Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  Send TopicPrint
 25 Could only happen in the UK (Read 43797 times)
philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Could only happen in the UK
Reply #60 - Aug 9th, 2013 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Ahhhhhh -trailer reversing!!! well it all depends on the size of the trailer ,dosnt it  Grin

IP Logged

skibob
Ex Member

Reply #61 - Aug 9th, 2013 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Don't know. I was never in the Army. Wink

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #62 - Aug 9th, 2013 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
The only thing I am fed up with is people on this forum telling me how or how I should not think with regard to immigration and its associated problems whether in the UK or here.

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #63 - Aug 10th, 2013 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Quote:
The only thing I am fed up with is people on this forum telling me how or how I should not think with regard to immigration and its associated problems whether in the UK or here.

No one's telling anybody how to think, just voicing their opinions on a particular point.

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Reply #64 - Aug 10th, 2013 at 11:42am
Print Post  
Quote:

Come on then Tony, what are your views on this subject then?   Wink

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #65 - Aug 10th, 2013 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Quote:

No one's telling anybody how to think, just voicing their opinions on a particular point.

I must admit I was surprised at Tony's remark.. I haven't seen anyone telling others what to think.  Telling people you don't agree with them or even that you don't like what they are saying is just discussion isn't it?

IP Logged

bruixot
Ex Member

Reply #66 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
I have no intention of restarting this discussion but...

"Your society's broken, so who should we blame? Should we blame the rich, powerful people who caused it? No, let's blame the people with no power and no money and these immigrants who don't even have the vote – yeah, it must be their crappity smacking fault."
Iain Banks

Sounds right to me. Everything else is a smokescreen to cover this.
Bruixot

IP Logged

coldalba
Ex Member

Reply #67 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
OK. I'll come out of my cave and say thanks to
# Bruixot for his last post, so true.
# Pondgirl for consistently confronting the prejudice (those that use the Daily Mail as a source of information!), and finally to
# JaBB for having some experience to add to all the opinion.
There is hope.
Ed

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #68 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Ed, are you showing  "prejudice " against those who use the Daily Mail a source of information ? Think about it.  Smiley

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #69 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Quote:
Ed, are you showing  "prejudice " against those who use the Daily Mail a source of information ? Think about it.  Smiley

Well the dictionary describes 'prejudice' as:
an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.

If you rely on the DM for your opinion you are not using knowledge, thought or reason.  So, no, he's not  Smiley.

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #70 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Pondgirl, I disagree with your reply to my question to Ed.
Firstly you have misquoted Ed, He did not say use the DM "for your opinion" he wrote  "(those that use the Daily Mail as a source of information!)". Using for "opinion" is totally different than using for "information."

Information being facts formed so as to provide meaning. Prejudice I agree as per your post.

Many people use the DM. to seek information. Nobody can assume that "those" who seek information in the DM. agree with the information or use it to form prejudiced opinion.
Some read it to disagree,
Some to understand.
Some to (know thy enemy).
Some to comment on.
Some to debate it.
Some for legal purposes.
Some for social purposes.
Some information in the DM, is 100% correct.
To label "people" whose motives or reasons are not known in a pejorative way ie. "prejudice" as in the post is to have an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason of these people. I.E. prejudiced opinion of these people.
This is an good example of the insidious nature of prejudice.
The objective of this form is, consciously or unconsciously,  to take away peoples freedom to seek information and devalue them by labeling them in a pejorative manner.   Smiley

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #71 - Aug 13th, 2013 at 8:04am
Print Post  
Smidge I did say "If you rely on the DM for your information".  I meant relying on a single source.  And people use the information to form their opinions do they not?  If you rely on a single source (whatever it is) it will skew your opinions, is what I am saying.  Oh and the Daily Mail is an odious rag that objectifies women on a daily basis and continually publishes articles that are designed to anger people, something that shows quite clearly in their comments sections.  It gets them 'click throughs' and they mean money.

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Reply #72 - Aug 13th, 2013 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Seconds away round 5   Grin   (I´ve been secretly informed that Nobby may take a dive in round 6!  Wink )

IP Logged

Hen_Fox
Ex Member

Reply #73 - Aug 13th, 2013 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
The Daily Mail is not a source of enlightenment, it just reinforces existing prejudices in its readers.

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #74 - Aug 13th, 2013 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Pondgirl I will have to take your word that the Daily Mail is "an odious rag that objectifies women on a daily basis and continually publishes articles that are designed to anger people "  as those are serious opinions and I would not approach reading the DM with a serious attitude nor would I read it on a "daily basis"  However it strikes me you appear to have such an emphatic and comprehensive understanding about the nature of the DM. it is reasonable to assume that you get information from /read the DM . How would you be so well informed otherwise? . According to EDs post "the prejudice (those that use the Daily Mail as a source of information!)", this would define you as "prejudice"  Would you agree of disagree with him ?  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top