Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Pellet Stoves (Read 4408 times)
cubetwo
Ex Member

Pellet Stoves
Feb 26th, 2017 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Hi,
Am considering ditching the Attika woodburner and getting a pellet stove. I do have central heating for everywhere except the lounge, kitchen areas which rely on heat from the log burner.
The convenience, cleanliness  and the ability to totally control stop, start times and room temperature much like a conventional heating system certainly appeal! Also am looking to "future proof" the house as I realise that whilst I am happy to saw logs, store them, collect tinder etc in the winter months it is not always going to be so appealing as one gets older.

Any input as to other pros/cons  much appreciated.

Ian

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Re: Pellet Stoves
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
For what it's worth, the novelty of collecting and processing firewood wore off long ago for me.
I would have thought that the capital cost of a pellet stove would not be cost effective to heat two rooms.  I don't know the running costs but they are probably similar to buying logs (and a good store of pellets will take up a lot of room.)
Have you considered the modern paraffin inverter stoves ?  Very clean and efficient and can be moved from room to room.  They have timer controls etc.  About 200 euros to buy.  The clean paraffin isn't cheap (about 2 euros/litre) but very good for a quick warm up.  We have two and one is enough to heat a 45sqm room.  Have a look here :-
http://www.leroymerlin.es/productos/calefaccion/estufas_de_gas_y_parafina/estufa...

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

cubetwo
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Hi Bigyin,
Thanks for your input. We do already have  a couple of inverter paraffin stoves and as you say they are very good. We are looking for something a bit more flexible control wise. The larger of the two stoves we have does not really provide a good all round heat ... it is fine for keeping the  chill off our rather large living area  it something more gutsy is needed as a permanent heat source Sad

Ian

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
My memories of paraffin burners is as a child and the whole house stinking of paraffin. Have they come on a bit since the 50's.

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

munkonminor

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
I hope so as you may struggle to get the Blue or Pink versions now........

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
cactus jack wrote on Feb 28th, 2017 at 7:29pm:
My memories of paraffin burners is as a child and the whole house stinking of paraffin. Have they come on a bit since the 50's. 

Yes, they have.  A slight smell for about a minute when switched on and again when switched off.  They are fan assisted and use a much more refined fuel.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

cubetwo
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Yes I have to say the modern day paraffin and paraffin stoves bear no resemblance to those of my childhood! Having said that I still have one of the old fashioned variety in my loft back in the UK. Not sure I would even dare to try to get it going now!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top