Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 A petition calling for a second EU referendum (Read 11539 times)
What Doing

'A day without a smile
is a day not worth living'

A petition calling for a second EU referendum
Jun 24th, 2016 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
A petition calling for a second EU referendum is close to reaching 100,000 signatures – meaning it must be considered for debate in parliament.

EU Referendum Rules triggering a 2nd EU Referendum Smiley

We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if they remain or leave vote is less than 60% based a turnout less than 75% there should be another referendum.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

IP Logged

What Doing

'A day without a smile

Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
... Update live feed 152,466 signatures

IP Logged

munkonminor

Re: A petition calling for a second EU referendum
Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Shall we make it best out of three ? The vote has been taken and we are out, that's how democracy works. The sun will still rise tomorrow, the flies will be just as bad and the Bankers will still make a killing at our expense.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
I think the number of demands has broken the site.. it says it is down for maintenance..

I received my voting papers on Tuesday 21st, I sent it back the same day but am positive it didn't arrive on time - I wonder how many more votes were lost this way.

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
munkonminor wrote on Jun 24th, 2016 at 8:11pm:
Shall we make it best out of three ? The vote has been taken and we are out, that's how democracy works. The sun will still rise tomorrow, the flies will be just as bad and the Bankers will still make a killing at our expense.

I don't think you would be saying that if you were an ex pat pensioner relying on reciprocal health arrangements with the UK. Rajoy has already said that will disappear.

IP Logged

munkonminor

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
I would unless I didn't believe in Democracy. Unfortunately there will always be winners and losers where Politics is concerned. My pension value also dropped dramatically today but by the end of the exit process it will probably return to it's previous miserable level.

From experience the health care in Spain is better than we currently get it the UK unless you have insurance. If you are resident why are you worried ? If you are not worried come on home  Smiley

IP Logged

What Doing

'A day without a smile

Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
It transpires that many 'Out Voters' now regret their decision.

How can they possibly treat such an important vote so flippantly as to regret it just hours later?

For me, I am in disbelief. I'm angry, ashamed shocked and very worried for the 'British' people. Most people have no idea what they have done and the consequences that will follow.

We are going to become a broken, destroyed nation with no identity in isolation unless we can reverse this mess. This has been always apparent if we were to vote 'Out'

It is a very sad day for the UK, Europe and the rest of the world.

Well done Boris it looks like you have achieved your objective and your own agenda. You should hang your head in shame and apologize for  the catastrophic nightmare you are about to create for the sovereign state you want your so called people to live in.

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2016 at 8:31am
Print Post  
munkonminor wrote on Jun 24th, 2016 at 10:16pm:
I would unless I didn't believe in Democracy. Unfortunately there will always be winners and losers where Politics is concerned. My pension value also dropped dramatically today but by the end of the exit process it will probably return to it's previous miserable level.

From experience the health care in Spain is better than we currently get it the UK unless you have insurance. If you are resident why are you worried ? If you are not worried come on home  Smiley

British pensioners who have moved to EU countries to take advantage of a lower cost of living and to make their pensions go further (and there are thousands of them) only receive free health care because of the reciprocal arrangement Britain has with the EU.  Spain and all the other EU countries are under no obligation to offer this once Britain leaves unless the UK  offer the same arrangements to EU citizens, and as the NHS "being overstretched by immigrants" was one of the reasons people voted leave, I can't see it happening.

I'm not worried for myself, we are happy living here and can afford to do so without any help from Britain.  The chances of us coming back to the UK after Thursday's vote are about zero, it has become ugly and toxic.  The lunatics have taken over the asylum

IP Logged

robo
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 25th, 2016 at 9:57am
Print Post  
We are not out as yet ,it has to go through the house of commons then the house of lords both are very strongly in favour of staying in we will have to Waite and see what happens

IP Logged

nilly_bear
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 25th, 2016 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Obviously different people are worried for there own reasons.
But,my personal opinion ,for what it's worth,is to
Sit tight and try and ride the storm out.
But everybody has their own ideas ,thoughts and opinions.
But nobody actual knows what is going to happen,until
The powers that  be sit down and discuss details.
And this could take up to a couple of years or more ,there is 80,000 odd sheets of paper
To seive through
Me personally what I am going to do other than sit tight .
Me and my children,are applying for 4 more passports ,
Irish,spanish and if Catalonia get independence
Their passport.
Also a swiss passport as I did read somewhere there is a politic party
That want a guaranteed income for everyone of 20.000 euros ,I believe.
Also thinking of a Russian passport because they are trying to
Develop teleportation,now that's  a thought.
Surely I can't go wrong CAN I Cheesy
OR CAN I

« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2016 at 7:48pm by »  

IP Logged

JamJarChris

Power to the peaceful

Reply #10 - Jun 28th, 2016 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Brexit "Do Over" Petition Exposed As A Scam...

