Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Sea Fishing - advice for a beginner (Read 8625 times)
coldalba
Ex Member

Sea Fishing - advice for a beginner
Aug 11th, 2013 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Help please.
We have a small sailing boat and use it in the L'Ampolla area.
Is there a good source of information on what (edible) types of fish there are and how we could catch them?
We may go on one of the "sea fishing trips" to learn, but are hoping that we can pick up some advice from those with experience.
Thanks

IP Logged

hivi
Ex Member

Re: Sea Fishing - advice for a beginner
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
maybe if you talk to the fishermen when they come in in the morning they might give you some advice,mind you you have to be with someboby who speaks catalan/castellano.

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Photograph the fish counter at Mercadona. Or just eat anything over 3 mm Wink

IP Logged

ColinB
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
You'll catch more edible fish in the marina than outside it.  Use a tiny barbless hook on very fine line and use bread paste - I mean a very fresh white loaf; pinch the bread out of the crust and cast it upon the waters near the piers and boats.   The fish are very hook shy so if you don't have a hit then it's probably your presentation that's at fault.  Keep the ducks and gulls out of it.  Let the paste sink and keep right out of sight.  The big fish will suddenly come out of the deeper water and hit the bait so be very alert.  Keep your landing net handy as some of these are quite decent fish.  Put back the mullet as they're (well) OK but not the finest, excellent for fish cakes but a rather course flesh, grey-ish but fine if you're hungry - what you want are the balck bream and the orange striped bream, both named accordingly.  They'll gorge the bait so have a tool ready to put those back you don't want.  I use a keep net so I can decide at the end of the bash what I want to keep and what I want to return.  Anything smaller than BIG is not worth killing as the bones spoil the cooking.  Go for a few big fish and have fun!!!!!  Where's your boat?  PM me for a a meet up?

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Count me in. Why not a fishing club  ??......just a thought

IP Logged

robo
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2013 at 9:32am
Print Post  
I am up for a fishing club

IP Logged

phoebedog

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2013 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Yes why not

IP Logged

Eddie_Torres
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2013 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
In Ampolla, on the harbour at the end of the pier, right by the no fishing sign is the place the locals spend the evening and night legering for large Dorada. At dusk, when the fishermen anchor just outside the entrance you can get large predators that hang around to eat the illegal undersized fish that they throw away [no, really] Most people seem to use worms from the vending machines, Koreanos go very well.

Otherwise, Sea Bass like light at night, to see their prey, so areas that get lit by accident can be very productive, but using your own light for this is very illegal.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top