Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Cisterna pumps (Read 9118 times)
Kev
YaBB Newbies

Forum newbie

Cisterna pumps
Jul 18th, 2018 at 9:23am
Print Post  
Hi there,info needed about pump types,what type would be best for general household use?it would need to be able to pump to upstairs too,I'm unsure on what psi or Litres pm and also 12v 24v or 230v? Best make and I have seen submersible pumps...are they the way to go??
It's all new to me!! Thanks Kev

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Re: Cisterna pumps
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2018 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Do you have mains power or solar? And how is your hot water supplied, stored in a water tank, instantaneous (from a combination boiler) or from a gas water heater?

Don't go for 12v or 24v as they give a good pressure but poor flow.

If you can provide more details I can advise.
Nigel

IP Logged

Kev
YaBB Newbies

Forum newbie

Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Thanks Nigel,i have solar power albeit a temporary one for now,3000w for now as we're not living here at the moment,also with the cisterna pump that will be temporary as im looking at getting mains(agricultural)hooked up when permanently here,i was just looking for ways to supply the house so's i don't have to keep driving to the town to fill my 8x20L tubs!!
i have a large wall mounted gas heater for my hot water and im pushing the water at the moment with a Shur Flo 12v motorhome pump,it's not pushing enough water as i can't turn the shower down cool enough..only cold showers at the moment.
so i'm just looking at something temporary that will last me say 4 years untill i move out..
thanks Kev

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Ok, clearer now. What you need is a low power (500-600W is about as low as they go) mains powered pump with a pressure control box. Your solar is more than adequate for that.
You need the electronic control rather than the mechanical one as the boiler temperature is dependent on the water pressure. The pumps with mechanical pressure switches and an expansion vessel do not give a constant pressure so it's difficult/impossible to get a decent shower.

As you've discovered the 12V pumps don't work..

IP Logged

sutgesdad

Forum newbie

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Hi there. In addition to what Nigel says, i can tell you where to buy an idealnpump for your situation. Vinaixa, in Mora d'ebre, where most people in my area have solved many issues on the water and electrical fronts. The pump you want is a BLOCH 300watt 230v ac pump, with controller. The price is approximately €180 for both items, the flow rate is more than enough for a gas water heater,  I have a cointra cob14 heater which allows a tap to be open whilst someone is showering.
Back to the pump, my current one is eight years old, previous one packed up simply because of the excessively hard water i then used. This one is stripped and cleaned annually, with a slight smear of silicon grease where needed.
Vinaixa is easy to find as it's on a corner on the main drag, free car parking 70metres away, oh and an English supermarket 100 metres away, just across street. It's called Mr.Cheap, lots of stuff there including frozen pies, pasties, bacon, sausages, gammon steaks etc, etc. Take a coolbox!! One final thing, if possible have your water storage slightly higher than the pump, just to ensure water is in pipes at all times, my water storage (15 ibc's) is 10" higher than pump. That's the bottom of the ibc's is above pump, not the top which would need some mega supports.

IP Logged

Kev
YaBB Newbies

Forum newbie

Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
Hi there and thanks for the reply,i have searched for info on Bloch pumps but can't find anything!
is the pump submersible?
anyway it sounds like it's the one for the job!
thanks again Kev

IP Logged

sutgesdad

Forum newbie

Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Sorry for slow reply. No it isn't submersible but, with the aid of the controller, which screws into top of pump, it is automatic. That means, you open a tap and it works, close tap and it's off. My pump is bolted to a concrete base near my water deposits, then continues to house.  If you're unsure about the quality of your water you could also put a filter between water source and pump. You can use polyphosphate crystals in a filter body to soften water, if that's an issue.
What else? Ah yes, I believe the maximum head (height) it'll pump to is 5 or 6 metres, so should pump to an upstairs loo, shower etc. Having said that, everyone i know that uses one, me included, have our bathrooms on ground floor. Hope this helps.
Oh, I also looked for Bloch pumps online and had no luck. If it's any consolation then, as stated, my current one is 8 years old, my neighbours is 14 years old, so at least you have an idea of life of these pumps.

IP Logged

Kev
YaBB Newbies

Forum newbie

Reply #7 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Thank you very much sir,that certainly helps,my first cisterna is next to the house and would have to pump around 8 metres before going up say 4 metres to bathroom...I certainly have my work cut out!!
Thanks again..
Kev

IP Logged

sutgesdad

Forum newbie

Reply #8 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Me again. When you say you'd have to pump 8 metres before an elevation of 4 metres, do you mean from a depth of 8 metres? If you do then that's the deepest cisterna i've heard of. If you meant pumping 8 metres horizontally before the elevation, then it's no problem.
Also, you could think outside the box and maybe consider having an extra water store of, say 1000 to 2000 litres at ground level to service the house, you could then top that storage facility up as and when required. An ideal small water store could be one or two ibc's (cubes) connected together and then, via your pump, onward to the house.
It all sounds so challengjng but many people here on the forum have already dealt with issues like this, so there's lots of advice available. Keep at it matey, you'll get there.

IP Logged

Kev
YaBB Newbies

Forum newbie

Reply #9 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Thanks again for the reply,yep 8M horizontal, the cisterna is around 6ft wide by 10ft long and I'm guessing 6ft deep,also I have another cisterna on my land even larger.
The cubo idea seems good I might try that too..thanks!!
Kev

IP Logged

Kev
YaBB Newbies

Forum newbie

Reply #10 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Any idea of cost for a couple of Ibc water cubes?

IP Logged

bruixot
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
From thirty euros on milanuncios.com and vibbo.com
I'd never pay more than €60 for a single second hand one, delivered.
Bruixot

IP Logged

Kev
YaBB Newbies

Forum newbie

Reply #12 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Thank you...

IP Logged

sutgesdad

Forum newbie

Reply #13 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Yep, €60 max on milanuncios, used once for food products and jetwashed clean. Try and get 'em with metal or plastic pallets and replaceable valve/taps. Should last a long time if you keep 'em covered out of sun.

IP Logged

Kev
YaBB Newbies

Forum newbie

Reply #14 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Thank you,i PM'd you re your pump set up...maybe it didnt get through?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top