"Only it turns out that many of the petition's signatories are fabricated in a prank engineered by hackers 4Chan and Anonymous"

More here http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-06-28/brexit-do-over-petition-exposed-scam

quod ambit, redit
GTalk  
IP Logged

What Doing

'A day without a smile

Reply #11 - Jun 28th, 2016 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
I have spoken to David Lammy today and according to him this is not true!

IP Logged

nilly_bear
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 28th, 2016 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
I personally don't think there will be a second referendum
It will end up like table tennis ,first to 21.
Firstly article 50 has to be triggered.
The exit out of the EU has to go through the house of commons
And the house of lords, who are mostly pro EU.
It also I think has to be agreed by all  the other members
Of the EU block ,which is ,27 other countries.
There is a long long way to go yet!!!

IP Logged

DenGeo

Forum newbie

Reply #13 - Jun 29th, 2016 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
I moved here full time 5 years ago after having a holiday home here since 2004.  I am not  a pensioner, not for another 6 years, unless the government move the goal posts again.
At age 55 years my wife and I decided to retire early and move here full time.
We bought private medical cover which increased in cost annually until today when it stands at €1200.00 a year each. On top of that you buy your own medication and make additional co-payments to keep the overall cost down.  €12.00 to visit the G.P., €11.00 to have an injection, but, all other costs are covered. I needed heart tests which were done the same day, an abdominal scan which was done the following day. I have blood tests twice a year.  I have had two colonoscopies, under general thankfully. I was allowed to administer the pre op internal cleansing program at home myself.  The N.H.S. option would be to be as a day  patient and keep dashing from the ward to the loo
The other choice to keep costs down in the U.K. is that you get a packet in the post and you have to smear sticks with your bodily waste and post them back to be tested.
If you pay privately you get things done quicker and usually better.
The same is for the U.K., the N.H.S. is now at crisis point, not only because of increased immigration, but also because of the number of new managers needed to operate all the departments.  Sadly the days of Matron are long gone, when wards were spotless as opposed to today where corners are cut to save money. Cleaning contracts switch firms more often than Hollywood actors switch partners.
The U.K. made a rod for it's own back when kids were allowed to leave school and sign on for life claiming a raft of benefits.  When I explain to Catalan friends how easy it is not to work yet still maintain an income they are amazed.
All this cannot be blamed on the E.U.
We now split our time equally between our English home and our Spanish home.  In order to remain within the law we can only have residency in one country so we chose the U.K.  Yes it does cost more to run a car on English road tax and English insurance etc; but at the same time we can save on medical insurance and buy holiday insurance instead. As stated earlier we are not pensioners so the worry of the exchange rate does not affect our way of life directly at present.  Currency fluctuations are a way of life so it will be a case of time will tell where and when the £ will settle.  As soon as the markets calm down as soon as the political parties calm down things may be brighter.
Sadly the younger generation saying the older generation robbed them of their future is continuing, even though the older generation secured a future for the young.  Some people in England now think that all non-English people will leave the country and anyone working will get a pay rise, anyone on benefits will not be facing cuts and anyone who wants a doctors appointment will get one tomorrow.  A lot of people voted with limited knowledge of what the greater implications of Brexit would be, they did not want that knowledge as they were happy in their own world.
The facts remain a vote was taken and due to our democratic process we should accept the result.  Yes it was the closest of ballots and no doubt there are people in seats of power now working on how they can manipulate the process to move in their favour, time will out.....Rant over, off for siesta.

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 29th, 2016 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
"Sadly the younger generation saying the older generation robbed them of their future is continuing, even though the older generation secured a future for the young."

Clearly they didn't.  If you are talking about WW2 there are very few left to vote who fought, anyone who was 18 in 1944 would be 90 today.  The ones who voted out were the baby boomers, my parent's generation who might have done National Service but weren't in active service and who have benefitted so much from the NHS, cheap mortgages in the 60s, final salary pensions for the last twenty years etc

Anyone with money will survive this hiatus.  It's those without the wherewithal to pay for medical insurance I feel sorry for.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top