Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 25 European Health Card.    EHIC (Read 18234 times)
Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

European Health Card.    EHIC
Jan 19th, 2010 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Having been issued with the European Health card, in Tortosa,  last year, we were told that it would only be valid until end of February 2010.
We were told that after that date we would have to apply to the U.K. and not Spain, for new ones.   New rules and Regulations!
We have looked on the web site to try and find information regarding this but can't.
This morning we phoned U.K. (00441912127500), a Government office,  and spoke to someone there.  They told us that nothing has been finalised yet with E.U, so we need to go back to Tortosa office at the end of February to be issued with TEMPORARY cards, maybe for 2 months?
Hope this helps anyone who needs info.

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Re: European Health Card.    EHIC
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
I have a spare Monopoly  Community Chest Card which says I can get free medical care collect  500 quid do you think they will accept it at the hospitals?

IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2010 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Ritaratbag wrote on Jan 19th, 2010 at 4:19pm:
Having been issued with the European Health card, in Tortosa,  last year, we were told that it would only be valid until end of February 2010.
We were told that after that date we would have to apply to the U.K. and not Spain, for new ones.   New rules and Regulations!
We have looked on the web site to try and find information regarding this but can't.
This morning we phoned U.K. (00441912127500), a Government office,  and spoke to someone there.  They told us that nothing has been finalised yet with E.U, so we need to go back to Tortosa office at the end of February to be issued with TEMPORARY cards, maybe for 2 months?

if you live in spain then that card is no good .my son as to have private health insurace with sanitas costs him 40.27e  pr month he had a card like yours had to go to the hostpital 3 years ago showed them the card they said it was no good if he lived in spain only if he was on holiday so he was sent the bill for the hostpital visit .after that he got private insurance we were told that is what you should be unless you are retired and getting a pension then thats different matter

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2010 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
As a resident here in Spain, I used to pay to Catsalut, which cost around 87 euros a month, but now I am a pensioner I get free health care here.
I was issued with the European Health card, (E.H.I.C.) , in Tortosa,  in case I need any health care,  if, or while,  travelling outside Spain.

IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2010 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Ritaratbag wrote on Jan 20th, 2010 at 3:39pm:
As a resident here in Spain, I used to pay to Catsalut, which cost around 87 euros a month, but now I am a pensioner I get free health care here.
I was issued with the European Health card, (E.H.I.C.) , in Tortosa,  in case I need any health care,  if, or while,  travelling outside Spain.

i see then if you are a resident in spain then surely you should get it again from tortosa ?(i dont know as i have never had one)and i am sorry i got it wronge regards nen

IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
hi rita we have recived today a letter from the pension service with a form saying from MAY 1ST 2010 they (the uk) be responsible for the issue of the EHIC instead of the state were we are liveing.we have never had an EHIC but they have sent us a form each to fill in so we are going to send it off for one .hope this helps regards nen

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
There seems to be some confusion about which cards apply to which circumstances.  As I understand it, the E111 was replaced by the EH1C.  This was issued by the UK and was to cover emergencies whilst travelling abroad.  It provides reduced cost and possibly free treatment including that for pre-existing conditions.  It does not cover travelling abroad for specific treatment or for repatriation.  It is valid for five years and can be applied for or renewed on line.  THis is obviously appropriate for holiday makers and probably is adequate for people with property in Spain but who do not live here full time.
For those who live here full time, there are two appropriate documents depending on age.  For those under 65 (i.e. not in receipt of a UK state pension), the document is the E106 which provides the same benefits as those enjoyed by Spanish residents.  It is however only valid for two and a half years and if that expires before you retire, you're on your own for the remaining time.
If you are in receipt of a pension the the E121 comes into play and again gives you entitlement to the same treatment as the Spanish.
Applying for it is no mean feat.  I went through the rigrmarole after obtaining my green Certificate of Residency.  I eventually got a letter from Tarragona which seemed to translate (via Google) that I merely had to take it to my local health centre to be issued with a Tarjeta Sanitaria Individual (TSI).  Apprently not so.  The local health centre told me that the letter merely confirmed that I was now registered with the Spainish (or Catalan) Social Security system and that I would have to apply for the card with all the usual bumph (NIE/passport, letter, Padron (flippin pain as they only last three months)) etc. etc.  That's where I'm at at the moment.  This is only my own understanding and I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Bigyin wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 4:41pm:
There seems to be some confusion about which cards apply to which circumstances.  As I understand it, the E111 was replaced by the EH1C.  This was issued by the UK and was to cover emergencies whilst travelling abroad.  It provides reduced cost and possibly free treatment including that for pre-existing conditions.  It does not cover travelling abroad for specific treatment or for repatriation.  It is valid for five years and can be applied for or renewed on line.  THis is obviously appropriate for holiday makers and probably is adequate for people with property in Spain but who do not live here full time.
For those who live here full time, there are two appropriate documents depending on age.  For those under 65 (i.e. not in receipt of a UK state pension), the document is the E106 which provides the same benefits as those enjoyed by Spanish residents.  It is however only valid for two and a half years and if that expires before you retire, you're on your own for the remaining time.
If you are in receipt of a pension the the E121 comes into play and again gives you entitlement to the same treatment as the Spanish.
Applying for it is no mean feat.  I went through the rigrmarole after obtaining my green Certificate of Residency.  I eventually got a letter from Tarragona which seemed to translate (via Google) that I merely had to take it to my local health centre to be issued with a Tarjeta Sanitaria Individual (TSI).  Apprently not so.  The local health centre told me that the letter merely confirmed that I was now registered with the Spainish (or Catalan) Social Security system and that I would have to apply for the card with all the usual bumph (NIE/passport, letter, Padron (flippin pain as they only last three months)) etc. etc.  That's where I'm at at the moment.  This is only my own understanding and I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong.
hi bigyin Smileywe are resident in spain and the people who sent us the forms know that.we didnt ask for the forms but they were sent to us by  them lol.ok we have filled the forms in will send them back and see what happends will keep you posted thay say they send them out in march /april  Undecidedalso if you are getting your pension then you get your health free we have our cards (no problem getting them )lets see what happens we were not going to bother getting a EHIC but if we can have a card then why not  Smiley

