Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Els Ports Park. (Read 3295 times)
fatphil
Ex Member

Els Ports Park.
Dec 9th, 2007 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Can anyone advise good starting point for walk, in Els Ports Park.
Last year we drove to near to Mt.Caro, but had to turn back as snow was falling heavily and made the road impassable !
Perhaps it is better to approach from the north via Horta Sant Joan, or does the snow get deeper the further in land you go ?

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Re: Els Ports Park.
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2007 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
HI - What sort of length of walk are you looking for ?

The GR7 can be picked up at Tosca for walking towards Caro, you could also try parking at Font Nova and attempting the walk up the Mola de Alfara.

You could also park at the Hunting Lodge at Barranc de Caramella and walk to the pools and waterfalls and beyond.

There are a selection of books with walks around the park available at the El Cid book store in Ferreries.

Hope this helps.

IP Logged

fatphil
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2007 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Hello Tony,
Thank you for info.
The waterfalls look nice place to visit, I assume they will also be full this time of year.
Is it possible to park within a few kilometres of them ?
I think I nead to buy a better map, as cannot see Tosca, on the 1:50 000 Baix Ebre Mapa comarcal de Catalunya !

IP Logged

viking
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2007 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Hi Phil, I'm sure you can't really be so fat with all that walking! We live in Terra Alta and have done alot of exploring of thr Ports from this end , either by off road cycling, walking or 4 by 4. There are some great walks around here. For starters you can walk from Gandesa up to Puig Cavaller, it is only 3 hours there and back and the view from the top is great. There are also some great walks from the Horta side. You can drive into the Ports from there and pick up a number of great walks from the picnic area by the river, this includes walks up to the impressive rocks d'en Benet, Picasos cave etc. Also, have you tried the walk from Fontcalda following the river Canallettes? Best of luck! PS. I can't wait for some snow!!!

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 9:16am
Print Post  
HI Phil

Parking is quite easy for the waterfalls - to get to the Barranc de Caramella just take the Mont Caro road and just after the dry canal take the first road on the left.  You will eventually come to a t-junction with a rabbit farm opposite, take the left and then follow to the right around the farm.  The road now gets pretty bumpy and narrow but keep on , over the cattle grid and down to the parking area at the hunting lodge.  It is just a short walk from here along the barranc or taking the path on the right to the pools and falls where you can follow the path alongside them.  How far it goes I don't know as at one point I needed to carry the dog as she does not like getting near water and it appeared necessary to go through the water to follow the path so I didn't go any further.  In fact the next time I was there I found the path went around the water on the left, but was well hidden in the undergrowth and I was short of time to follow it.   I just find that during the summer, rather than this time of the year it is a nice walk to do as I can swim in the pools on the way, plus the fact that the scenery is stunning.

Tosca is a delightful spot where the waters come pouring down out of the mountainside (you will see Tosca water on sale in the shops).  To get to Tosca just follow the Alfara de Carles road from Roquetes and the turn is on the left about 3k before Alfara.  There is some delightfuly scenery here as well, with the remains of hermitages dotted around.

Good walking !!

IP Logged

fatphil
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Hello,
Thank you Tony and Viking for detailed directions, I hope to try several of your suggestions shortly.  Cool

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Hi, I have sent you a PM.
Tony

IP Logged

fatphil
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Hello Tony,
Thank you for your very English offer, but we are unfortuantly not yet locals !  Sad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top