Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 HOW QUICK HAS A YEAR GONE ? (Read 7020 times)
patontheback
Ex Member

HOW QUICK HAS A YEAR GONE ?
Jul 12th, 2013 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Its now been a year to the day i was over filming A PLACE IN THE SUN. I never could have imagined that it would change my life in the way that it has and thus far all good. Apart from the black flies that bite little holes out of us (i think they hurt more than a mossie) any good tips to keep the little blighters off our legs and arms 

IP Logged

munkonminor

Re: HOW QUICK HAS A YEAR GONE ?
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2013 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Nice to hear someone happy for a change......

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2013 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Pleased you are enjoying life here.
Nice that there are some newcomers in this area. Cry
So many people that we know, and hear about, are all wanting to sell up and move.
Lips Sealed Cry

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2013 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Natural Honey Body Lotion - available in supermarkets and Farmacias. Cover yourself in it and they will keep well away.

IP Logged

skibob
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2013 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Glad you like it out here . We have been here 18 months and we are still finding our way about. Always seek advice from other expats, but be prepared to filter their information.
Moving to a new country is not a bed of roses, to be happy you have to work at it. nothing comes for free. Smiley

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Quote:
Glad you like it out here . We have been here 18 months and we are still finding our way about. Always seek advice from other expats, but be prepared to filter their information.
Moving to a new country is not a bed of roses, to be happy you have to work at it. nothing comes for free. Smiley

8 years since I bought my little bit of paradise. And yes it's not easy adapting to the laid back way of life out here, there are a lot of cultural changes to be made. But I managed Smiley
I am fortunate that my Catalan neighbours are really nice and helpful.
My biggest problem is that I don't know where to go for a holiday, because I don't want to leave here at all.
The thought of returning to the yUK is totally abhorrent
Soon I shall be virtually self sufficient, growing all my own vegetables organically now and raising my own meat.
Next step is a miniature cow , because I love milk and a decent joint of beef is more than welcome.
Things I miss from from England are listed below

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Quote:

So pleased to hear that you recognise that.  So many expats out here seem to think that they will be taking up a life exactly the same as the one they left back in the UK giving no allowance for cultural differences, many of which can be frustrating, to say the least.  Thankfully most of those, the moaners, have now returned to the UK as they have been unable to cope with the changes.  Always remember the old adage 'When in Rome, do as the Romans do'.
The thing that I do find really annoying though is the almost complete indifference to European legislation whereas in the UK it is followed strictly to the letter which is also really annoying.  Why can neither country inch slightly towards the middle ground ?

IP Logged

jools
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
This new thread is so refreshing from the normal doom and gloom which so often covers these pages.
We have been here over 9 years and I don't know where that time has gone either.

OK, it's not always plain sailing, but you get over the hurdles as best you can and learn from your mishaps/mistakes etc (hopefully) my 15 year old Son is now more Catalan/Spanish than he is English.

Can honestly say that I don't miss anything English, and if I do, can usually buy it online.

What advise would I give to new comers????????

Have a positive outlook, and try to see the good, even in bad things, as it is quite often a necessary learning curve.

If there is a large ex-pat community where you decide to put down roots, be very selective as to who your 'friends' are, we learnt the hard way on more than one occasion, and most of all, at least get a basic understanding of the language, and you will not go far wrong.

I actually work more here that I did in the UK and I came here for a more comfortable, laid back life style, but it just never happened, but, hand on my heart, I would never change it for the world, and the thought of going back to live in the UK is like a nightmare to me, it's just a no brainer for us.

Jools

IP Logged

bruixot
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
I've been here over eight years and love it. The place the people and the lifestyle. I'd only return to the UK at gunpoint.
And Jools tsk tsk on that incorrect usage of a word. I'm very disappointed. ; )
Bruixot

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #9 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
As I sit here in my shack on the hill, gazing over the surrounding countryside ( even though it is brown ) and lazily fliking my finger to make contact with the forum, I realise when you get to my age many years seem to fly past quickly. As for the above comments if it helps Cleethorpes is a nice holiday location and I'm not sure what happens in Rome but when in Tortosa I do as the Tosa's do. I do try to fit in and understand the local culture but the following incident horrified her indoors and made me think that a wet weekend in Rhyl is not too bad and also left our Catalan neighbour totally confused. Our relaxed lifestyle started one morning with a relaxed stroll around my little empire and ended with me doing a mad dash back to the house with my neighbour's very large and very mean guard dog who had escaped from his pen and had decided to protect the entire mountain in hot pursuit after me. I rang my neighbour at his other house who came up at once and confind the escaped beast and the balance of life was again regained. Later that day my neighbour returned to my property looking like an underfed Rambo, wearing oversized combat gear, carrying a shotgun and two very suprised looking dead thrushes in his other hand. As we both only speak our own language, I thought he was telling me his dog had killed the birds, this my other half agreed with but she couldn't understand why he wanted us to bury them. As instructed by her indoors I dug a hole while the neighbour looked on somewhat mistified. I took the proffered birds trying not to look too miffed ( as I felt I had now added undertaker to my C.V ) and placed them in the hole and started to refill it. At this point he jumped towards the hole and my first thought was should we have said a prayer before filling the grave. It finally transpired after much arm waving and I thought a very good game of charades, that they were a gift to eat in return for phoning him about his dog but as the wife has strong views on hunting insisted the funeral continued he left looking somewhat dazed but as I said to the wife no harm done he thinks its an English custom. He has never returned with anymore dead creatures and we still communicate through charades. Arn't different cultures and customs wonderful, hence the number of wars in the world.
Yours an uncultured and none customed Bulldog.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #10 - Jul 15th, 2013 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
You used to be able to buy small bottles of oil for protection against black fly (mosca negre, it has it on the label) in Sol D'Ebre before the shop moved to the big shed at the back.  Seems to work reasonably well.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

skibob
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jul 15th, 2013 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Do l hear a " Weekly Report " from our correspondent in his Shack on the Hill? Wink
Can't wait for next instalment.

New Flash: Dog bitten by Mosca Negre bites Man. Smiley

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #12 - Jul 16th, 2013 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Perhaps we should have a weekly comedy section,
and elect Bulldog to be editor in charge of it!
Keep us laughing!

IP Logged

Robo2
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jul 16th, 2013 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Is A PLACE IN THE SUN. available on youtube ?
would love to see it
rgards
r

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jul 16th, 2013 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
A friend sent me the link to this episode of 'A Place in the Sun' on YouTube.  Unfortunately, because it is a British tv production all I got was a message stating that I was unable to view it because I was not in Britain or something to that effect.  Sorry.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top