Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Advice wanted re: Leishmania & dogs (Read 4062 times)
sharoglee
Ex Member

Advice wanted re: Leishmania & dogs
Nov 8th, 2007 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Hola, we are Roger & Sharon Lee and have rented a finca in Alforja for 6 months while we hunt for a property.  We've been looking in the Baix Ebre but have come across some very disturbing information about dogs getting leishmania after being bitten by a fly.  Does anyone have any further information about how prolific this disease is in Baix Ebre, and is it confined to this area as we have been lead to believe?  Having read up on the disease and its treatment we are not prepared to put our dogs at risk, but were really keen to live in this area.  Hope there is someone out there who can help.

IP Logged

terryandsandra
Ex Member

Re: Advice wanted Leishmania & dogs
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2007 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Hi.
LEISHMANIASIS, is a big problem in Spain, they say stay away from rivers and the Delta but dogs are catching it in towns well away from rivers, the problem is the amount of stray dogs in Spain and Catalonia, many of whom carry the disease.
Never let your dog sleep out at night, there is no cure and no vaccination although there are treatments once caught, if mild they can live for many years.
SCALIBOR Collars are the only preventative, they stop the sandfly from biting but even then no guarantee.
For more information see www.leishmaniasis.info.
                                      Terry.
                            Sant Salvador Kennels.

IP Logged

viking
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 9:37am
Print Post  
Just a thought but being a mammal ,also, I was wondering whether I am also at risk of catching this disease?

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Cats and humans are supposed to be safe.  Don't rely on the Scalibor collar.  We put one on our dog but she still caught Leishmania.  Luckly, we have her on a programme at our vet's which includes  testing for the disease, and it was picked up earlier this year whihc means that we were able to start treating straightaway.  She had to have two injections a day for the first month as well as two tablets.  Subsequent bood tests have shown that these have protected her organs and skin from being affected .  Unfortunately, she will have to stay on one tablet a day for the rest of her life, but these are not expensive, and even if they weren't it is a small price to pay for such a faithful friend

IP Logged

HazeandAlan
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Thanks for bringing this to my attention
I am moving to Tortosa in March next year and wasn't aware of the collar that is available. I have now ordered some
from my vet. Although it is not a definite preventitive measure it has to be worth a chance - I will still keep Popcorn in
from dusk til dawn - I believe the collars also have some degree of tick prevention also,
Haze

IP Logged

terryandsandra
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
HUMANS ARE NOT SAFE. there is a human form, but apparently they respond well to treatment.
Cats are safe.
                                         Terry.

IP Logged

terryandsandra
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Scalibor Collars not cheap but they will last the entire sandfly season, you would'nt believe the amount of people who buy the cheap collars and think there dog is protected, total waste of money,and yes they protect against flees and ticks.
                                  Terry.

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
No, Scalibor collars are not cheap, but for all the protection that they gave my dog I might just as well have bought a cheap one.  And it wasn't the case (before it is suggested) that the collar was out of date.  She was having them replaced on a more regular basis than the maker's suggest.  Still, now that she has Leishmania a cheaper one will suffice, and the difference can go towards the cost of the pills she has to have.

IP Logged

terryandsandra
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Tony I never suggested that the Scalibor collar was foolproof, read makers information, you were unlucky, as I said, it was'nt guarenteed but it will help in a good percentage of cases.
If the collar is used from day one there is a good chance the dog will be safe,
its the only chance we have in protecting our animals untill something better comes along.
                                     Terry.

IP Logged

sharoglee
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
thanks for the replies, it does not seem to bode well for dogs residing in Baix Ebre...we are now casting our net further in the hope of avoiding infected areas...Roger & Sharon.

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Sharon, I asked a friend of ours in the village (Mas de Barberans - Montsia) about this problem and she hadn't heard of it.  She has 2 very much loved house dogs and her husband has a few very well looked after hunting dogs that sleep outside.  They have them inoculated against heart worm, the vet comes out to them between April & Nov.  Maybe it would be worth talking to a local vet to get an accurate picture.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top