Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
unused system (Read 8384 times)
Paula
Ex Member

unused system
Nov 22nd, 2015 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
hi

I've been chatting to a few of you about solar systems & heating ideas, but my real worry is my water supply.

our house will have been sat, unused since late summer, so the cisternas & filters have not been run through.

What is the best thing to do when we get there this time? We will only be there for about 2 weeks then back to the UK till Feb or so, so I don't want to flush the system through too much & waste water, but also don't want to endanger us. Drinking water wise I think we will go with bottled this time, but what's the best course of action with the cisterna?

I also think there are 2 cisternas, one filled from the roof running one bathroom & one which will have to be filled from a tanker running the kitchen & other bathroom - I have no idea as to how much water we have & am reluctant to fill up & leave if there is a chance the water/filters will stagnate.

Help:)

IP Logged

PaulH

the hills are alive

Re: unused system
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Bleach calculation for drinking water. 12 drops per 10 litres, 20 drops = 1ml, rounded up for a weaker mix 1ml = 20 litres, should be 60ml per 1000 litres.

Hope this helps

Paul

IP Logged

Paula
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 1:43am
Print Post  
so if I find out how much is in the cisterna then ad the relevant bleach all will be well?
Or is this what I have to do normally anyway?

I'm a complete novice here! Smiley

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Don't want to sound high handed but there's no way I would drink stored water whatever the source.  Don't even use it for cooking.
Bottled water (supermarket own brands) is only about 60 cents for a 5 litre bottle.  A lot cheaper than paying water rates in UK.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

Paula
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
I was kind of leaning that way Bigyin!

IP Logged

PaulH

the hills are alive

Reply #5 - Nov 24th, 2015 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Of course you wouldn't drink it, but the calculation for us is to take the smell away, the problem is how to mix it, suppose you can pump it around. we have a small 2000 litre cisterna on a small house we rent & if after the winter it hasn't been used we put some in, also used it on larger ones that have been standing, it works well but might sting a little in the shower so make sure you go easy on it & round it down.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #6 - Nov 24th, 2015 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
PaulH wrote on Nov 22nd, 2015 at 8:55pm:
Bleach calculation for drinking water.

Just commenting on what you said here Paul for Paula's benefit.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

El_Alto

Dutch and Curious

Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2015 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Hi Paula,

Chlorine is not only agains the smell but more importent to avoid legionnairs disease. If you are only for a few weeks in Spain it seems useless to use chlorine in the whole cisterna. If you want to do it controlled then buy yourself a watercube, pump the water you will use in the cube. You can then put chlorine only in the water in the cube. In most big supermarkets you can buy chlorine for swimming pools and also test strips to find out if you did enough chlorine in the water.

Good luck,
Mark

IP Logged

Paula
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint