Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hornets (Read 2488 times)
Scotty
Ex Member

Hornets
May 20th, 2007 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Hi All,
We have an area just outside our house that seems to be the centre of attention for a group of hornets. Assume they are hornets - big black and yellow! Cannot see a nest - they arrive in the morning and just keep hovering around. Anyone got any ideas as to what they are, whether they are dangerous and how to persuade them to move elsewhere.
Grateful for any advice.
Scotty

IP Logged

roswell
Ex Member

Re: Hornets
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2007 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
They look big and bad, but I have never heard of anybody being stung by one.

There seem to be 2 types of wasps here, the normal agressive bastardos and a skinnier longer legged version that is far less agressive ?

IP Logged

nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2007 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
The paper wasp builds its nest in gutters,under ledges etc.The nest is brown,round in shape and about the size of a golf/tennis ball.They aren't generally agressive but do take exception to Hawaiian shirts.

IP Logged

Scotty
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 24th, 2007 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Thanks folks,
I dont think these are your common wasp. They are over an inch long and completely black apart from two yellow rings around their body. They are not aggressive, I have approached them quite closely and am still alive to tell the tale! Would still prefer to move them on. Have sprayed the ground with bleach, filled what holes I can see with sand and they still keep coming back. Just hovering around an area about 6 square metres, landing occassionally and flying around again.

IP Logged

Huw
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2007 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
The long legged variety, a sort of hornet, are definitely to be slippered on sight.  They don't sting???  You are kidding, sorry to burst the bubble but they do and they are nasty.  As to the nests nobrot has it right there.

What they all love is the water so if you have a pool nearby or you water plants around there then that is why they keep coming back.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top