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #8 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
I wasn't suggesting that you were confused just that confusion in general seems to abound.  I'm still not certain about who is issuing replacement EH1C's but I think you need one if you're resident here to cover visits to UK.  Crazy if you ask me (although you didn't  Grin.
If you're saying that you have your TSI and had no probs getting it, I'd be interested to hear how you went about it.
Cheers,
Bigyin

IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
ok we had letters sent to us from the uk telling us to take the letter to tortosa (we had to go over the other side off the bridge the side sabeco is on
)there is a hostpital just over the bridge by the trafic lights and on the corner just before the hostpital is the building we went to.we had to take the letters from the uk together with lots of forms one was DATOS DEL TITULAR DE LA PENSION (date pension payed from)

form e 121 tarjeta de residencia (nie)

certificado expedido por el ayuntamiento (form from your town hall were u live)

we were then given a tempory paper to be covered untill the card arived ,this was 4 years ago

i have an address on the CATSALUT  letter  its .....institut catala de la salut,subdivisio d atencio primaria,costa de ponent,tarragona i tortosa,DAP tortosa

IP Logged

santsalvador
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
HI. My wife received a letter this morning 2nd Feb from the pensions office in Newcastle saying that from the 1st May the UK will issue EHIC cards instead of the member state which you live also enclosing an application form.
Cards will be issued in April 2010 to be used from May 2010.
                      Terry.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #11 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Hi Peeps,
I got my letter and application form today.  I was confused as I applied for the EH1C that I already have after moving here and was under the impression that it was meant to cover me for emergencies etc prior to obtaing my TSI.
I've just phoned Newcastle for clarification and it seems that I should not have been issued with the one I have from UK (what's that all about then ?).
Anyway, although I reside here, it seems the new EH1C will cover me for trips to other EU countries e.g. Italy or indeed UK itself.
Good 'ere 'innit ?

IP Logged

Huw
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 9:28am
Print Post  
I run an international project here in Institut Roquetes and we take the students abroad twice a year.  I was surprised to discover on the last trip that the EU health card the students were issued with only had a life of two months.  It would appear that this is now the norm for these cards, though God knows why, and is not something cooked up just for EU residents.

The next time I go for one, my yearly one just ran out, I will ask for reasons and so on and post them here.

IP Logged

Huw
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Quote:
Ritaratbag wrote on Jan 19th, 2010 at 4:19pm:
Having been issued with the European Health card, in Tortosa,  last year, we were told that it would only be valid until end of February 2010.
We were told that after that date we would have to apply to the U.K. and not Spain, for new ones.   New rules and Regulations!
This morning we phoned U.K. (00441912127500), a Government office,  and spoke to someone there.  They told us that nothing has been finalised yet with E.U, so we need to go back to Tortosa office at the end of February to be issued with TEMPORARY cards, maybe for 2 months?

if you live in spain then that card is no good .my son as to have private health insurace with sanitas costs him 40.27e  pr month he had a card like yours had to go to the hostpital 3 years ago showed them the card they said it was no good if he lived in spain only if he was on holiday so he was sent the bill for the hostpital visit .after that he got private insurance we were told that is what you should be unless you are retired and getting a pension then thats different matter

If you LIVE in Spain then surely you have spanish residency and access to a normal SS card right?

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #14 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Hi Huw,
As you can see, I haven't visited this thread for a year and had forgotten all about it.  To be honest, I haven't a clue what the current situation is.  I think it's time I got in touch with Newcastle again to see what they have to say.
By the way, because you LIVE in Spain (your comment) does not imply that you have residency.  You have to apply for that.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top