Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Biting Insects (Read 2835 times)
Tony
Ex Member

Biting Insects
Jun 21st, 2006 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
Has anyone come across these small black insects that land, bite and leave a puncture that leaks blood and keeps one itching for an hour or more.  They are almost driving me crazy and will not respond to Autan.  Do you have a remedy that does not involve a return to England ?  If so, please let me know.

Thanks

Tony

IP Logged

jools
Ex Member

Re: Biting Insects
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2006 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Hi Tony,

Sounds like "mosca negre" or to us foreigners, black fly, they are a damned pest, especially on the fincas.
You can spray all of the finca to keep them at bay, but the best thing for us, is to take loads of garlic capsules.
A local family told me about the Natural Honey body lotion, which is also very effective, you can find it in most supermarkets and Shlecker shops.

Hope this helps.

Jools

IP Logged

flintstones
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Hi:  Yes we have been using the Natural honey body lotion..(white with a red lable), in most supermarkets.  Its been really great....in nearly two weeks of using (only) that have had only one bite...and that was after sitting with my feet in the pool for an hour or so.!!!  Worth giving it a try.  Just need something to keep the flies away now.....

Liz

IP Logged

nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
War was declared on these little buggers last week.They dont like the vegetation being disturbed as it appears they live in it.This week I was mostly wearing HALLEY.It is a small spray bottle available from the pharmacies and it is excellent stuff and it works.If the odd one gets through the outer defences dap a drop of     ' After bite'   on it which is a pen like applicator.It works on paper wasp stings aswell.They tend to attracted by sweat and heavy breathing........

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Jools, Liz, you are my heros!  I've been using Autan (which is excellent for repelling flies and most other insects) but in the early evening I like to go in the garden and pull a few weeds.  Unfortunately the 'Moscas Negre' can't read too well and don't understand that Autan is supposed to repel them - resulting in swarms of the damn things eating me - most unpleasant!

Well, Tracey bought a bottle of the 'Natural Honey' Locion Hidrante (white bottle, red label) from Sabeco - tonight bliss!  Not only I didn't get bitten - I never even saw a single 'Mosca Negre'!  It works better than I could ever hope.

Also, as nobrot says, the 'After Bite' pen is excellent - the wasps are somewhat stealthy - they build nests in any small space they can find - and guard them well!  They are so quick you have little chance of avoiding them.  From painful experience, After Bite' certainly soothes the sting very quickly.

Nigel

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top