Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 solar required (Read 5726 times)
Jon
YaBB Newbies

Forum newbie

solar required
Nov 13th, 2017 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Hi All. can anyone advise me where is the best place to buy a basic starter solar set up, i realise they are big money but i was in Bauhaus recently and they had a starter kit for about 1200 euros, does any one know of any where else locally where i can get some thing that i can add to as and when i need to. ie extra panels and batteries. initially just looking to power the lights and telly for a few hours a day. we only visit about 5 weeks of the year. but it would be nice to turn the lights on in the evening without the generator droning and having to get out of bed to turn the genny off at sleep time thank you

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Re: solar required
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 10:15am
Print Post  

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

Michael

Village Idiot

Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 10:25am
Print Post  
However you solve your problem please be aware that, in unoccupied houses - particularly those in the countryside, things like solar systems and generators have a habit of leaving the premises never to be seen again.

IP Logged

Jon
YaBB Newbies

Forum newbie

Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 11:12am
Print Post  
Thank you for the link, we have had 3 generators and 2 water pumps stolen in the past 10 years, so i would probably mount the  panels so i can remove them when i am not at the finca and store them at my neighbours

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 11:28am
Print Post  
I've pm'd you.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

sutgesdad

Forum newbie

Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Hi. I don't know whether you fly back and forth t UK but if you drive then check out bimble solar on internet or eBay.co.uk. They have great offers on solar panels, full systems too, possibly the best prices. Batteries can also be bought on eBay if you want to bring them over. Another alternative is technosun.com (or .es) Based in Valencia i think, they do complete systems, individual items, roof mounting kits etc, etc. Finally, supermercadosolar, based in Girona have good deals too.
Good luck.
PS. Buy a small electric/battery engraving tool and mark your panels, inverter with your parcela & poligon number + your phone number. Engraving the aluminium structure with this info means thieves have to grind away at the thin frames. A pain if you're a robber!!   Wink

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Good advise about engraving,but through experience the Thief's don,t care ,I only leave outside a 20w panel to trickle charge, my big one  will be pole mounted,so I can easily take it down ,and put inside when back in the UK.
I do find e bay best for panels etc ,but then you have the big expense of getting it  all to Spain'
I would say the Batteries are the biggest outlay, I,m waiting for the stand by batteries for the generators at work to become available, they swap them out every 3-5 years(mega expense) ,and I would have hoped that you should get close to 10 years out of a well maintained  battery,25 years life on a solar panel. Wink

IP Logged

PaulH

the hills are alive

Reply #7 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Your solar output should be 10% of your battery amp hours for correct charging, eg battery 500 a/h then 50 amps of solar, and be sure to size wiring correctly based on 3% loss.

IP Logged

sutgesdad

Forum newbie

Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2017 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
Here's another little snippet for catching potential thieves stealing your hard earned items. Search 'trail cams or trail cameras' on eBay and invest also in a couple of trail cam solar panels. I have several and, though i've not spotted any robbers yet, i've seen multitudes of different animals prowling my finca. Wild boar, badgers, red & black squirrels etc, etc. With a solar back up panel you'll get up to a year out of 8x AA batteries.
You can now get the cameras from as little as £35 with free shipping, shop around for the little trailcam panels, which have their own built in battery.

IP Logged

PlanesPete

In the Pink....

Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Batteries:
I have bought 3 sets of different sizes from Revosolar in Girona.
www.revosolar.com
Prices are very good and  they give free delivery. I get them dropped off at our local builders merchant and they fork lift onto my trailer.

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 12:38pm
Print Post  

PaulH wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 6:07pm:
Your solar output should be 10% of your battery amp hours for correct charging, eg battery 500 a/h then 50 amps of solar, and be sure to size wiring correctly based on 3% loss.

Thanks Paul very useful did not know that Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

cubetwo
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Just a heads up... We have upgraded and have 6 panels for sale ....
Will be posted in the For Sale section shortly  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top