Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Olive fly (Read 5592 times)
jt42
Ex Member

Olive fly
May 18th, 2013 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Hi all, I wonder if anyone can tell me what all the clear orange squash bottles are for hanging from various olive trees, they seem to have a small amount of clear liquid in the bottom of them. should i be putting them in my trees.
Thank you.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Re: Olive fly
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2013 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
They are to indicate to the shepherds that the land has been sprayed with herbicide so is not suitable for the sheep and goats to graze.

IP Logged

fatphil
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2013 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Obviously does not have the same meaning in my area,as the local shepherd has just grazed his large flock on my land,including climbing up my olive trees to eat the new shoots !

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2013 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Fly traps.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2013 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Yes, they could be fly traps.  They tend to be used more in citrus groves than olives.  I can try to find details if needed.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

jt42
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 20th, 2013 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Hi Bigyin any info on the fly traps would be useful, as i understand if people have used herbicides on the land this normally denoted by using the empty 5 ltr container and mounting it in a prominent place,

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2013 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Just copied and pasted this from the web to save typing.
"Traps baited with food lures can be used to reduce adult fly densities by mass trapping. One such trap was developed in Spain and is called an OLIPE trap (See References for additional information.). It is a homemade trap used in Spain to suppress olive fruit fly populations in organic olive groves and in sensitive areas near homes and natural parks. The OLIPE trap is made from a 1- to 2-liter plastic bottle with.20-inch (5 mm) holes melted into the shoulder. Current research in California suggests that Torula yeast tablets dissolved in water are very effective as bait. Traps are hung in the shade, and flies are attracted to the trap, crawling inside and dying.

McPhail-type traps also can be used for mass trapping olive fruit flies. If used for this purpose, traps should be checked weekly during the summer to ensure that the water-based lure has not evaporated. The lure should be changed regularly to maintain maximum attraction. Several companies currently sell McPhail-type traps. Contact your local cooperative extension office for a source, or try a vendor such as Great Lakes IPM (www.greatlakesipm.com) or ISCA Technologies Inc. (www.iscatech.com). These and other mass trapping devices have been shown to reduce olive fly damage by 30% to as much as 100%. Mass trapping effectiveness also is quite variable and may not provide adequate control when used as the only control approach.nd pasted this from the net to save me typing it out."

Yup, it's American.  The OLIPE trap would seem to be a cheap way of reducing the numbers.  I think there's some powder available from Sol D'Ebre that can be dissolved in water to put in the traps.  I'll check it out and let you know.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #7 - May 20th, 2013 at 2:55pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint