Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Almonds (Read 10403 times)
phoebedog

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Almonds
Oct 2nd, 2015 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Hi folks,
Just wondered if any of you have any almonds, preferably the Marcona round shelled ones. There is a chap in UK wants to buy some and he contacted me as I handed nearly finished taking mine to the mill in Tortosa. Not sure how many he wants bur he usually pays a good price.  I am just wondering if it's feasible to get some together and ship them out to him.
Bill H

IP Logged

Betty_Swollox

Old git

Re: Almonds
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2015 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Hi Bill

Hope all well with you. I have just finished my almond crop and am ready to go to Tortosa with mine but may be a good idea to hear what price your contact in UK will pay. I have about 200kg of Marcona and about 250kg of Communas

Cheers,
Simon 677822413

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2015 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Hi Betty,
I have a spare bit of land that I'm considering planting up with almonds.  I know nothing about their cultivation and was wondering if you could advise.  The two varieties you mention:-
1. Can the young trees (seedlings) be bought easily round here ?
2. Are these two varieties self fertile or would I need both for cross pollination ?
3. What is the growth rate i.e. if I planted trees of about 1m height, how long would it be before I had trees of a size to bear fruit.
Thanks in advance.
Roger
P.S.  Hope your swollox are less betty now that the cooler weather has arrived Smiley

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

Betty_Swollox

Old git

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2015 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Hi Roger

The 2 names I mentioned above (Marcona and Communa) aren't actual varieties but refer to either big ones (Marcona) or smaller ones (Communa) and you get a different price for them.

Soldebre sells young trees, as does many other garden centres. If you mentioned that you want larger variety trees and have an idea of how many you want then any garden centre - and there are some excellent ones in Vinaros area - will get them for you.

Regards maturity and fruiting, the blossom is so attractive to insects that you won't need to worry about pollination. 1m to fruit bearing size may take 2 to 4 years depending on variety.

Hope that helps, and yes thank you, the nether regions are much more comfortable these days.

IP Logged

JamJarChris

Power to the peaceful

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2015 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
My 2c
Viveros Sancho in Alcanar supply bare rooted trees and the prices and quality are superb

http://www.viverossancho.com/

quod ambit, redit
GTalk  
IP Logged

ColinB
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2015 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Betty_Swollox wrote on Oct 16th, 2015 at 2:09pm:
Hi Roger

The 2 names I mentioned above (Marcona and Communa) aren't actual varieties but refer to either big ones (Marcona) or smaller ones (Communa) and you get a different price for them.

Soldebre sells young trees, as does many other garden centres. If you mentioned that you want larger variety trees and have an idea of how many you want then any garden centre - and there are some excellent ones in Vinaros area - will get them for you.

Regards maturity and fruiting, the blossom is so attractive to insects that you won't need to worry about pollination. 1m to fruit bearing size may take 2 to 4 years depending on variety.

Hope that helps, and yes thank you, the nether regions are much more comfortable these days.

Marcona is a variety and one that commandseone of the highest prices.  Commune relates to "all other rubbish" (check with Internet if you wish).

If you Google something like ' world almond prices' etc, you will learn the bottom has fallen out of the ground nut market due to an amazing increase in peanut allergy, something like a 30% increase in a decade.  Almonds are taking over in the USA but whether we see a rise in prcces is debatable as the peasant farmer will always be at the bottom of the pile.  If you have Marconas then it may be worth irrigating them if you can do so cheaply.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2015 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Thanks very much for the info Betty and Chris.
Colin, irrigation isn't a problem as the patch of land I have in mind is adjacent to my well.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

phoebedog

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Oct 17th, 2015 at 1:35am
Print Post  
Can I suggest that after Christmas we all meet up for a chat about almonds and the possibility of selling them in the UK. Just a thought.
Bill H

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #8 - Oct 17th, 2015 at 7:27am
Print Post  
Prices for almonds are high this year. Check http://proalmendra.com/hoja-de-precios/

There have been a number of thefts of almonds from various cooperatives and fields around Spain due to the price. In one theft they lost 1,500Kg - the thieves went in with tractors and trailers to steal them!

http://www.europapress.es/andalucia/noticia-sucesos-detenido-presuntamente-robar...

http://www.abc.es/local-alicante/20150902/abci-incremento-robos-almendra-2015090...

http://www.heraldo.es/noticias/aragon/zaragoza_provincia/2015/09/09/dos_personas...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top