Print Post  
GIVE IT BACK .YES OR NO. Smiley

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Re: GIBRALTAR
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Well said Nen, give it back, Who too!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yours a Blackpool rock loving Bulldog.

IP Logged

bruixot
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Throw the skivers out. They're happy to demand our diplomats and politicians and navy to defend them and sort their problems out but don't pay any taxes. It's a tax and smugglers haven. If it wasn't for the rich making a lot of money there they'd have thrown it away like Diego Garcia.
Discuss : )

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Interestingly the Spanish have forgot to mention the tiny piece of Morocco they control  whilst all this smoke screen is going on.Fortunately the 6 million plus unemployed are grateful their government is keeping it's eye on the more important issues.

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
The British giving away Diego Garcia to the Americans was nothing short of criminal and they didn't seem to mind handing back Hong Kong to the Chinese either.  Which makes me wonder why Gibraltar and the Falkland Islands are held onto for dear life.  As Bruixot said they don't pay anything like the taxes that British Islanders pay  but they want the same level of protection from the armed forces.  Oh yeah, sending HMS Illustrious to Gib, what's that all about?

Nobody is coming out of this very well are they?  The Gibraltarians shouldn't have dumped huge blocks of concrete in the Bay of Algecires without notifying either the British or the Spanish.  The Spanish aren't making any friends taking it out on ordinary people just trying to get on with their lives crossing the border, apparently the Government in Madrid has had a stiff letter from the Catalan Government  Roll Eyes and Britain....well I'm not sure what they think they are doing at all.   Embarrassed

Should Gib be handed over to the Spanish?  Probably, it makes sense.  But then Spain should be handing back Ceuta and Mellila to the Moroccans too

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Re Gibraltar and re it could only happen in the uk.

My long thought out views and this is after much soul searching and heartfelt consideration, I have reached the conclusion, is that I really couldn't give a 5h1t

Why worry about stuff you can do nothing about.

Newspapers aren't newspapers, they are propaganda publications. Believe what you like or rather what you are told to believe.

I'm happy on my mountain. More sun please with a little rain at night.

Cool Cool Cool

Ps Mr O'Leary is my hero, more power to his wings

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Well Jack Re -your last comment about Mr O leary if the man had not set up Ryan air, I poss would not have had the oppotunty to own my little plot of Spanish sunshine LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So I will give him that  Wink

IP Logged

Eddie_Torres
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Hong Kong was on a lease, it always was going to be given back.

Spain owns 5 bits of Morocco, zero sign of them ever being given back.

Why  on earth would you think we should "give Gibraltar back" ?  All this recent nonsense is just pathetic little man chest beating to distract attention from the Barcenas scandal. The PP treasurer being caught red handed with cash and offshore bank accounts, a slush fund clearly running all the way to Prime Minister Rajoy. They should all get prison for this, but will probably wriggle some scam deal out of it.

That is the real reason Gibraltar has been brought up now.

If you actually visit the place, you will understand why it will be British forever.

IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Why  on earth would you think we should "give Gibraltar back" ?  All this recent nonsense is just pathetic little man chest beating to distract attention from the Barcenas scandal. The PP treasurer being caught red handed with cash and offshore bank accounts, a slush fund clearly running all the way to Prime Minister Rajoy. They should all get prison for this, but will probably wriggle some scam deal out of it.

That is the real reason Gibraltar has been brought up now.

If you actually visit the place, you will understand why it will be British forever.

been to Gibraltar 4 times and yes its a nice place i know what i think but others may think differant  Smiley

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Phil, "Mr O leary if the man had not set up Ryan air,)" sorry to say that MOL did not set up RA. It was set up in around 1984/85 by Tony & Chris Ryan. At this time MickO had little newsagents shop near my then house, I often bought the papers there (The Independent, hope that does not get me in trouble with the media police on this forum  Smiley). He was selling papers & tins of Coke for a few years, he did not join RA until 87/88, he did not get into the senior position in RA for years after that. Sometime its difficult to separate the man from the myths. MOL is a master of spinning any story.
However I agree many people would not have seen the sun
without Ryanair but Tony Ryan is the man that started it.

Smidge.  Smiley

IP Logged

skibob
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Aug 15th, 2013 at 12:02am
Print Post  
Last time l looked Diego Garcia was part of the British Indian Ocean Territories. We only leased it to the  US.  Sad

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Reply #11 - Aug 15th, 2013 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Who the hell cares who started it. Mr O leary has done a magnificent job in promoting it through really hard times into the no 1 European airline.
I shall use him twice more to save my eyesight then I don't give a monkeys. It's only funerals and weddings will get me back to the yUK and I'm not sure some of them will succeed.

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Aug 15th, 2013 at 7:13am
Print Post  
Quote:
Last time l looked Diego Garcia was part of the British Indian Ocean Territories. We only leased it to the  US.  Sad

Well 'gave' in the sense that the Americans got DG free of any rent for 50 years with an option for an extra 20 years (to 2036).  The Chagossians had been living there since the early 18th century and were all evicted to make way for the US Naval base.  Can you imagine the absolute outrage there would be if the Gibraltarians or Falkland Islanders were treated in the same way?

Quote:

Why  on earth would you think we should "give Gibraltar back" ?  All this recent nonsense is just pathetic little man chest beating to distract attention from the Barcenas scandal. The PP treasurer being caught red handed with cash and offshore bank accounts, a slush fund clearly running all the way to Prime Minister Rajoy. .

Yep, I understand all that which is why I said no one is coming out of this at all well.  Why are the British sending a warship to Gib?  Are they going to fire on Cadiz?  Of course they aren't it's more posturing. 

Hong Kong island wasn't on lease it was formally ceded in perpetuity to the United Kingdom under the Treaty of Nanking in 1842.  It was the New Territories that were leased.  Hong Kong residents weren't given any say in their future, unlike the Gibraltarians, and they weren't allowed British passports.

IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Aug 15th, 2013 at 9:31am
Print Post  
all i wanted was a YES or NO  Smiley

IP Logged

Hen_Fox
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Aug 15th, 2013 at 9:34am
Print Post  
When Hong Kong was handed back it seemed to be only  people in the wealthy areas who got a full British passport, with others getting a British 'overseas' passport and no rights to British residency.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top