Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Residents driving on foreign licence. (Read 9118 times)
Smidge
Ex Member

Residents driving on foreign licence.
Jun 6th, 2015 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
There is a big stir in the Mora area as the police have been stopping UK registered cars on the roundabout leaving town. They ask for the driving licence & if its a Euro licence or UK licience they ask for your NIE number if you produce one they take this as evidence that you are a resident of Spain. They then fine you 200 Euro based on a new law that requires one to have a Spanish licence if you are a resident. There is some serious debate as to the legality on this. One way or the other people have to pay the fine (50% discount if paid early).  Angry

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Re: Residents driving on foreign licence.
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
We were stopped by police near Xerte a couple of weeks ago, in a Spanish registered car!
Asked for driving licence which was a Spanish one, also for metriculation etc.
All in order so No problems.

IP Logged

phoebedog

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Isn't it a bit more likely that the Police are after Spanish residents driving about in UK registered cars. Really by the time you have got an NIE you should have re registered your car.

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 12:58am
Print Post  
Its not the cars that have generated the fines, its the licence that is the current problem. Angry

IP Logged

Sam
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
To scared to go out now incase them debt collectors stop me Sad

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Quote:
There is a big stir in the Mora area as the police have been stopping UK registered cars on the roundabout leaving town. They ask for the driving licence & if its a Euro licence or UK licience they ask for your NIE number if you produce one they take this as evidence that you are a resident of Spain. They then fine you 200 Euro based on a new law that requires one to have a Spanish licence if you are a resident.  Angry

I am not resident as I live between three countries. I have an NIE as I had to get one to buy a property. I use my UK licence as I drive and am based in the UK. My car is UK registered MOT'd and insured and spends less than half the year in Spain.
So an NIE is not evidence of residency.
I also have a Bulgarian foreigners  ID card which is the same type as an NIE , I can't be resident in three countries at the same time.

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

transalp
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Is it not NIF number for residents and NIE for people like Cactus who do not live permanently but use for holidays etc??

IP Logged

RiumarPat
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Me too ,we have a NIE nos. because we own a house here but we and our car are registered as living in the UK.  So if stopped should we deny having NIE numbers?  Just say we are holidaying here?

IP Logged

Sam
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Same here I travel over once a month for a week or so, van is uk registered as that's where I live also have NIE number because they make you get that to buy property here! I'm not sure if they have the means to check from the roadside but if I get stopped I will be telling them in just on holiday and don't have a nie, worth a go rather than just dipping in your pocket

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2015 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Of course an NIE is not the same as the residency. The problem is that the police have issued fines on the basis that NIE is evidence of residency, which is not correct as in the cases above. Sam lives in the Uk why should it be necessary for him to have a Spanish licence.? or face a fine.? One cannot get a Spanish licence using a NIE cert.

IP Logged

El_Alto

Dutch and Curious

Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2015 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
Quote:
So if stopped should we deny having NIE numbers?  Just say we are holidaying here?

In general (works in most countries, not only in Spain) do not speak the language at all if the police stops you. Just talk a lot in your own and a bit of childly spanish 'nie problemo senor?' Look very "Que?" on every question and talk a lot rubbish to your wife or whomever is sitting in the car with you. It is amazing what you can get away with. Worked fine for me, even in countries as Marokko (after accidently driving true a red light  Grin) If your car papers and licence are O.K. no policeman wants to spend an afternoon with a stupid foreigner who he does not understand.

Good luck,
Mark

IP Logged

John
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 11th, 2015 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
There are a ot of rumours I hope to clarify the facts:

NIE is NOT proof of residencia. it is soley so you can buy property, cars, open bank accounts etc.

A Residencia card is proof of residencie. (If you have a NIE number the police can check whether you have residencia immediately so do''nt try to deny it - you will be found out because it the police who issue residencia cards)

The police CAN insist you change your driving licence for a Spanish one if you have been on Spanish soil for two years. Her'es the EU Directive which gives them the authority to do so - see paragraph 6.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1430377687650&uri=CELEX:32006...

John.

IP Logged

Bunter
God Member

Forum Cerebral Bore

Reply #12 - Jun 11th, 2015 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
www.tumbit.com/news/articles/6681-dgt-clarifies-uk-spanish-driving-licence-requi...

citizensadvice.org.es/must-residents-exchange-licences-spanish-2-years
-residency/
The above think traffico are wrong.copy paste above link.

Some light reading to confuse even more. I wonder what will happen to us all when the UK votes us out of the E U   Shocked Shocked Shocked

IP Logged

Bunter
God Member

Forum Cerebral Bore

Reply #13 - Jun 11th, 2015 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
citizensadvice.org.es

They say no need to change see full report on their website.
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2015 at 3:21pm by Bunter »  

IP Logged

Bunter
God Member

Forum Cerebral Bore

Reply #14 - Jun 19th, 2015 at 1:27pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top