Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Camper van conversion (Read 9089 times)
Malcolm
Ex Member

Camper van conversion
Nov 9th, 2014 at 9:03am
Print Post  
I am told that this topic has come up before but I cannot find it so apologies in advance!

Has anyone had any experience of the authorities here attitude to panel van camper conversions?

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Re: Camper van conversion
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Told a few years ago, that it is illegal  to do this here.

IP Logged

Malcolm
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Thanks for getting back and it is sort of what I had heard. It just struck me that it cannot be a black and white as this and there must be something in between. For example, there are loads of motorhomes available in Spain that have been converted from standard panel vans by small bespoke companies.
Also when does a van become not a van if you see what I mean. Hopefully the authorities here are not yet into telling you what you can put in your van.

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 11:13am
Print Post  
I understand that it is different in Spain v UK on van conversions.
I think that the van has to have permission " vivenda" before you can use it. How this designation is obtained I have no idea

IP Logged

Bunter
God Member

Forum Cerebral Bore

Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
UK.

http://www.campervanlife.com/building/legal

Spain.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/spanish-laws-on-motorhomes-english-v...

I just got this off the net it may or may not be current or of help. The Spanish one is an old post but may give you an idea of changes against the English equivilent.

Undecided

Reinvented_ex_pat_converter_guy.jpg ( 7 KB | 199 Downloads )
Reinvented_ex_pat_converter_guy.jpg

IP Logged

Malcolm
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Thanks ever so much Bunter. As always, a mine of information. The second link certainly defines what is required and then I am thinking that an engineer's report is required to show that it meets the requirement.

IP Logged

Bunter
God Member

Forum Cerebral Bore

Reply #6 - Nov 10th, 2014 at 5:09am
Print Post  
Your most welcome. Have a look at this fellows blog it is full of hints and tips.

http://www.mytravelphotoblog.com/p/touring-europe-in-campervan.html

« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2014 at 2:18pm by Bunter »  

Wife_required.jpg ( 9 KB | 206 Downloads )
Wife_required.jpg

IP Logged

Malcolm
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2014 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Thanks again Bunter, much food for thought. I know that there is a whole industry that has grown up around conversions in Europe but the thing I really need to tie down is the Spanish attitude to it. I am hopeful that if done properly and with engineers report it is possible. I think that my next step should be to talk to engineers that might do the work and get their opinion.

IP Logged

Malcolm
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 10th, 2014 at 9:58am
Print Post  
For the record and in case anyone else is interested, I have been sent this link which seems pretty definitive
:
http://www.roulot.es/consejos-bricocamper/equipamiento-de-la-furgoneta-paso-a-pa...

This describes the legalization process which seems quite sensible and achievable. Certificates are required for gas, 220 volt installations and seat belt mountings which is the same as the UK I think. The main difficulty would seem to be that the conversion should be done by a business but it is said that there are ways around this and it doesn't seem to be always asked for anyway. All of this has to be overseen by an engineer so the next step is to consult with one of these.

IP Logged

Cariad

Forum newbie

Reply #9 - Nov 10th, 2014 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Have sent pm.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top