Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Wasp stings (Read 10707 times)
Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Wasp stings
Jul 29th, 2014 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
I'd be interested to hear of any adverse reactions to wasp stings you may have had (apart from the pain, i.e allergic reaction).  Did you only start to react here in Spain or were you allergic before coming here ?  What is the nature of the reaction etc. ?
I ask because I suffer severe reactions which are not typical of those described on t'internet.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

Snowhitsky
Ex Member

Re: Wasp stings
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
If your body is overeacting to stings it's unlikely to get better. In the worse cases you can go into anaphylactic shock which is not good.

Check it out with your doctor.

IP Logged

Michael

Village Idiot

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
I've had different reactions to different types of wasp.  The worst reaction was c/o one of the small bright yellow fellas.  I exacted my revenge I have to admit - but the swelling took several days to reduce even with oral and topical antihistamines.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Unfortunately my reaction does not tie in with any of the symptoms of anaphylactic shock.  I went to the local doctor a couple of years ago and he gave me a hyperdermic (not an auto inject) of adrenalin which I don't think would help.  I've another appointment with him on Monday.  I'm going to ask if desensitisation treatment is available here.
I guess that being a bee enthusiast you'll know a bit about this.  A blood test I had in UK showed that I didn't have a problem with bees but that I was hypersensitive to wasps.  I guess I'm trying to find out if the wasps here are different to those in UK as the probs only started when I came here.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Michael.  The local reaction is normal (pain and itching for about 20 mins) although on one occasion the local site was uncomfortable for several weeks.  As far as I know I've only been stung by the "normal" variety.  I've only actually seen the offender once.

IP Logged

ceilidh
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Last year i was stung above the eye by a wasp the long legged type. Face so swollen in the night that i went to Tortosa hospital and was put on anti histamine drip for 2 hours .Then yesterday stung 5 times while strimming under carob trees took anti histamine as precaution but only had slight swelling .Seems to depend on where stung and what type of wasp.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
It depends on whether you're allergic or not.

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
I think the long legged wasps are the worst here.
Their sting is like a needle going into you.
Known as solitary wasps, but there are often a few of them around. Nasty!

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
I don't know if Pondboy is allergic but he inflates like a balloon when he gets stung and it lasts for a couple of days at least. 

Last week however one of the blighters stung him just below the eye.  He yelled, waved his arms and jumped backwards.... at the same time the dog ran in to rescue him....cue PB faceplanting the deck and tearing the top of his ear away from his head, grazing his cheekbone (where he was stung) and blacking his eye Smiley  He's alright now  Smiley  And no, there's no video available.

Was that the sort of reaction you had Rita?

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
And that was my 500th post  Cool

IP Logged

robo
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
I think black fly are the worst,  last september my wife spent 3 days in hospital thanks to the little brutes, we are on first name terms with the staff at mora hospital she has been around 3 times for an injection , its about what you are allergic too more than the thing that bites or stings you

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #11 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
So doesn't she smother herself in Natural Honey body lotion? They hate the stuff and stay well clear - I've been using it for years.

IP Logged

hivi
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
since I live in spain I am allergic to wasp stings as soon as it happens I have to go to the g.p.or hospital for an injection
do not know what type of wasp but the part that is stung swells up immediately hand i.e. to 3 times normal size I think spanish wasps do not like me.

IP Logged

Bunter
God Member

Forum Cerebral Bore

Reply #13 - Aug 1st, 2014 at 2:34am
Print Post  
It could be your name  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

robo
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Aug 1st, 2014 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
She uses natural honey as well as one a day antihistamine she also likes her gardening and never stops rooting among flowers which is just about the worst thing she could do but will she listen  NO

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top