Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Weather (Read 6941 times)
Tony
Ex Member

Weather
May 27th, 2008 at 11:01am
Print Post  
Just how long is this awful weather going to continue ?  The latest forecast seems to show rain right through to next Tuesday, apart from a break on Thursday.  Has anyone heard when it is predicted to end ?
Another forum I read gave the information this morning that this is the wettest May since 1977 and that some of the upstream rivers are on red flood alert .

IP Logged

Roger
Ex Member

Re: Weather
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2008 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Dont worry Tony it lasted about 3 weeks last April. Wait until the ebro rises upto the second layer of bricks (from the top) on the banks in downtown Tortosa, then you can start to feel depressed. Anyhow just think of the lovely ecosystem being replenished in the delta. Undecided

IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 27th, 2008 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Just how long is this awful weather going to continue ?  The latest forecast seems to show rain right through to next Tuesday, apart from a break on Thursday.  Has anyone heard when it is predicted to end ?
Another forum I read gave the information this morning that this is the wettest May since 1977 and that some of the upstream rivers are on red flood alert .

thats like asking HOW LONG IS A PIECE OF STRING Grin dont knock the rain we need it .we will all be up in arms if the water runs out and have no water to drink or shower/swim in the pool ect Cool

IP Logged

authorannie
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 27th, 2008 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
It may be replenishing the ecosystem, but it's not doing much for our garden!  We're about a metre deep in disgusting water on the lower part, have had to clear the ground floor just in case it rises further, so spare a thought for us by the river!  The rain's bad enough, but the flood's even worse!

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 27th, 2008 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
I am well aware that we need the rain, and the problems that Barcelona is going through, but we also need to think about those people further upstream who are having to brick up their doors against the rising waters.  Mora already has some flooded streets and the square at Miravet is under water. 
Remember also back in 1996 when the flash floods wiped out a campsite killing over 80 people.  So, although we need the rain it would be nice to see a break in these leaden skies occasionally.
Finally, there are people like myself, who unfortunately suffer from SAD (one of the reasons for moving here from England) when eventually the chemical inbalance due to the lack of sunlight makes the depression almost intolerable.  Still I suppose that I shall just have to up the medication and possibly invest in a light box.

IP Logged

William of Orange
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 27th, 2008 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
I recall that last year April and early May was alot wetter also. Everbody has different requirements of the weather but one must look at each owns particular requirements and issues and prepare for more extreme weather periods as it appears to be the norm rather than an exception !

IP Logged

Roger
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 27th, 2008 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Quote:
It may be replenishing the ecosystem, but it's not doing much for our garden!  We're about a metre deep in disgusting water on the lower part, have had to clear the ground floor just in case it rises further, so spare a thought for us by the river!  The rain's bad enough, but the flood's even worse!

Maybe thats why the ayuntimento dont like people building near the river.
Grabs coat and runs out of door.
Mr. Moderator, when you get off your exercise bike, above is a patially tongue in cheek observation of life in Tortosa and environs.

IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 27th, 2008 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
well you two moderators  Smileybest you get on your knees and pray for some sunshine then Coolbecause theres not a thing anyone can do about the weather not even you  Grin

IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Reply #8 - May 27th, 2008 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Quote:
It may be replenishing the ecosystem, but it's not doing much for our garden!  We're about a metre deep in disgusting water on the lower part, have had to clear the ground floor just in case it rises further, so spare a thought for us by the river!  The rain's bad enough, but the flood's even worse!

annie we have a plot of land by the river but we wouldnt live by it we only have it for fishing Cool
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2008 at 8:41am by »  

IP Logged

Nobrot the Great
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 28th, 2008 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Why all the moaning...?is it something to do with the weather and the fact that we're British.?
300 days of sunshine it tells us in the brochures and on the website and my bank manager/personnal meteorologist tells me we've got this for another week. I'm seriously thinking of sueing Catalunya under the Trades discription act.

IP Logged

William of Orange
Ex Member

Reply #10 - May 28th, 2008 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
I live on the top of a hill and get to watch all the water running away from my land into the valley below. Which is great for not flooding but my soil is crap, guess you cant have everything ! I guess  those people near the river have lovely soil ? My soil . You pays your money and takes your chances.

If you live near one of the biggest rivers in Northern Europe guess it gotta rain sometime. Not on demand not just during the night and not just enough to keep SAD at bay. Theres always Ryan Air and the UK . I moved from Hull in 2006 Just B4 the floods, buy my old house wasnt built on a flood plain like many are, Still its sunny today. Give it a month and some one will be moaning its too hot and the sunshine is giving them a Migrain  Sad

Actually the real reason for this weather is as follows.
About 3 weeks ago her indoors demanded with the fine weather coming I got my big fat ar?e up and off the internet and outside to get some renovations done. Two days later with an ebook from ebay on DIY Rain Dances , from Him  Da Big Chief Running Bear  (100% +ve Feedback) great guy smokes a pipe , and Bingo.......still on Tinternet Grin

PS Ebay item no 234562321 Ebook 99p free delivery Always Look On The Bright Side of Life!...  AKA The Complete CUFFS Manual  from GOG 82.5% feedback

IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Reply #11 - May 28th, 2008 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
nobrot  t,g and w.o.o. Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley i like you two you are so funny  Cool

IP Logged

munkonminor

Weather
Reply #12 - May 28th, 2008 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
I have been keeping records of weather since 2003 and can confirm that this is the wettest May since then in the Tortosa area. Currently recording approx 224 l/m2 this month, the highest in the preceding five years was 84 l/m2 in 2004. April last year was approx 140 l/m2 against approx 25 l/m2 this year.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top