Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Extending (Read 10153 times)
Robors2
Ex Member

Extending
Feb 7th, 2016 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
So I have learned from the architect that the new laws about
60 sq/m cottage do not apply to people like me who do not have a permanent residence near by. I am going to be lucky if I get a legal house/shed with about 45 sq/m.

This is not enough for the future if I want to spend here up to 6 months of a year.

Question for you I have is what about if I extend bit by bit over few years to 60 sq/m, 25% (hopefully without local authority's knowledge) ?
I know this is illegal and the consequences can be painful and costly but Spanish people do it. Hopefully I can keep this farm for very long time without the need of selling it for at least 25 years.
Cheers
Rob 

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Re: Extending
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Some people here do seem to get away with illegal building, but beware.
Spotter planes are sent out and take note of bits added on to so called sheds.
Only last week a house near here was demolished after the owners had been warned and told not to carry on with the building work.
You mentioned in a previous post I am sure, about being on the edge of a Park with forest area!
A few years ago a couple built their dream house on the edge of a Park. They were told not to, but they carried on
only to loose everything.
I am sure your solicitor has advised you not to go ahead?

IP Logged

Robors2
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Thanks, I do need a bucket of cold water to realize the risks.

Maybe I should save some more dosh and buy proper.

IP Logged

hhmunro
YaBB Newbies

Forum newbie

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
I do love posts like this, really only one question to ask yourself, would you do it in Your own country? Probably not, I am guessing, so why do you think you can do it in someone else's?

Oh, and rules may not apply to locals quite so much, they know everyone, have been here for dozens of generations, are related to each other in ways that are unfathomable, AND they are probably farming their land.

But, if you wish to take the risk, best of luck...

IP Logged

Robors2
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2016 at 8:38pm
Print Post  

hhmunro wrote on Feb 8th, 2016 at 5:37pm:
I do love posts like this, really only one question to ask yourself, would you do it in Your own country? Probably not, I am guessing, so why do you think you can do it in someone else's?

Oh, and rules may not apply to locals quite so much, they know everyone, have been here for dozens of generations, are related to each other in ways that are unfathomable, AND they are probably farming their land.

But, if you wish to take the risk, best of luck...

Thanks for your reply,

Every agent or Spanish farm owner I have met over last couple of years when viewing property says, YEAH you can build this and that, WE all do it......

This is all about taking risk, I am sure many of you registered forum members live part time or full time in not so legal Country Houses, but if you have not paid much there is not much risk.
I have met English who extended their houses/sheds or converted garages/ storage into livable space for their own needs and there was no drama.
The place I want to buy has a 30 sq/m building so this not just a bare land.
Oh well decision time is coming.

IP Logged

Michael

Village Idiot

Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:28am
Print Post  
I know several locals who proceeded with building work only to be caught out considerably later in the day much to their detriment.  Don't overlook the fact that the authorities are happy to concoct any scheme they can think of to fill the coffers in these difficult times and change or introduce laws and regulations and indulge in back-dating.  Independent and qualified advice is worth paying for even if it is only to put a handle on the level of risk you are potentially taking.  (Look before you leap.)

I think there is an equivalent to the law of prescription here but someone like David Piqué might be able to clarify.

Dreams cost nothing... reality usually comes at a price.

IP Logged

Robors2
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2016 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Ok, thanks for you wise words.

Lets say I have a legal building on the farm which is about 45 sq/m, is there anyway, anything that could be build temporally using any material to accommodate additional storage?   

In England if you have been refused a permission to build an extension you can always alter the plans and try again, if this does not help you can appeal.    

In Spain you can ask for permission and if you failed then that's it, no other options?

This probably sound a little bit desperate but I do like this area very much, farm is located in fantastic area with water and is within my budged.

IP Logged

Paula
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2016 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
We have not long bought here in the campo & were advised by the local & very lovely David Pique not to think about extending & used the same argument that hhmunroe used, would you do it in the Lake District?
The owner (who was Spanish) who sold to us had to pay back taxes etc on a brick porch on the front of the house (abt 2sqm), & what they also called a porch which is an area covered with a tin roof, it's considered a permenant structure so illegal! He was lucky & didn't have to tear down!
Buy somewhere that has the footprint you need & renovate!

IP Logged

Paula
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2016 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
Also we were told that they send drones down the valleys each year with cameras to film & they will check!

IP Logged

Robors2
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
[quote
Buy somewhere that has the footprint you need & renovate!
[/quote]

Thank you for your wise advise,

I will look at some places further south this May and coming back in December for three week search as well.
Cheers

IP Logged

Paula
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Mar 11th, 2016 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Good luck, it's a lovely area & worth the effort Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top