Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Trip Advisor (Read 8880 times)
LaRapita
Ex Member

Trip Advisor
Sep 19th, 2014 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Below is a comment from someone who, earlier on in the year, posted on Trip Advisor about Tortosa Forum Message Board. There are a number of replies agreeing with the sentiments of the first post. Unfortunately, I fully agree with a lot of what is said - it would be nice to get helpful and/or positive feedback from posts rather than the all too frequent slagging off and supposedly 'jokey' (but often just downright unpleasant) comments. C'mon guys lets be more helpful and constructive when posting and not let the few who do put up such posts be allowed to dominate and side-track threads.

Tortosa Forum

24 January 2014, 15:00

Has anyone had experience of using this forum? I signed up to it last year and made a couple of posts but they were completely hijacked by a few unpleasant characters and so I no longer use it. I do occasionally use it as a guest but it seems to have deteriorated even further and whoever is running it seems to have no control over what is put on there or rather chooses to have no control over it and as a result it seems to be full of bickering and negativity.

Does anyone know of any other forum that is a bit more positive in nature?

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Re: Trip Advisor
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2014 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
As a moderator on this Forum I often get flack, from people, sometimes verbal abuse aswell.
It is a Forum and members have opinions.
I am unable to spend 24 hours per day, looking at posts.
But I do delete rude pictures and remarks if I think they will offend people.
But I also get praise for my time and effort, which is rewarding, and makes me want to carry on as a moderator.
If I think that some comments may help us, and are warnings, then I feel that they should stay for all to see.
No one wants to be conned, do they?
As for jokes, maybe they put a smile on faces from time to time.

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2014 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
I think Nigel & Rita run the Forum well.Only my opinion,but we need to be careful regarding too much "censorship",back in Blighty now,freedom of speech exists only for a selective few    Cry 

Of course,as this Forum is run well,all those that disagree with the above comments,will be allowed to post as they wish.

IP Logged

furbydoggie
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 3:40am
Print Post  
I also agree that the forum is well run and a good source of local information but I can imagine being a moderator is a fairly thankless job on any forum.

However I can easily see why the poster on TripAdvisor came to the expressed conclusions. I often feel that the forum is treated as a 'private members club' by some and that opinions from 'outsiders' are not particularly welcome. The ex-pat community in the area is quits small and I imagine that the dynamics of the personal relationships is very much reflected on the forum.....this makes it difficult for the rest of us to fit in, especially since many of us don't live in the area permanently. There is a lot of negativity floating around.....but that's down to the profile of the members rather than any fault with moderators.

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
I have always found the forum helpful. Advice has saved me from making mistakes.  I have found equipment I need through it being posted there. It strings together a diverse expat community. I try out or ( not) restaurants reviewed there.
I have got good legal opinion there. Good medical advice. Good advice re my car, my residence, insurance etc. etc.  Had a few jokes, a bit of political debate, Ryanair, and been annoyed from time to time. In fact it covers very well the day to day struggles of life of the expat residents in the area.
So well done all members, Those who wish to criticize you can do that too but try to temper you negative feelings by understanding the level of good that the forum provides.
Thanks all for the time and effort you have put in I for on am grateful. Smiley

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Below is a comment from someone who, earlier on in the year, posted on Trip Advisor about Tortosa Forum Message Board. There are a number of replies agreeing with the sentiments of the first post. Unfortunately, I fully agree with a lot of what is said - it would be nice to get helpful and/or positive feedback from posts rather than the all too frequent slagging off and supposedly 'jokey' (but often just downright unpleasant) comments. C'mon guys lets be more helpful and constructive when posting and not let the few who do put up such posts be allowed to dominate and side-track threads.

Tortosa Forum

24 January 2014, 15:00

Has anyone had experience of using this forum? I signed up to it last year and made a couple of posts but they were completely hijacked by a few unpleasant characters and so I no longer use it. I do occasionally use it as a guest but it seems to have deteriorated even further and whoever is running it seems to have no control over what is put on there or rather chooses to have no control over it and as a result it seems to be full of bickering and negativity.

