Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Spain Considers Trial Release of GM Olive Fly (Read 3143 times)
JamJarChris

Power to the peaceful

Spain Considers Trial Release of GM Olive Fly
Aug 28th, 2013 at 8:51am
Print Post  
http://oliveindustrynetwork.com.au/Directory/spain-considers-trial-release-of-ge...

Oh great - as the article mentions

“If the genetically engineered flies escape, the harvest in the regions concerned would become non-marketable. Genetically engineered larvae living inside the olives are not allowed for food consumption in the E.U.”

If the region did not have enough problems with the imported apple snail eating the rice

quod ambit, redit
GTalk  
IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Re: Spain Considers Trial Release of GM Olive Fly
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 10:20am
Print Post  
The idea is that the next generation would be sterile therefore unable to reproduce.Much better than covering everything in chemicals. They have done something similar in parts of Brazil with the malaria carrying mosquito quite successfully.Mother nature however can come back and bite us on the arse though if not carefull.

IP Logged

JamJarChris

Power to the peaceful

Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Good idea in theory, Nobby, but... as you say Ma Nature will have her 2c

“Amongst other things, the trials imply risks for the olive farmers. If the genetically engineered flies escape, the harvest in the regions concerned would become nonmarketable. Genetically engineered larvae living inside the olives are not allowed for food consumption in the EU”, says Christoph Then for Testbiotech. “While the female descendants are supposed to die as larvae, the male individuals can survive for several months, mate and propagate further. If they escape, which according to the application of Oxitec, can not be excluded, they can move into the the environment and spread without control. Olive flies are able to fly over distances of several kilometers.”

quod ambit, redit
GTalk  
IP Logged

JamJarChris

Power to the peaceful

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Forgot to add that at least I can choose whether to use chemicals, sprays et al around my land, should this little bugger get out then i have no choice in the matter.

With Spain's olive oil crop down 50% last year, I would think they have a few other things to worry about rather than this fly.

quod ambit, redit
GTalk  
IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
"Genetically engineered larvae living inside the olives are not allowed for food consumption in the EU”

I always wondered what we should tell vegetarians about possible larvae in our olive oil.

We have hardly any olives this year, we certainly won't be producing our own oil.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top