Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 25 Catalan referendum called on 9th November (Read 16894 times)
JamJarChris

Power to the peaceful

Re: Catalan referendum called on 9th November
Reply #15 - Oct 6th, 2014 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Quite an interesting article on the possible economic consequences of an independent Catalonia (Cataluña or Catalunya)

http://wolfstreet.com/2014/10/03/catalonias-choice-chaotic-divorce-or-loveless-m...

and the following summary from an article in El Pais this morning
"A week rarely goes by these days without an investment bank publishing a report on the consequences and associated risks of an independent Catalonia. In fact, ratings agency Fitch has just warned that Catalan public debt would be reclassified with a junk rating in the case of a breakaway."

Fills you full of confidence, doesn't it.

quod ambit, redit
GTalk  
IP Logged

Oenz
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Oct 8th, 2014 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Other than the obvious financial issues, I wonder what impact a yes vote would have on non-resident property owners...

IP Logged

hivi
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
I have just phoned 012 to get information about voting on the 9th
I was told the following: Residents oc Catelonia can vote as long as they have a DNI and a passport to show their age( you have to be 16 orover) Go to your normal voting building(in ampolla theschool) they will have the voting form for you to fill out.If in doubt phone 012 they speak perfect castellano.I hope that this will make a lot of people go to give their vote

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #18 - Nov 10th, 2014 at 7:17am
Print Post  
Interesting times ahead...

The Yes/Yes campaign has won over 80% of the vote.
What now.. Elections and more voting I guess but maybe in the next vote foreigners will be excluded as will under 18's.

Did you vote? I did..

IP Logged

Janwes
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Nov 10th, 2014 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Yes - I did!!!!  The thing that got me was the atmosphere in and around the place for voting - a mixture of excitement and friendship and determination - quite something!!  For good reports in Englush on what was happening I keyed in Catalonia into Google, and came up with the BBC reports, which were both up to date and interesting to read.

IP Logged

bruixot
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Nov 10th, 2014 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
I've been very disappointed to see all the news outlets reporting this 80% figure which is meaningless without the rest of the facts. The campaign is reporting 2 million people turned out to vote out of a voter base of 5.3 million. That's less than 50% turnout.
And 80% percent of those who turned out voted yes to independence.
Now as this vote has no legal validity whatsoever I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of no voters didn't bother voting but the vast majority of the pro independencers will have, making this result even more meaningless.
Also I wouldn't bet on the generalitat making it easy for all the foreigners voting in a referendum as the majority of them will not be pro.
Bruixot

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Nov 10th, 2014 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I've been very disappointed to see all the news outlets reporting this 80% figure which is meaningless without the rest of the facts. The campaign is reporting 2 million people turned out to vote out of a voter base of 5.3 million. That's less than 50% turnout.
Now as this vote has no legal validity whatsoever I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of no voters didn't bother voting but the vast majority of the pro independencers will have, making this result even more meaningless.
Also I wouldn't bet on the generalitat making it easy for all the foreigners voting in a referendum as the majority of them will not be pro.
Bruixot

Need we say more   "What a waste of money!

IP Logged

John
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Quote:
Bruixot

Need we say more   "What a waste of money!

No foreigner (US - not the Spanish Catalans) in the right mind would vote yes without absolute guarantees that we won't be evicted if they win. If they go for independence and lose EU status they absolutely could do that if they wanted. They could of course go back to pre- EC days (as opposed to EU) and say we all need visas to travel to and through Catalonia, work permits to work, and permits to stay (issued by Catalonia (not Spain as they are at the moment)).

That's how it used to be in many (now EU)  countries pre EC days for Brits wishing to even travel to France/Spain/etc., never mind live there. There would be absolutely nothing stopping them from imposing rules such as that - but we all knew that before selling everything and moving here didn't we!

John.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #23 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
If you read the start of the topic you will see that the reply I got from the Esquerra party said that if Catalunya became independent then all the residents would gain Catalan nationality. So I think we would all be safe from the dreaded visa saga.

Who knows what will happen though.. only time will tell.

IP Logged

John
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Nigel wrote on Nov 11th, 2014 at 5:54pm:
If you read the start of the topic you will see that the reply I got from the Esquerra party said that if Catalunya became independent then all the residents would gain Catalan nationality. So I think we would all be safe from the dreaded visa saga.

Who knows what will happen though.. only time will tell.

I can find no such reference. The files in some of the links you provided have also been removed already and no cached version on google that I can find. Can you please repost the reply you mention.

Thanks Nigel,
John.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #25 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 6:40pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

John
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
An interesting point in the response you received. Can you please add the actual document as a j.pg or a file? There are some very pertinant points here (especialy regarding citizenship) on page 47 http://www.eui.eu/Projects/EUDO/Documents/2014/RSCAS201490.pdf from the European Law Acadamy.

We may have the right to vote in an independance referendum - that does not mean we will get citizenship/nationality if independance is declared. In fact, This European Law organisation advises against it

john

IP Logged

Catalanbrian
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Nov 14th, 2014 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Sadly the whole so called democratic process here is no better than it is in the UK.  A lot of feathering of own nests goes on.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top