Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Wastepipe (Read 2686 times)
Bulldog

Forum newbie

Wastepipe
May 19th, 2013 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Hi,
My wastepipe from the kitchen sink which goes underground to the outside drain is blocking up, I have tried putting ammonia down but it has not solved the problem suggestions where I can buy  drain cleaner and what would they call it in Spanish.
Thanks. Bulldog.

IP Logged

bruixot
Ex Member

Re: Wastepipe
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2013 at 12:44am
Print Post  
If its going to a soakaway chemicals mess up the ecosystem and enable it to turn to blackwater if its standing. Personally recommend getting a set of drain rods from ebay. They come with a screw fitting and usually a puller flap(Ok I don't know the technical word for it but that's what it does!).
They also double as chimney rods. Pretty cheap too.
Out of interest is this the same place your bathroom/washing machine greywaste goes and does the launderer use any of the marsalla washing powders?
I have some info that might help avoid this in the future but its 36mb so I can't attach it in email. Any suggestions?
Bruixot

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2013 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Try using caustic soda (sosa caustica) but be VERYcareful how you use it. Mix it with warm water (water first, then add the caustic soda!), pour it down the drain, wait a couple of minutes then pour in a kettle of very hot water. Whatever you do DON'T LOOK DOWN THE PLUGHOLE as I have known it come shooting back out !

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2013 at 9:51am
Print Post  
I use caustic soda, it works well for clearing certain blocks like fat or tea leaves. Like Nigel says you have to be very carefull I add the soda to hot water and then boil, it is at its maximum power when boiling and there is usually cold water in the pipe that cools it down. You have to leave it for a couple of hours then use a plunger, you might need to apply it a few times.

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2013 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Firstly what do you think is blocking it ? we get drains blocked at work daily(hourly) and the biggest culprit is wipes !!! these things cause mega trouble, as they don't breakdown. For the drain to work well it needs to be the correct diameter 4" and have the correct fall"  I cannot remember the grade off hand, but this is fairly critical, as too level and the solids just stay put, too much and the liquid flows over the solids I have a great  PDF on making your own septic system out of 2x 55 gallons plastic drums which explains everything really well but of cause I cannot find it at the moment.
Tree roots are another real problem in drains they catch everything ! are there any bends in the drain that could be causing a problem ?  without a doubt drain rods are the best way of clearing a blockage, but even these can fail to move some blockages, and the only other method is jetting.
Hope you sort it out,as there aint much worse than blocked drains especially in warm weather LOL!!!!!!

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #5 - May 20th, 2013 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Hi all,
Many thanks, I am going to try the caustic soda first as I know him indoors, my Eco warrior is to blame for the blockage and if the above does not work, his congealed blood will only add to the blockage there already. Unless dismantling the kitchen or digging we would not be able to use the rods and he refused to buy them due to my suggestion of where to put them.
Yours, Bulldogs long suffering other half.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top