Ex Member

Re: hunting
Reply #30 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 10:22am
Print Post  
cactus jack wrote on Jul 27th, 2013 at 10:51pm:
Quote:
El_Alto wrote on Jul 27th, 2013 at 5:58pm:
Bigyin wrote on Jul 27th, 2013 at 10:46am:
Why would they release rabbits when there are millions of the little blighters around already ?

Funny to hear there are so many rabbits in your area. At our place (el pinell de brai) there is hardly a rabbit left. When we came here in 2006 we did see rabbits a few times every week, but now we see more mountaingoats then rabbits. Don't know what happend but it is not because of the hunting, there are not that much hunters overhere.

Mark

Maybe the goats have eaten the vegetation the rabbits would normally feed on. Goats destroy the land.

My goats don't destroy my land ???

Not talking about 2 or 3 pets, in a pen, I'm talking about wild goats or goats put out to pasture in the garrigue. Anywhere goats have been local flora and fauna suffers.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #31 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Spain, the land of the rabbit according to the Romans.  I don't feel guilty about depriving the lynx of their breakfast as I've never come across one round here.  I've seen myxomatosis most years and I agree that it's not a pretty sight.  It's usually evident in August.  However, it certainly doesn't "decimate" the population as they are back the following year and on average, in increasing numbers.  In several of the past few years they have been declared as a plague.
Hivi,  what is your response to the damage done to trees and other crops ?

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

patang
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
If there are so many rabbits around here,l I am finding it hard to comprehend why 2 Spanish men would bring up a cage full of rabbits and release them on my land.

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #33 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Perhaps they have been eating veggies or crops, or they think you may like rabbit stew?

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
When were they released ?  Hunters have been known to take cages full of  birds up the Barranc de  Caramella. leave them overnight and then release at dawn.  The birds are so keen to escape that they make easy targets for the gun happy hunters (?).

IP Logged

hivi
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
rabbits eating the bark of trees.Maybe it is an idea to wrap something around the bottom part of the tree.Of course I realize that people who have 4 ha or 10 ha have a lot of fencing to do.but then you knew that when you bought it.My suggestion is protect your trees and fence in whatever you can afford.Another thing are you sure these people put the rabbits on your land? because I know that there are fenced in areas where the hunters put out rabbits to train their young huntingdogs,if you happen to live in an area like that you would have a lot more rabbits than normal. check with your local huntingclub.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #36 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Yes, that what I and the local farmers have to do which is expensive and time consuming.  Thank you for your words of wisdom regarding what I knew when I bought the place.  In fact, whilst viewing the property I did not see a single rabbit and was not at that time friendly with the neighbors and so had know way of knowing.  I did not say that people put rabbits on my land.  That was someone else.  I don't know where you live but it can't be in low lying campo otherwise you would have the same problem.  Anyway, at the end of the day, I have rabbits which are a nuisance and you don't so happy trails for you.
Anything else you feel I ought to know ?

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #37 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
The original poster of this thread still has not had their question answered.

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Quote:
rabbits eating the bark of trees.Maybe it is an idea to wrap something around the bottom part of the tree.Of course I realize that people who have 4 ha or 10 ha have a lot of fencing to do.but then you knew that when you bought it.My suggestion is protect your trees and fence in whatever you can afford.Another thing are you sure these people put the rabbits on your land? because I know that there are fenced in areas where the hunters put out rabbits to train their young huntingdogs,if you happen to live in an area like that you would have a lot more rabbits than normal. check with your local huntingclub.

Why would anyone in their right mind spend tens of thousands of Euros fencing in their land and wrapping a protective something or other around a thousand trees to keep rabbits out when  a couple of hunting dogs will take care of most of them?  And you get free, highly sustainable, nutritious protein too.  Win/win.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #39 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
I quite agree to an extent.  Four hectares would require approx 800m of fencing (plus gates).  Based on what it cost me to fence off my veg patch (60m only 1m high) plus gates, footings and labour, it's a non starter.
I only planted 92 olive trees and protecting them is very cheap but again, more work.  I've also protected my fruit trees.
Most of the olive and orange fields which are farmed commercially are not fenced but newly planted trees are protected.  Mature olives aren't a problem but the critters still ring bark mature citrus.
I don't want to keep dogs as I feel that they are vulnerable to all sorts of hazards out here especially if allowed to roam free as they would have to be to be effective.  The commercial fields are in the main away from the farmers dwelling and so dogs would not be a solution in that case either.
Does anyone have any strong feelings about shooting rats ?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Reply #40 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
I think ritaRATbag might......

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #41 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Ha! Ha!

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #42 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Bigyin wrote on Jul 28th, 2013 at 2:53pm:
I quite agree to an extent.  Four hectares would require approx 800m of fencing (plus gates).  Based on what it cost me to fence off my veg patch (60m only 1m high) plus gates, footings and labour, it's a non starter.
I only planted 92 olive trees and protecting them is very cheap but again, more work.  I've also protected my fruit trees.
Most of the olive and orange fields which are farmed commercially are not fenced but newly planted trees are protected.  Mature olives aren't a problem but the critters still ring bark mature citrus.
I don't want to keep dogs as I feel that they are vulnerable to all sorts of hazards out here especially if allowed to roam free as they would have to be to be effective.  The commercial fields are in the main away from the farmers dwelling and so dogs would not be a solution in that case either.
Does anyone have any strong feelings about shooting rats ?  Roll Eyes

I don't wish to take you to task again Bigyin but making wild murderess threats to one of the greatest TV stars ever to be exported from the U.K. Roland Rat whose signed tea mug takes pride of place on my mantelpiece I would request you remove this threat as after reading your post Roland had to take two valium to calm his artistic nerves and is now under therapy.
Yours a concerned rodent following Bulldog.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #43 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Tut tut Bulldog  I take exception to your suggestion that I could be as callous as to attack a mug, especially one sitting on a mantelpiece.
You can tell it to calm down and and chill.  "murderess" ?

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #44 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Dear Nige and Rita.  I would like to move that Bulldog be appointed the official forum nutter (I know I shouldn't encourage him).  Shocked

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top