Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Little ants in my pool electrics !! (Read 6072 times)
Bunter
God Member

Forum Cerebral Bore

Little ants in my pool electrics !!
May 18th, 2014 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Good Afternoon.

I am sure Nigel you have come across these ants and their resultant damage.

I have been very busy today after weeks of nagging from her inside of de doors. I have one or two pool tiles that have come off after last years major overhaul as for years I had been putting pool tablets in the skimmer baskets DO NOT DO THIS PLEASE It rots your pipes and the whole lot has to be dug up etc. Whilst draining the pool re tile repair today in my pool house I have about 60 little ants in my electrical timer box which also houses breakers for the pool etc. Does anyone know how to get rid of them ? Do the Spanish have any special stuff I did use spray but I do not want damp in the electrical box. Apparently these ants can cause a great deal of damage.

http://voices.yahoo.com/insidious-invader-ants-attracted-electronic-7323632.html
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2014 at 6:23pm by Bunter »  

IP Logged

RiumarPat
Ex Member

Re: Little ants in my pool electrics !!
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2014 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
I  get little ants all over my garden & terrace ,I use ant killing granules & they work a treat. Smiley

IP Logged

Bunter
God Member

Forum Cerebral Bore

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2014 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
These are a different breed of ant pat, These appear to favour electrics they get into your electrical system and eat your plastic wiring cable protection and then get into large groups inside your junction boxes so much so they short out your whole system.I have had them before in my little hut which houses my well electrics and they were in there. I will use cinnamon I just wondered had any forum member dealt with these creatures within their wiring systems.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8205537_rid-ants-around-electrical-wires.html

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

IP Logged

RiumarPat
Ex Member

Re: Little ants in my pool electrics!!& tablets ?
Reply #3 - May 19th, 2014 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Oh Bunter, sorry about your super electrical loving ants! I think some sort of sticky stuff around might dissuade them. Now I am concerned about what you said before about not putting pool tablets in the skimmer baskets because the people that look after our pool have always put them there & still do!  Last year our pool pipes had to be renewed!  No one said that the cause was where the tablet were placed.  So please tell me  where to put the  tablets .  Undecided?

IP Logged

Bunter
God Member

Forum Cerebral Bore

Re: Little ants in my pool electrics!!& tablets ?
Reply #4 - May 20th, 2014 at 2:20am
Print Post  
Quote:
Oh Bunter, sorry about your super electrical loving ants! I think some sort of sticky stuff around might dissuade them. Now I am concerned about what you said before about not putting pool tablets in the skimmer baskets because the people that look after our pool have always put them there & still do!  Last year our pool pipes had to be renewed!  No one said that the cause was where the tablet were placed.  So please tell me  where to put the  tablets .  Undecided?

Just buy one of those blue plastic orbs from muckie donnas or the pool shop they hold 5 tablets and just let it float around the pool There are only about 5 euros. A friend has just had their pool pipes replaced nearly 1000 euro cost.The pool company state the tablets in the skimmer cause the damage.

pool_tab_holder.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

RiumarPat
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 20th, 2014 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that information, we will go & buy this holder.  Our new pipes cost 400euros so a bargain! & they renewed them with plastic drain pipes instead of the thin concertina type used before. Cool

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2014 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Bunter wrote on May 18th, 2014 at 6:22pm:
These are a different breed of ant pat, These appear to favour electrics they get into your electrical system and eat your plastic wiring cable protection and then get into large groups inside your junction boxes so much so they short out your whole system.I have had them before in my little hut which houses my well electrics and they were in there. I will use cinnamon I just wondered had any forum member dealt with these creatures within their wiring systems.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8205537_rid-ants-around-electrical-wires.html

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Hi Bunter,
We have had problems with different types of ants and we found with having animals a safe and cheap method which works well for us is by using fairy liquid, we just wipe it on an area that they walk on and it gets on there feet and they take it back to there nest and they seem to disappear I also keep a diluted solution near the kitchen sink to wipe any area I see them getting in on. Its also a cheap way of keeping ones hands clean in the kitchen. Pity at times it does not work on him indoors!!!!!
Yours Bulldog.

IP Logged

Bunter
God Member

Forum Cerebral Bore

Reply #7 - May 21st, 2014 at 1:56am
Print Post  
Thanks Bullfrog. I bought some white ant powder. Yesterday however they had all gone on vacation , I think the spray must have got rid of them. I still did the rounds with the powder, Belt and braces what. My pool repair was also 400 hundred Pat plus a pair of skimmers and the price of the pipe.We did not use a pool shop. Wink There was a fair amount of digging and he also fitted a non return valve. Anyway this year no green water and more important no water loss.   

This work/expense can all be prevented by not putting the pool tablets in the skimmer basket (s)

pool_repair.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top