Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Does your woodburner need commissioning? (Read 7341 times)
Paula
Ex Member

Does your woodburner need commissioning?
Dec 23rd, 2015 at 5:16am
Print Post  
We are planning on putting in a woodburner, in the uk they require 'commissioning' by a certified fitter. Is this the same in Spain?

I noticed on another thread that there was discussion as to which way up the flue goes (female up or down) as they seem to be opposite uk to eu?

Are there different qualities of flue? We won't require a liner, as it's just the flue going straight up.

Are there regs about having to have parts that could be touched double lined?

We quite like some of the English stoves, has anyone imported one & is it worth it?

& last question, cast iron v steel bodies?

Thanks

IP Logged

Petertwosheds
Ex Member

Re: Does your woodburner need commissioning?
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2015 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Hi Paula,  Any new installation would require commissioning whether it's a legal requirement or not here I'm unsure,
We brought a woodburner over from the UK with a back boiler attached to give us a little heat via radiators, with it being wood fuelled it does take a bit to get the temperatures up,  depends on the number obviously,  Steel or cast ?  depends on price really ours cost £650 in the UK not seen one here with the boiler, but the standard wood burners tend to be steel and cost wise from about 250 euros.
The flues in the UK have the joints "female up" that is so condensation does not run down the inside and wash out the jointing compound and only the terminal is the other way around. Here I remember it being reversed ..cannot remember now, but the off take from the boiler is usually female.
Material wise you can get anything if you're willing to pay, galvanised, enamelled or factory insulated stainless steel, again can be an expensive item, we brought ours over with the boiler from the UK and plumbed for the enamelled as it was inside the property to generate more heat.
Hope this helps

IP Logged

Bunter
God Member

Forum Cerebral Bore

Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2015 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Peter is right the UK pipe system makes common sense only in Spain would they reverse it. The result for me was black tar running down the pipes and onto my nice pink walls. I have now sealed the pipes with fireproof cement and wrapped each joint with weatherproof alu tape. result nice pink walls no tar.l should have used double skinned pipe as once the hot gases leave the room part of the pipe they cool outside where the pipe and air are colder resulting in tar crystals these should drop down the chimney and burn off but if your pipes are not set at the correct angle they will form a mass and block the chimney. Below is a website that gives lots of info re the differing systems. We have a cast iron fire which we bought here in Spain. There is a big fire/wood-burner shop next to a garden centre on the N340 on the way to Vineros (Right hand side)Their prices include fitting. You could always buy in the UK and either bring it or Les will deliver with his trusty van. I would buy caste iron every time. Also if you want to paint it a nice Red or Dark Green etc bring the paint with you its hard to find here.  Cool Cool Cool Cool

If I was buying now I would not touch a wood burner I would install a wood pellet stove. They will not make your nice white walls off white they are cheap and as you get older lugging a large amount of logs in every day does become a pain. Remember in this part of Spain it is chilly until the end of March. Cheesy

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stove-spain.html

A VERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL  Smiley Smiley Smiley

« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2015 at 3:33pm by Bunter »  

Tortosa_Air_Con.jpg ( 10 KB | 215 Downloads )
Tortosa_Air_Con.jpg

IP Logged

Paula
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2015 at 12:46am
Print Post  
Thanks Peter & Bunter Smiley

Not sure I want to go pellets yet, might wait a few years:) & it's not too bad as we are fortunate we are all on one level! The fire is to be a feature rather than just a means for heating so we wanted something sexy.
We did visit the stove shop on the 340, fab place (& the garden centre was good too) we found two beautiful stoves which hung on the wall, but both were/are steel & the website called them chimineas (spelling!)
I didn't realise their prices included fitting, good to know!

Other than longevity & possible heat retention why go for cast?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top