Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Vaccinations (Read 2350 times)
PlanesPete

In the Pink....

Vaccinations
Feb 14th, 2014 at 8:10am
Print Post  
My son wants to head off to India and Thailand. Does anyone know the procedure / best way to get the necessary vaccinations? Our local health centre sent us off to the hospital who sent us off to another Cat Salut place who didn't know what we were talking about. We are confused!

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Re: Vaccinations
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2014 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Take a look at U.K.Gov.org? web site.
Lists countries and vaccinations required, for visiting them.
Some are needed several weeks, maybe 2 months, before travel.
So visit doctor or medical centre with list of vaccinations required. Probably have to order them!

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
We haven't done it here but we used the https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/ website to check on everything before our son went travelling a couple of years ago.  You might well have to buy the vaccinations up front and then pay to have them administered here.  It certainly wasn't free in the UK.

He'll almost certainly need Cholera, Diptheria, Hep A & B off the top of my head.  Lots of info here http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineForCondition.aspx?condition=Trav...

He should try talking to people who have already done this.  What about his travel company?  He will also need a comprehensive first aid kit that includes sterilised syringes, antibiotics , bandages, rehydration tablets, water purification tablets, antiseptic etc.

IP Logged

old nelson

The man in black

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Two years ago I went to Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and Malaysia and had the following vaccinations after speaking to doctor. Hepatitus A&B, Typhoid and also Tetanus /Diptheria/Polio. Last year went to Southern India and wandered and had a booster for the Hepatitus. You do not have to take Malaria treatments if you are travelling mainly fairly near the coastal regions. You do need to take insect repellants but used them only when mosquitos were about.  Both times I travelled rough not in anything which resembled high class travel. Only drink bottled water, don't go anywhere near ice cream, only have street food where the locals are eating, they know who's good!
There is a UK website that show's travellers where the risk of malaria is, but some of the travellers I have met say the side effects upset them. My recommendation is don't go to those areas and not in the monsoon season because of the increase in Mossies! If you need more info get in touch.

IP Logged

PlanesPete

In the Pink....

Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Thanks everyone for the tips.
We have booked an appointment for the jabs. we had to go to the third floor of the 'Traffico' building in Tarragona, very badly signposted but helpful staff in there. Looks like it could cost €100 or so in total.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top