Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
apricots (Read 6121 times)
garciaange
Ex Member

apricots
Jan 17th, 2015 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
anyone had any experience planting apricot trees around mora d'ebre area? i am high up (around 400m) and have been told apricots should be ok here, and the neighbour certainly has them, but any advice on what age trees to buy and any special attention needed, apart from the obvious plentiful water, would be welcome!

IP Logged

Michael

Village Idiot

Re: apricots
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2015 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
I planted a young apricot tree - can't remember what variety - and, after a couple of years, it produced lots of fruit every year in early Spring - as usual all at once with only one year being a virtual 'no show' - and is now a considerable size.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2015 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
I'd give it a go.  Mine grew quickly and the fruit straight off the tree is unbelievable.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

Bunter
God Member

Forum Cerebral Bore

Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2015 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Your surplus bottles up just fine Get your jars with the orange rubber seal from the " Oriental" shop very cheap and cook em up and they last for an age.

3.09 lb firm, ripe fresh apricots
4 oz superfine sugar
½ cup lemon juice
2 ½ cups water
2 vanilla Pods

Method

Immerse the apricots in a pan of gentle boiling water for 20 to 30seconds.
    Immediately remove the apricots from the water and peel off their skins using a small sharp knife, or your fingers if skins come off easily,
    Leave to cool.
    Put the sugar, lemon juice and water ina saucepan over a low heat, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil.
    Add the apricots to the syrup, in batches if necessary, and poach for 10 minutes.
    Using a slotted spoon, immediately transfer the apricots in two warm sterilised 1.1litre jars.
    Slit the vanilla pods lengthways withal knife and add two halves to each jar.
    When all the apricots have been removed from the pan, boil the syrup for 5 minutes.
    Pour into prepared jars to within 1.5cm of the top. Swirl the jars to expel any air bubbles and seal them.
    Process in a water bath.
    Store in cool, dark, dry place for one month before eating. Use within 12 to 18 months

With regards treatment of the jars before adding fruit see below.

http://www.taste.com.au/how+to/articles/572/how+to+sterilise+jars+and+bottles

Jars_for_U.jpg ( 8 KB | 237 Downloads )
Jars_for_U.jpg

IP Logged

appycab
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Apricot trees will grow pretty well anywhere I have apricot trees in France where in Jan and Feb the temperature can drop to  -13 degrees.It is the March temperature that counts when the trees are in blossom and a night frost will kill them off.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top