almost  opp the high school called Café somnis. not always reliable for opening times or reception, but when it works is ok. good luck.

IP Logged

cazntony
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Hi
Thanks for the info. 
The problem is i cant load the programme to install the dongle because it says to download a net framework 3.5.
This can only be done online so i need to connect another way.
Thanks

Caz

IP Logged

hoop1138
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 12:27am
Print Post  
Ideally if you know someone with a landline/ADSL connection, you can jack into their router or connect to their Wi-Fi connection and download .Net from there.

If you don’t know someone with a landline connection and need help with this, PM me.

For the others with Windows 8 and using a dongle, those Metro “apps” you can’t close or get rid of are probably using a lot of your bandwidth in the background.

I have used every Microsoft OS since DOS and I wouldn’t touch Windows 8 with a 10ft poll. I used it for a week and it IS THAT bad.

See this video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTYet-qf1jo&feature=youtu.be

IP Logged

PlanesPete

In the Pink....

Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Following on from the last post, I've recently upgraded a machine from 7 to 8. It took long enough on a fast connection and then went around three huge sets of updates, then .net until it finally settled. I then found out how unusable it is, especially on a touchscreen (what it was supposed to be designed for). Loaded powershell to get the start button back and load straight to desktop. Can't understand the metro interface, all the apps seems really dire, can't find a decent photo viewer, only really works with a Microsoft Live account and a fast internet connection. Yuk. Then wondered where all my disk space had gone. Win 8 holds a huge repository of all the updates it has done (Called SxS) with gigabytes of stuff you can't get rid if.
If anyone has Microsoft shares then sell quick. Like most others, I'm off to Android.

IP Logged

cazntony
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 8:18am
Print Post  
Thanks for your help.  I have sorted the issue by connecting to a cable in a computer repair shop but have to say i wish i hadn't bothered.  I do not like it at all.  Saying that i am only a basic user and didn't like the change from xp to vista till i got used to it.  We will see in a few months time.

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Caz

IP Logged

Fuerte2012
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
I have just purchased a new PC with Windows 8 installed in Spanish, one good thing is you can change the Windows language to English or many other languages. I tend to ignore most of the new apps on start up page and just use my home page which is virtually the same as Windows 7

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top