Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Composting Toilets (Read 2949 times)
Hen_Fox
Ex Member

Composting Toilets
Mar 2nd, 2008 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
THi,
At the moment we are deep into the theory of composting toilets! Does anyone have one, either self-built or ready made? Most seem to require sawdust, peat or chopped straw (I saw the message about straw availability) but wonder about availability and cost of the other two in Spain.
There is masses of info on the internet about composting toilets and they seem a good idea when water and drainage are at a premium. Fox thinks I am becoming obsessive but anything which can save 17,000 gallons of water a year has to be given serious consideration.
Hen
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2008 at 8:57pm by Nigel »  

IP Logged

William of Orange
Ex Member

Re: Composting roilets
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Wow saving 17.000 gallons of water a year , with a little maths and assuming a modern toliet at 6 litres per flush that works out at 35 flushes per day, which if thats the case,  Grin   thats alot of hay a shed load of peat and a tractor trailer full of sawdust However you should had very fertile land within six months. (Id start a mushroom farm if I was you) Wink

IP Logged

bill and bob
Ex Member

Re: Composting roilets
Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
THINK ABOUT THIS ONE............it gets very hot here, and most people have trouble with flies as it is.
were you thinking of an outhouse. lol..... or interior. i would like to see your garden and the size of your veg in august. dare i say it good luck

IP Logged

Hen_Fox
Ex Member

Re: Composting Toilets
Reply #3 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Hi,
OK maybe  saving 17,000 gallons is a little optimistic however people in hot climates do seem to have them working successfully, without terrible odours and slurry everywhere.  The key seems to be seperating the urine from the solids  and having a solar powered  fan in an air-vent pipe. Perhaps this is a little too  much info for some people so I will just say we ( I?) are not put off yet by the idea and will carry on with the research here in snowy Derbyshire, England.
Hen
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2008 at 8:56pm by Nigel »  

IP Logged

William of Orange
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Hen, composting toilets do work, can be vented with a back proof damper and flies shouldn't be any more of an issues that us non composters. Good Luck with the research. WinkWoO

IP Logged

Chris
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Hi Hen,  just put composting toilets in google, and you will get loads of info.  some seem to be a type you fill, and then move the loo shed to a different hole, others are a self contained unit that you take a bag out of ( every 2 months or so) and bury on your land.

IP Logged

Hen_Fox
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Thanks,
Yes from what I have been reading on the internet we should be able to either buy or built a composting loo which will be both efficient and fragrant!
There are several booka available on the subject and my request form is at the local library as we speak.
Regards,
Hen

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top