Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
For anyone driving with a non-Spanish licence (Read 5487 times)
AgentX
Ex Member

For anyone driving with a non-Spanish licence
Dec 4th, 2007 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Hi all

taken from www.kyero.com's news section:

http://news.kyero.com/2007/11/28/ignorance-is-no-excuse

Seems that periodically updated medical certificates are needed if you are driving on a non-Spanish licence for any length of time.

See also http://www.spainvia.com/drivelicenceletteradsl.htm

No idea if this issue is as serious as this news item suggests (I have a Spanish licence myself so haven't looked into it).

Anyone driving into Barcelona should be aware that many speed limits within the municipal area have just been lowered to 80km/h.

This measure will be accompanied by lowered limits elsewhere in Catalonia and heavier penalties for speeding (including prison).

Take it easy out there!

AgentX, in alarmist mode

IP Logged

roswell
Ex Member

Re: For anyone driving with a non-Spanish licence
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Quote:
Hi all

taken from www.kyero.com's news section:

http://news.kyero.com/2007/11/28/ignorance-is-no-excuse

Seems that periodically updated medical certificates are needed if you are driving on a non-Spanish licence for any length of time.

See also http://www.spainvia.com/drivelicenceletteradsl.htm

No idea if this issue is as serious as this news item suggests (I have a Spanish licence myself so haven't looked into it).

Anyone driving into Barcelona should be aware that many speed limits within the municipal area have just been lowered to 80km/h.

This measure will be accompanied by lowered limits elsewhere in Catalonia and heavier penalties for speeding (including prison).

Take it easy out there!

AgentX, in alarmist mode

Just goes to show how handy it is being a tourist not a resident, part 562347 .........

Where did you spot the "Prison for speeding" story ? Does this apply to UK licence holders ? Does it just apply to Catalonia ?

IP Logged

William of Orange
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Well taking this fact seriously on board,I have a nearly new car and I cant afford not to be covered on my insurance..... then we need a up to date medical certificate as well as our UK licence,  this is what I think it involves. I may be wrong. Undecided

My 16 yr old son took his moped test over here which involved exams and a medical, no riding !  The medical was undertook at a specific test location in Amposta for driving licence purposes the address provided by the motoring school. The majority of the test involved, eyesight and simple co ordination tests  and reaction time tests using a simple computer.  They may have been some other very basic medical inspections but the eye test and reaction times and cordination tests seem sensible and relevent. for motoring driving issues.  I think the medical is valid for five years again guessing ?

It cost 30 euros and was required b4 they issued his licence.

So Ive been here just over a year and my wife and I are putting this  at the top of our to do list. My lad didn,t have an appointment for his test, he just turned up at the test center and waited his turn he wasnt long.Ill update this when he gets out of bed.

IP Logged

AgentX
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2007 at 9:05am
Print Post  
Hello again

William of Orange has the right idea re: the type of medical required.

You have a medical, do some coordination tests etc, and get a 'certificado médico para conductores' (they also issue them for 'cazadores' - hunters).

If you go to http://www.paginasamarillas.es/ and search for 'certificados médicos' in Tortosa or wherever, you will get addresses and telephone numbers of the centres that issue these certificates.

- - -

The new 80km/h limit around Barcelona and increased penalties for speeding issue has appeared in Catalan/Spanish press and on TV.

Summary in English of 80km/limit:

http://w3.bcn.es/V01/Serveis/Noticies/V01NoticiesLlistatNoticiesCtl/0,2138,1653_...

Can't find a link for the prison-for-speeding-drivers story in English, here's one in Spanish:

http://www.transport.cat/viewtopic.php?t=6655&sid=f93d6488fe3c74ab5ba9367e8adbc2...

This law is about to come into force, and will affect the whole of Spain.

To get sent to prison you would have to be driving at:

- 200km/h on the motorway (legal limit is 120km/h)
- 180km/h on other roads (legal limit is 100km/h)
- 110km/h in urban areas (legal limit varies between 30 and 50km/h

Anyone found driving with over 1.2g blood alcohol can also be sent to prison

Obviously the limits above correspond to some pretty anti-social behaviour, but even under the existing laws, if a Spanish driver is caught driving at say 150km/h on the motorway, he/she will lose points and can be banned from driving temporarily or permanently. Not sure what would happen with a non-Spanish licence holder.

More radar traps have been installed, and apparently there is to be a lot more drink-driving control in the run-up to Christmas.

Hope this helps.

AgentX

IP Logged

roswell
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 8th, 2007 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Quote:
This law is about to come into force, and will affect the whole of Spain.

To get sent to prison you would have to be driving at:

- 200km/h on the motorway (legal limit is 120km/h)
- 180km/h on other roads (legal limit is 100km/h)
- 110km/h in urban areas (legal limit varies between 30 and 50km/h

Anyone found driving with over 1.2g blood alcohol can also be sent to prison

Obviously the limits above correspond to some pretty anti-social behaviour, but even under the existing laws, if a Spanish driver is caught driving at say 150km/h on the motorway, he/she will lose points and can be banned from driving temporarily or permanently. Not sure what would happen with a non-Spanish licence holder.

More radar traps have been installed, and apparently there is to be a lot more drink-driving control in the run-up to Christmas.

Hope this helps.

AgentX

Thanks for the information, time for a very muddy numberplate and blinkers next time I go out being extremely anti-social.  Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Roger
Ex Member

For anyone driving with a non-Spanish licence
Reply #5 - Apr 8th, 2008 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Well taking this fact seriously on board,I have a nearly new car and I cant afford not to be covered on my insurance..... then we need a up to date medical certificate as well as our UK licence,  this is what I think it involves. I may be wrong. Undecided

My 16 yr old son took his moped test over here which involved exams and a medical, no riding !  The medical was undertook at a specific test location in Amposta for driving licence purposes the address provided by the motoring school. The majority of the test involved, eyesight and simple co ordination tests  and reaction time tests using a simple computer.  They may have been some other very basic medical inspections but the eye test and reaction times and cordination tests seem sensible and relevent. for motoring driving issues.  I think the medical is valid for five years again guessing ?

It cost 30 euros and was required b4 they issued his licence.

So Ive been here just over a year and my wife and I are putting this  at the top of our to do list. My lad didn,t have an appointment for his test, he just turned up at the test center and waited his turn he wasnt long.Ill update this when he gets out of bed.

William, you posted this on 5 Dec 2007, i was interested in your news, but its now over 4 months. Any chance of getting your son out of bed in the near future... Undecided

IP Logged

Nobrot the Great
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 8th, 2008 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Bl**dy hell Roger.....the words 'pot','kettle' and 'black' spring to mind........

Moines a point sore

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top