Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Water filters (Read 10535 times)
Paula
Ex Member

Water filters
Jun 15th, 2016 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Hi, me again!
We have started to use roof rainwater in our cisterna & as a previous post said we have had a few smell issues - not what I'm asking about here!
We would like to fit a water filtration system that will do all the house water, not a little drinking one. Have any of you got one or know of a good one that won't cost 2,500€?

IP Logged

David
Ex Member

Re: Water filters
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2016 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Hello

Do you really need to filter all your water ? The stuff you use to flush the loo ? The stuff you use to wash clothes ? I have cheap little filters on the loo to trap sand and other stuff from blocking the valve. I clean it about once a year or when it is obviously blocked. I bought a 5 stage osmosis unit from BricoMart in Castellon (same DIY chain as B&Q) for €99. This does the drinking water. I have replaced the filters once in 2 years. I bought a cheap water tester off ebay. This measures suspended solids. The filtered water is always better when compared to bottled water as to suspended solids. You can always buy the bottled stuff to drink neat if you have doubts. You usually boil the water in cooking, making tea etc so the filtered stuff will be fine. I hope that helps
David

IP Logged

David
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2016 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Sorry, just one more thing. When we are blanching vegetables ready for the freezer, we use a lot of cold water before the freezing process. We fetch town water in 8 litre containers. This is usually free and contains chlorine so it is safe
David

IP Logged

Paula
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 7:27am
Print Post  
Thanks David, to filter some of the water would need a complete replumb, & we didn't want to do that, we also need to have the water not smell as the house is used as a holiday let in the summer months........
I think our town water, in El Perello, is grey water, so not an option Sad

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
The sediment filters that David mentions are simple to install in line on your main input pipe.  If it's black Alkathene, just cut the pipe and connect the filter.
For cooking we use the 5 or 8 litre bottles (supermarket own brand) and for drinking, Bezoya (high quality spring water) available in 1.5 litre or 5 litre bottles.  Although you might not be used to buying drinking and cooking water, it's a lot cheaper than paying water rates in UK. Smiley

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

David
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Hello again. The town water I mentioned is taken from municipal drinking water taps. Most towns and villages have such a source.
Certainly not grey water. Usually there is a sign that says "agua potable"
To plumb the osmosis system in took me 30 mins. It just connects to the water source pipe and the waste pipe under the sink

IP Logged

antisocialandy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
We live in a village , and the water is not for people who come to the village to plunder the water , as a resident we pay for this water and yet you are giving advice to people to come and take something they haven't paid for ! Unbelievable !!!! I bet if you had ro pay your rates you would get the hump too !

IP Logged

sutgesdad

Forum newbie

Reply #7 - Sep 19th, 2016 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Actually you do not pay for the water available from the fonts. Had the same complaints as yours in Gandesa but proved they were wrong. Cravanners, cyclists, motorists, tourists, locals, that water is available to all. Cool

IP Logged

Michael

Village Idiot

Reply #8 - Sep 19th, 2016 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
There are a variety of spring water sources in our neck of the woods.  When I visit them - for their aesthetic charms - I regularly see Moroccans filling countless large plastic receptacles - far more than could be for their own immediate personal use - which I'm guessing 'feed' their community (for free).  As the saying goes 'When in Rome do what the Moroccans do'.  The locals swear by the health-giving properties of this spring water - particularly in regard to your kidneys.  When in Tortosa...

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 20th, 2016 at 9:51am
Print Post  
I would not believe what the locals say about the water being healthy.  The water here is full of lime deposits which can cause all sorts of problems like kidney stones or the bladder stones from which I suffered until they were removed.  Just take a look at the calcium scale in the bottom of your kettle if you do not use a filter.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top