Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Advice on duck keeping (Read 3533 times)
Eulalie
Ex Member

Advice on duck keeping
Nov 17th, 2016 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
I have put a post on the Freecycling section offering 4 Khaki Campbell ducks and have had a reply from someone who is interested in keeping ducks, but has no experience of caring for them. I have very little knowledge myself, so am limited in what advice I can give. In particular, I wonder whether my ducks, who are accustomed to having a large pond to swim in, would adjust to a more confined space, with possibly only a small bath for cleaning their feathers. Has anyone out there got any knowledge they can share about moving ducks to a new home? Or know anyone I could contact? Many thanks for any advice/suggestions.

IP Logged

Bunter
God Member

Forum Cerebral Bore

Re: Advice on duck keeping
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 3:14am
Print Post  
I always have flown over a copy of pleasant plucker's monthly (No I don't mean Michael)
This month it was unavailable so Moby Dickens Bookshop Pall Mall enclosed a frightfully spiffing yarn called Drummer Dick's discharge. It was that hot I couldn't put it down. Oh by the way here are a few tips re ducks etc chin chin.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

https://poultrykeeper.com/keeping-ducks/

Go halfway down the page click on the green box for the beginners section. Cool
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2016 at 8:57am by Bunter »  

Tortosa_gunge.jpg ( 10 KB | 139 Downloads )
Tortosa_gunge.jpg

IP Logged

Michael

Village Idiot

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Bunter.  I trust Drummer Dick sought medical attention about his discharge.  These things are often caused by bacteria and can take hold overnight.  Broad spectrum antibiotics can be a great solution but he would have to be prepared to drain the pus regularly until they start to work.  Drink lots of fluids!

Any update as to Dick's condition would be most welcome. 

(I'm glad the apostrophe s was after Dick not Drummer.) 

Dr. Michael (Old Quack)
Grin

IP Logged

Michael

Village Idiot

Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Read it.  Saw the film.  Got the T-Shirt.  It might have been a dodgy copy one from Bangladesh.  Not 'bona fide'.

IP Logged

DaisyMay
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
The ducks should be fine with a bath or paddling pool. Large breeds kept for their meat usually need to mate on water but these are smaller egg laying ducks so should have no difficulty. You probably need to keep them confined for a few days so that they don't run away, and of course shut them away from Mr. fox at night.

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
The main thing with ducks is that need to have water deep enough to be able to immerse their eyes in it. That's the only way to keep their eyes clean. Also any water container needs to able to be emptied out and cleaned and refilled, because them there ducks will do everything in that water. Within a day it's filthy again. Nothing like experience😉

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

Eulalie
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2016 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the advice. The duck-keeping link looks very helpful. The recipe link not so helpful, as it leaves out the crucial steps between duck on pond and duck in kitchen! But Ta anyway. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top