Does anyone know of any other forum that is a bit more positive in nature?

There is quite a lot of moaning on here tbh , but I don't think this is a negative forum.  I wonder what subject 'almendra' had hijacked rudely.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
You can please all the people some of the time,
some of the people all the time,
but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

I once listened to a local Radio Oxford programme where they were asking people to pone in with their views on the recently launched station. I was amazed at the negative comments that were being made. My thought was: You can always tune to a different station or switch your radio off but it seemed as if the audience preferred to moan and criticise.

By the way isn't moaning a British sport?

I set up the Tortosa Fórum nearly 10 years ago. It was as a result of a posting I made on Trip Advisor, I don't recall exactly what but I think it was something to do with satellite TV. It was removed by Trip Advisor as being inappropriate...
So I set up this fórum so that hopefully there could be more freedom of speech.

The membership has changed over the years and a lot of people have come and gone but as I remove any members that haven't been active for 12 months the membership is reasonably up to date with active members, much more so than many other fórums with thousands of members.

As moderators Rita and I have to balance our own personal views with those of the members; not always an easy task. I would like to think we manage reasonably well.

Nigel

IP Logged

DenGeo

Forum newbie

Reply #7 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
I for one am happy with the forum, it has helped me on various topics.
I met Rita and Paul via it and Pat and Jim in Riumar through it. I bought something from Nigel due to it and that is all the English people I have met or spoken to in the 3 years I have lived in Deltebre.
Some people think if you don't have a big house in the mountains then you are not worthy.  Out here on the delta we have high water pressure good electric connections and high speed broadband 24/7. Four supermarkets within walking distance and a miriad of cafes bars and restaurants.  Yes everyone speaks Catalan first but they also switch to Spanish to help us and even some speak good English.
People will always dig at someones posts but that says more about the digger than anything else.
So dig away, I am happy with the forum and the moderators.  I also like life out here in Deltebre,(Jesus-y-Maria). Cheesy

IP Logged

PlanesPete

In the Pink....

Reply #8 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
I, for one, am delighted with this forum and think it is a brilliant facility and resource for help and information. Thank you Nigel and Rita, you do a great job and we would all be very much poorer without your efforts.

Quite why people in the Western world complain about trivia beats me. Swap places with a Syrian refugee for a day and then see what matters. We are in the top percentile of the worlds population for wealth, health and freedom. Get over yourself!

IP Logged

skibob
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Hi Folks.
Just popped in to see whats going on. Nothing has changed l see. You will always get a difference of  opinion wherever you go.

lt's much the same down here in the Coasta Blanca only more so cos there are a lot more expats.

Contrary  to what some people think we love it down here. Lot more music and we are welcomed by the natives. l also get to play a game of Cricket.
Well done Nigel and Rita your doing a grand job. Cheesy

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Bob, it's you're. Honestly, no wonder people moan.....

Glad to hear your sale and move went OK. Drop us a line whenever.

IP Logged

cazntony
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
I read the forum everyday but do not post often. I suspect I am not the only one. The forum has been a great source for information and advice. It has also given me a few giggles and smiles. Keep up the good work Rita, Nigel and all the contributers.

IP Logged

fishman
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I think Nigel & Rita run the Forum well.Only my opinion,but we need to be careful regarding too much "censorship",back in Blighty now,freedom of speech exists only for a selective few    Cry 

Of course,as this Forum is run well,all those that disagree with the above comments,will be allowed to post as they wish.

yes the forum is a great help, but maybe  set up a chat room, for people to chat and talk and joke on ....this will channel all comments

IP Logged

Coco
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Hi .... Yes Fishman that would be good I' see where you are coming from  sometimes a chat or a joke would be better in a chat room some people like to have a  proper answer to there question ,  that i'm sure would please one and all .  Cheesy

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Fishman and Coco are you seriously suggesting having a forum where the odd joke and humor are not allowed ? Sad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top