Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
broadband + skype (Read 4252 times)
brennie
Ex Member

broadband + skype
Jan 20th, 2007 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
please tell me a bit about internet broadband, also skype, in and around tortosa.

IP Logged

roswell
Ex Member

Re: broadband + skype
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2007 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Quote:
please tell me a bit about internet broadband, also skype, in and around tortosa.

I have a home phone line, Telefonica came round and set up BBand connection and the wireless router, it has been reliable, only  256k, so, not outright as fast as most of the UK, but still fine for Skype, Youtube videos and unlike horrible Tiscali, in the UK, no bandwith limits [ or havent met them yet...] despite a fair bit of fliesharing. I would not pay a euro more for a faster 512kb connection, even if I was offered it. They did mention it getting upgraded sometime but I dont really care despite being a fairly heavy user.

Skype is possibly the best developed bit of software out there, I cannot remember seeing something that is quite so easy to use. Call quality can vary, but when it is good, it is way better than a normal phonecall. If you do really get stuck, PM me and I will happily show you your way round it....

IP Logged

brennie
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2007 at 11:17pm
Print Post  

thank you roswell for such a prompt reply

IP Logged

chefman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2007 at 1:15am
Print Post  
your better off to get satallite internet and use a phone through that i have usb tesco  phone,£15 including £5 of calls, you get to choose a number with a dialing code from where your from in the uk, and people can ring you so long your laptop is on, top up online, call mobiles 10p a min land lines 1p a min worldwide. if you need any more info email me...regards

IP Logged

JamesA
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2007 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Which company are you using for you satellite broadband? I'm looking at Avonline, but a bit pricey, £124 per month (as I need decent bandwidth for work).

IP Logged

chefman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
www.iberbanda.es...office is based in madrid, go online and go into contacts fill in the form and they will contact you. a local man comes and fits it, it takes 1 to 2 hours to fit, but you need to have a view of mount caro.down the bottom end of town towards the millen bridge where the road branches off by the carpark where they had the circo, next door to thecar hire, is an electrical shop, selling playststions etc, he is the man who fitted.you might be better off to go to him so he fills the forms online as the iberbanda website is in spanish, the english translation is under construction.75 euro to set up and 39 euro a month for the internet access. i believe iberbanda are part of telefonica.....regards

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Quote:
but you need to have a view of mount caro

..and if you don't (and you can't see one of their other repeaters) then you can't get broadband from Iberbanda (Avianet)..

but read this.. http://www.tortosaforum.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1180732153 to find out how you probably can get broadband speeds..

Nigel

IP Logged

leo
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Quote:
i believe iberbanda are part of telefonica.....

Not so - they're independent, and were awarded a contract by the gencat to install telecoms in unreachable places.

In much the same way as the cable tv companies in the UK fulfilled their percentage by installing in densely populated areas, Iberbanda installed in villages that already had telephones (this information from the engineer who couldn't get a signal at our gaff). Obviously the gencat aren't too happy about this (they've already kicked out some of the other companies) and I have been assured by a local mayor that things will change soon. That was two years ago. This is Spain.

IP Logged

leo
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Just for the record, unless things have changed recently, Iberbanda do not install satellite (although they said they would in areas with no line of sight link) they use a system which is basically pumped up wifi - a digital radio link that uses line of sight only links. I think it comes into the same telecoms licencing category as those personal walkietalkies. It doesn't go through, over or around mountains.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top