Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
VPN v BBC (Read 2519 times)
Michael

Village Idiot

VPN v BBC
Apr 8th, 2018 at 10:36am
Print Post  
In recent weeks I have noticed that Tunnel Bear has been unable to 'con' the BBC into thinking I was in the UK and thus allow me to watch programs on the iPlayer.  Channel 5 has also proved awkward though re-launching does eventually allow me to circumvent their objections regarding my location and their 'rights issues'.  Anybody having similar problems / found a solution / recommend a VPN that works??? 

(ITV seems perfectly happy.)

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Re: VPN v BBC
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2018 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
I cancelled my subscription to tunnelbear, as it became impossible to watch either bbc or sky. Fortunately I've not missed it at all.

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 11:47am
Print Post  
I ditched Tunnelbear some time ago and switched to Express VPN.  It's not free but works really well and the support is really good.  On line chat responds quickly and follow up emails quick too.  If a particular UK server isn't working at any time you can switch to alternatives.  iPlayer is really fussy now and you need to be registered with a UK address (preferably as a UK licence holder as they'll probably start checking soon).  If you want more details, pm me.  They usually have "recommend a friend" offers going.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

Michael

Village Idiot

Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 8:00am
Print Post  
Strangely my iPad seems happy with the status quo but my HP laptop (which I normally use for the purpose) is the device that throws a wobbly.  I'm at a loss to explain it.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
The difference would appear to be in the operating system.  When Ver 2 of the download app came out, it installed fine on my 64 bit Win PC in the office but not on the 32 bit I have sitting next to the telly.
They've done some tweaks since then and by following to the letter the instructions on the iPlayer web sight in the trouble shooting section (which is mainly about ensuring all aspects of the previous versions are un-installed), I now have it working fine on the 32bit gear.  You will however still need an authorised UK user's login details.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top