Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
ceiling insulation (Read 3344 times)
briand6868

Here, wishing I was there

ceiling insulation
Jun 2nd, 2009 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Hello All,
           Looking forward to the Summer break in the "coll" and my main job on my list is to install a new ceiling in the casa.Does anyone know the best place to buy insulation for between the new ceiling and the existing roof.I intend to fix batons to the vigas and fix t & g paneling onto these but need to insulate the space between. Cool
                                                                 Ta,
                                                                     briand

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Re: ceiling insulation
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2009 at 8:14am
Print Post  
There are two types of polystyrene insulation one is the shape of a revolton which fits between the vegas but usually only used on new constructions, the spacing needs to be right,

If its an old roof vega spacing can vary !! then sheets of polystyrene are available at Mayors the builders merchants it comes in 2m x 1m x 50mm sheets and in two grades rigid and semi flexible.

Its called Porexpan and 10 sheets will set you back about 42 € it is easy to cut with a stanley knife or a saw with a thin blade, makes a lot of mess though!!

If you really want good insulation double up to 100mm but its costly!! worth it in the long run though if you want to stay cool man!! Embarrassed Embarrassed

ps the battens out here are metal instead of wood and they are fixed to the vegas with clips, threaded bar and rawlbolts the metal studding is called Maestra Knauf and comes in 3m lengths 45mm x 18mm

ps make sure you bring plenty of masonry drill bits as the vegas are a pig to drill into very tough !! Embarrassed
and if you can,  try to find a peice of vega outside the casa wall with its end exposed, to let you know where the reinforcing rods are!! you can't drill through them!!

Hope this helps stuart

Regards Stuart

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2009 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
I've got quite a big gap between my vegas and the suspended ceiling tiles.  Anyone know if there are any "blown" insulation systems available here ?
Tks,
Bigyin

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

briand6868

Here, wishing I was there

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2009 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Hi Stuart,
            Thanks for the advice.I have 2 ceilings to do about 28 sq meters total- can you tell me where Mayors is, I'm sure I've passed it but can't place it.
                               Thanks,
                                          Brian

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 5th, 2009 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Hi Briand

Its on the main road out of Tortosa heading towards L'Aldea!

From the millenium bridge go straight over the first roundabout with the pond and a statue of a bloke drowning his wife,  straight over the second roundabout with the wood reclamation yard , you will pass La Senia Garden Centre on your right and up to the third roundabout, turn right at this one and Mayors yard is straight ahead

And no I don't have shares in Mayors, but they are very helpfull!! Unlike Gisberts

IP Logged

Ebrovoice
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2009 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Quote:
There are two types of polystyrene insulation one is the shape of a revolton which fits between the vegas but usually only used on new constructions, the spacing needs to be right,

If its an old roof vega spacing can vary !! then sheets of polystyrene are available at Mayors the builders merchants it comes in 2m x 1m x 50mm sheets and in two grades rigid and semi flexible.

Its called Porexpan and 10 sheets will set you back about 42 € it is easy to cut with a stanley knife or a saw with a thin blade, makes a lot of mess though!!

If you really want good insulation double up to 100mm but its costly!! worth it in the long run though if you want to stay cool man!! Embarrassed Embarrassed

ps the battens out here are metal instead of wood and they are fixed to the vegas with clips, threaded bar and rawlbolts the metal studding is called Maestra Knauf and comes in 3m lengths 45mm x 18mm

ps make sure you bring plenty of masonry drill bits as the vegas are a pig to drill into very tough !! Embarrassed
and if you can,  try to find a peice of vega outside the casa wall with its end exposed, to let you know where the reinforcing rods are!! you can't drill through them!!

Hope this helps stuart

Regards Stuart

"Pavimentos" next to Gisbert and CLibegas, sell the sheeting in two thickness. If I recall it was cheaper than Mayor

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top