Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Carretera Lleida-Vielha in a loaded van ? (Read 3423 times)
philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Carretera Lleida-Vielha in a loaded van ?
Feb 5th, 2017 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Hi I am driving down to Tortosa at the end of March ,and still planning the route  down.
The last time I drove down i went via the Millau Bridge - la jonquera- Barcelona route  down and return route was via the Cadi Tunnel - Tunnel du Puymorens- Toulouse ,I was thinking about taking the Cadi route again ? but thinking Carretera Lleida-Vielha Tunnel, route might be better less steep hills ? as the trucks use this
Any advise appreciated Grin

IP Logged

ceilidh
Ex Member

Re: Carretera Lleida-Vielha in a loaded van ?
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
hi we use this route all of the time and it is great. just be careful to check the amount of snow should be ok by end of march.not too many trucks also try looking at the bielsa tunnel rouute very quiet

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2017 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Thanks for this,I didn't even know about this tunnel, I've put it in my favourites in via Michelin, and done abit of a search ,I'm basically looking for the best route across fully loaded ,and kindest to my clutch and gearbox ,as its not a new van 😀😀😀😀ive read its quite steep leading up to the Vielha tunnel ?and the same for the Bielsa tunnel  what your thoughts .
Thanks

IP Logged

ceilidh
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2017 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
yes they are both quite steep but vielha less so.

IP Logged

Michael

Village Idiot

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2017 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
You could take the Brittany Ferry - Plymouth/Portsmouth to Satander/Bilbao.  Once you have taken all the French tolls, overnight stops, wear & tear, fuel etc. into account it might be the better option.  It is certainly less stressful on the old body!

IP Logged

ceilidh
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 8:29am
Print Post  
we stay off the toll roads as much as possible .use a cheap hotel usually " premier class " for one night with fuel and ferry costs about 200 euros much cheaper than the santander bilbao route .we used it in years gone by but find it very pricey now.

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Thanks to both of you for your replies, I've watched a few videos  on utube, of the approach and exit of the Vielha tunnel /N230 and  Im allot happier now,I've been on that road many years ago,on the Spanish side.but thought it was like the N260 a road that I woundnt want to drive a big old van on,saying that the views on that road are breathtaking.
I've already booked ferry ,Newhaven/Dieppe £200 return,around £150 cheaper than Portsmouth/Le Havre,would have been cheaper, if van was a few millimeters shorter😤 but best to pay now than be caught out once there!
Thanks again
Phil Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top